Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

One Step Forward, Several Going Backwards...

One Step Forward, Several Going Backwards...

Old Aug 11th 2020, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Step Forward, Several Going Backwards...

Originally Posted by Shanorme
Actually, our UK address is on our Portuguese bank account.
If you are not a tax resident, then why would you have a Portuguese address linked to your Portuguese bank account?
Of course things might change after Brexit proper,
Old Aug 11th 2020, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lelandy
... Lots of people forget (or otherwise) to change their NIF to resident on gaining residencia, as this kicks in tax obligations beyond IMI.
It also potentially loses tax advantages such as NHR and reduced capital gains tax amongst others as well as being an offence.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

Absolutely Richard, which is why we went straight from the Câmara to Finanças
Old Aug 11th 2020, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

​​​​​​Can I ask you about going to financials to change your UK address to PT address did you download a form to take. Which ticket did you need for what balcao

Old Aug 11th 2020, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Campanula
​​​​​​Can I ask you about going to financials to change your UK address to PT address did you download a form to take. Which ticket did you need for what balcao
Sorry, was a couple of years ago so can't remember the details, but was pretty straightforward even with my (then) appalling Portuguese. We just took Residencias, NIF cards, and ID (passport) and came out with confirmation papers, think there was a small fee.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

Ok thanks , same for me did it years ago. I’m sure I got the form and filled it in first . Maybe someone has been recently. I know with Covid they are encouraging this before either getting an appointment or going to wait in the queue
Old Aug 12th 2020, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
If you are not a tax resident, then why would you have a Portuguese address linked to your Portuguese bank account?
Of course things might change after Brexit proper,
I was pointing out that the address on the bank account didn't matter. The bank account seems to be more about proving flow of expenses in Portugal in a simple way, to at least give some credence to people having spent 90 days in the country.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

I was pointing out that the address on the bank account didn't matter. The bank account seems to be more about proving flow of expenses in Portugal in a simple way, to at least give some credence to people having spent 90 days in the country.
But surely if people who have only just arrived are being registered (on production of the relevant stuff), then why should you need to do this?
Old Aug 12th 2020, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coleio
Hi,
I'm not trying to make it difficult but you must realise that Portugal has a variable application of administration (and other things) so different authorities, offices, people apply what THEY think are the rules - it works for them so difficult to argue against. I'm also not sure if you can assume that if it's logical therefore it's true.
I got NIF and then Portuguese bank accounts (3 different banks just in case) using my UK address, also a Lawyer who I gave power of attorney to. The Finance office, banks, Notary and lawyer were all a short walk from each other as was the estate agent I used so all was done in an afternoon (closed for lunch). Obviously this may not work if you decide you need the address associated with NIF to be a Portuguese one.
Many thanks for your comments, which are very helpful and encouraging. I guess moving to a new country is not supposed to be easy, even though I've done it twice before.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tash79
Hello,

Our future plans are not so dis-similar, in our most recent visit we have given our lawyer power of attorney (43 euro)as we plan to buy long term. She was then able to apply for and receive NIF within 1 day turnaround and we then opened a joint bank account for husband and I using our UK address the day after which took 40 minutes.

It is ideal if you are able to set up these things with the 'end Portuguese address' but are told it's a small inconvenience to have to ammend this at a later date in comparison to being able to acquire the NIF and Bank accounts earlier.
We are actively looking to buy at the moment but have been told should we go down the rental route Tavira (which is also where we are looking) we are advised a years rental contract (maybe as others mention those with experience within Tavira know this is what they will expect?
We are next out end September to do another super charged property viewings!
I can email you the documents we needed to bring to acquire these things if you will find it helpful?

It sounds like we are on similar paths and stages with our future plans, I will certainly keep you updated if you find that useful and equally appreciate it if you could do the same.
All the best and good luck for us both navigating this adventure!
Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I managed to find three property agents yesterday all of whom actually replied to my emails, and so my plan is now to arrive on 24 August, stay in a hotel for a week and to look for a three-month rental during that time and to start from September. I have also found a company to help with the processing of the paperwork so I'm hopefully that will cut down on the anticipated stress. My wife has just told me that we have (surprise) a UK bank account, however the statements come to our Hong Kong address. I am planning to take any and all such documents that might be required with me and to make several copies of each.
Once I've got somewhere fixed to stay I will also start looking for properties to buy, although I will not be able to part with a penny before my wife has viewed any prospective properties with her own eyes and done her usual "flush the toilets and turn on the taps" test
Old Aug 12th 2020, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
But surely if people who have only just arrived are being registered (on production of the relevant stuff), then why should you need to do this?
You are supposed to have been in Portugal for 90 days (per annum) before registering , hence the bank statement proving movement through the account as a simple way of determining whether it is likely.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

You are supposed to have been in Portugal for 90 days (per annum) before registering , hence the bank statement proving movement through the account as a simple way of determining whether it is likely.
I thought that it you had to register after having been there for 90 days. I think different areas have a different interpretation on it. So I uknderstand fro here anyway.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bons
I thought that it you had to register after having been there for 90 days. I think different areas have a different interpretation on it. So I uknderstand fro here anyway.
Yes, I said you had to register after 90 days. It does not say that the 90 days (3 months) has to be consecutive.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...l/index_en.htm

"EU citizens who remain in Portugal for longer than 3 months have to formalise their right of residence by registering.After 3 months in Portugal, EU citizens have 30 days to register, after which they receive a registration certificate."

Old Aug 12th 2020, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

I mean, I thought you could register at any time, but it had to be done by 90 days. I didn't write my other post well.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bons
I mean, I thought you could register at any time, but it had to be done by 90 days. I didn't write my other post well.
Ah, I see.

Honestly, I don't think they are being too strict about the application of it - probably trying to be pragmatic considering Brexit is looming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.