Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

One year in East Algarve - help!

One year in East Algarve - help!

Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice
Default Re: One year in East Algarve - help!

Originally Posted by EMR
I can see more snow outside the window than we have seen in years....and that is the Algarve.
Worse further North.
No complaints because we need the rain but the sun does not always shine..
Snow in Algarve! My family has lived there for many generations and they have never seen snow.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 7:09 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoff
Snow in Algarve! My family has lived there for many generations and they have never seen snow.
Snow on Monchique and the hills us not unknown.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

chicaescocesa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cherrypop

Yes I'm on all the Facebook groups (I think!). I do see a few properties but they are either very expensive (or I think so anyway!) or they are not suitable. I saw a 2 bed wooden chalet today advertised for 1100 euros a month plus bills! Can't justify paying that. Prices are set by the market and driven by demand but if we need to pay more than 1000 euros for a 2 bed apartment I'm not sure the move is viable at all. We are over on a fact finding mission in a few weeks time so will hopefully have a better idea after that. Many thanks, hope you are settling in well to your new life!
Old Mar 5th 2018, 12:10 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicaescocesa
Hi Cherrypop

Yes I'm on all the Facebook groups (I think!). I do see a few properties but they are either very expensive (or I think so anyway!) or they are not suitable. I saw a 2 bed wooden chalet today advertised for 1100 euros a month plus bills! Can't justify paying that. Prices are set by the market and driven by demand but if we need to pay more than 1000 euros for a 2 bed apartment I'm not sure the move is viable at all. We are over on a fact finding mission in a few weeks time so will hopefully have a better idea after that. Many thanks, hope you are settling in well to your new life!
You need to look outside of tourist enclaves.

Once you go 10,15 km inland or unfashionable areas for non Portuguese like Olhao, Faro city, , the less attractive parts of Albufeira, villages like Algoz, further west near Portimao, Parchal, Estombar ,areas where the Portuguese not tourists and expats live you will find properties within your range.
When you visit you will see the large numbers of apartment blocks that provide the homes for those on incomes way below those in the UK.
But they are not usually offered for rental by the agents who focus on non Portuguese.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Hi EMR

It is the Olhao area I've been looking at actually. We have been and stayed in Olhao several times so have seen the apartment blocks. Have also been looking at Sao Bras, Messines and Silves. We don't really want to live in a 'tourist' area. I have a feeling business is done more face to face in Portugal than online so it may be a case of Airbnb for the first month and see if we can get something sorted.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Hi EMR

It is the Olhao area I've been looking at actually. We have been and stayed in Olhao several times so have seen the apartment blocks. Have also been looking at Sao Bras, Messines and Silves. We don't really want to live in a 'tourist' area. I have a feeling business is done more face to face in Portugal than online so it may be a case of Airbnb for the first month and see if we can get something sorted.
That's what we did, six weeks rental and walk the streets.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

And...were you successful?
Old Mar 5th 2018, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

And...were you successful?
Yes found a great apartment on long term rental only problem it was unfurnished and we let our home furnished so had to beg and borrow some essentials for first year .
Old Mar 6th 2018, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

fourmovetothealgarve is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Newbie here but wanted to say hello, we have made the decision to move our family to the Algarve. Our girls are 8&11 and we are potentially looking to home school until we can source (or afford) a good school. We are hoping to rent our UK home and then rent for a while in Portugal until we can buy. We are just starting to look at the official paperwork and process (we have friends who live there) and it feels like a big step for us all but we need to give our girls the life they deserve, the rat race has taken its toll and I agree with you about living outdoors more.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

tonisdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi EMR

OLX.pt which is an online ad mag if you like has quite a range of rental properties. Both private people and rental companies advertise.
Regards weather very very few days our Grandaughter is not able to get out to play for a hour or two and she is not building snowmen when she is out
Old Mar 14th 2018, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Hi EMR

I'm in Sao Bras and can't recommend it highly enough. There's a very good community where getting involved and getting to know people is very easy. It's close enough to lots of other places, the coast included, but far enough inland to offer value for money for property.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 7:41 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

So what happened in the end ?

Did you move to Olhão ?

What kind of accomm have you found and at what rental ? And did you find a school to your satisfaction ?

Jus' Wondrin' lol
Old Aug 25th 2019, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

flatlndr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cherrypop
I'm in Sao Bras and can't recommend it highly enough. There's a very good community where getting involved and getting to know people is very easy. It's close enough to lots of other places, the coast included, but far enough inland to offer value for money for property.
Hi,

My wife & I have a house in the East Algarve (Manta Rota), which we are looking to sell. We want to go more inland, away from the touristy areas, someplace where there are year-round residents, with a portion of ex-pats to help ease our transition, yet not so great an expat population that it is no longer a Portuguese area. We "found" Sao Bras during our last visit, so we intend to stay there for several weeks during the winter to get a better sense of it.

Do you recommend any particular estate agents in the area (and any to avoid?), and do you know how to find properties local properties that are not listed with agencies - other than noticing private for sale signs?

Are there any sub-groups here, or maybe Facebook groups, that focus on S.B.?

Obrigado,
AJ

Last edited by flatlndr; Aug 25th 2019 at 1:01 pm. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old Aug 25th 2019, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by flatlndr
Hi,

My wife & I have a house in the East Algarve (Manta Rota), which we are looking to sell. We want to go more inland, away from the touristy areas, someplace where there are year-round residents, with a portion of ex-pats to help ease our transition, yet not so great an expat population that it is no longer a Portuguese area. We "found" Sao Bras during our last visit, so we intend to stay there for several weeks during the winter to get a better sense of it.

Do you recommend any particular estate agents in the area (and any to avoid?), and do you know how to find properties local properties that are not listed with agencies - other than noticing private for sale signs?

Are there any sub-groups here, or maybe Facebook groups, that focus on S.B.?

Obrigado,
AJ
Excellent choice of location. It's been over 18 months for me and it just gets better, I can't imagine being anywhere else.
I bought my property through a small, family-run estate agents called Vistas do Algarve. I also know a few people who have used Divine Homes and have been very happy. I have a Portuguese builder-friend who has done lots of work for me who may well know of properties that might be for sale that aren't advertised. Perhaps you'd like to message me privately and we can link up? I'd be more than happy to introduce you and your wife to a few people so you can a feel for what's on offer here.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

flatlndr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cherrypop
Excellent choice of location. It's been over 18 months for me and it just gets better, I can't imagine being anywhere else.
I bought my property through a small, family-run estate agents called Vistas do Algarve. I also know a few people who have used Divine Homes and have been very happy. I have a Portuguese builder-friend who has done lots of work for me who may well know of properties that might be for sale that aren't advertised. Perhaps you'd like to message me privately and we can link up? I'd be more than happy to introduce you and your wife to a few people so you can a feel for what's on offer here.
Thank you!