Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

One Step Forward, Several Going Backwards...

One Step Forward, Several Going Backwards...

Old Aug 10th 2020, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default One Step Forward, Several Going Backwards...

Ten days ago I found a property agent in Tavira offering long term rentals and so I emailed them with my fairly short list of requirements, an important one of which was that I needed a rental contract as I was applying for residency. I received a polite reply with details of a property and so I replied to that message with a few more basic questions - minimum rental period etc., etc. That was a week ago and having not received a reply I just telephoned the office and spoke to the same person who emailed me and provided the information. She said that she had not replied as she "was busy" but said she could answer my questions right now while on the phone. The answers were all in line with expectation until it came to a "rental contract", and she said that this couldn't be provided unless on a rental of one year or longer. Is this correct? Others have commented on this forum that they have obtained the necessary contract even from an Air B&B. This is confusing and irritating all at the same time. I'm ready to fly. I just need somewhere to stay and the all important contract.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Step Forward, Several Going Backwards...

We were not asked for the deeds of our house nor were we even questioned about whether we owned the property or rented it - in fact we didn't provide it at all. They were far more interested in the Portuguese bank account - although they didn't check the statement as they were more interested in our names & address appearing on the statement, also very interested in the NIF certificate & invoices which had our names plus NIF number & Portuguese address on.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

For us, minimum period of contract recognisable for our purpose in the Tomar area was 3 months. Six months is also available but we didn't need one that long. The three months one was also RENEWABLE written into the contract and I think that was significant. Over a year's contract comes under different rulings I believe and is more restrictive as to what the landlord can do to get rid of you - tenants rights etc ... That is what we were told ... A private contract can be done using a local Lawyer/notary - who draws up the wording, and gets you and the landlord to sign having confirmed in their presence the details. Can't help further - perhaps it is different on the Algarve?
Old Aug 10th 2020, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shanorme
We were not asked for the deeds of our house nor were we even questioned about whether we owned the property or rented it - in fact we didn't provide it at all. They were far more interested in the Portuguese bank account - although they didn't check the statement as they were more interested in our names & address appearing on the statement, also very interested in the NIF certificate & invoices which had our names plus NIF number & Portuguese address on.
Sorry, Portuguese bank account? I thought you needed a physical address before you could open a bank account...? Is this the case or can you open a bank account with a foreign address?

My understanding is that I need to find somewhere to live and acquire a contract, then apply for NIF and then open a bank account. Seems logical.

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I'm not trying to make it difficult but you must realise that Portugal has a variable application of administration (and other things) so different authorities, offices, people apply what THEY think are the rules - it works for them so difficult to argue against. I'm also not sure if you can assume that if it's logical therefore it's true.
I got NIF and then Portuguese bank accounts (3 different banks just in case) using my UK address, also a Lawyer who I gave power of attorney to. The Finance office, banks, Notary and lawyer were all a short walk from each other as was the estate agent I used so all was done in an afternoon (closed for lunch). Obviously this may not work if you decide you need the address associated with NIF to be a Portuguese one.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Tash79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Our future plans are not so dis-similar, in our most recent visit we have given our lawyer power of attorney (43 euro)as we plan to buy long term. She was then able to apply for and receive NIF within 1 day turnaround and we then opened a joint bank account for husband and I using our UK address the day after which took 40 minutes.

It is ideal if you are able to set up these things with the 'end Portuguese address' but are told it's a small inconvenience to have to ammend this at a later date in comparison to being able to acquire the NIF and Bank accounts earlier.
We are actively looking to buy at the moment but have been told should we go down the rental route Tavira (which is also where we are looking) we are advised a years rental contract (maybe as others mention those with experience within Tavira know this is what they will expect?
We are next out end September to do another super charged property viewings!
I can email you the documents we needed to bring to acquire these things if you will find it helpful?

It sounds like we are on similar paths and stages with our future plans, I will certainly keep you updated if you find that useful and equally appreciate it if you could do the same.
All the best and good luck for us both navigating this adventure!
Old Aug 11th 2020, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coleio
Hi,
I'm not trying to make it difficult but you must realise that Portugal has a variable application of administration (and other things) so different authorities, offices, people apply what THEY think are the rules - it works for them so difficult to argue against. I'm also not sure if you can assume that if it's logical therefore it's true.
I got NIF and then Portuguese bank accounts (3 different banks just in case) using my UK address, also a Lawyer who I gave power of attorney to. The Finance office, banks, Notary and lawyer were all a short walk from each other as was the estate agent I used so all was done in an afternoon (closed for lunch). Obviously this may not work if you decide you need the address associated with NIF to be a Portuguese one.
Which Camara did you go to?
Old Aug 11th 2020, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shanorme

Hmm. This could be another problem for me. My Activo account - which I can't currently access because of lack of multichannel code (as mentioned) - has my UK address on it, as it's the only one I had when I opened it. They said I could update it at some point with the Port address, but there was no hurry. And now to update the address I have to go to an Activo branch - the nearest one is over 200 km away (and I won't have a car).

I do have GB bank account statements with Portuguese address on them. Is that likely to be sufficient? Obviously by then (next month) the funds (€10,000 or so) will be in my Activo account.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suiko
Hmm. This could be another problem for me. My Activo account - which I can't currently access because of lack of multichannel code (as mentioned) - has my UK address on it, as it's the only one I had when I opened it. They said I could update it at some point with the Port address, but there was no hurry. And now to update the address I have to go to an Activo branch - the nearest one is over 200 km away (and I won't have a car).

I do have GB bank account statements with Portuguese address on them. Is that likely to be sufficient? Obviously by then (next month) the funds (€10,000 or so) will be in my Activo account.
It's a nightmare when you're not there. I'm losing hope of making it in time.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well one piece of good news, my husband's passport expired in February but they said you had to wait a bit to get the blue one. Then Covid 19 hit. Anyway, it's being printed as I type and will be on it's way shortly. My passport expires in September, but I've sent it for renewal and that should be on it's way soon.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
Sorry, Portuguese bank account? I thought you needed a physical address before you could open a bank account...? Is this the case or can you open a bank account with a foreign address?

My understanding is that I need to find somewhere to live and acquire a contract, then apply for NIF and then open a bank account. Seems logical.

Thanks for your help.
Actually, our UK address is on our Portuguese bank account.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coleio
Hi,
Our lawyer also arranged our NIF number.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bons
Well one piece of good news, my husband's passport expired in February but they said you had to wait a bit to get the blue one. Then Covid 19 hit. Anyway, it's being printed as I type and will be on it's way shortly. My passport expires in September, but I've sent it for renewal and that should be on it's way soon.
Ha, never count your chickens, I've just had an email saying that my photo isn't up to aviation something nor other so I have to send another. When you upload the photo there is a sort of meter going from red to green, green being good. The needle went to exactly the same place, his was OK mine not.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

I got non-resident NIF and opened Activo acc with Italian address. Both to be updated when I get my residency.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

I think most people start out with an estrangeiro, or non resident NIF and Bank Account, for which a foreign address is normal. When you gain residency (and become resident...) you change both. Obviously some circumstances negate the need for such, but its far from unusual. Lots of people forget (or otherwise) to change their NIF to resident on gaining residencia, as this kicks in tax obligations beyond IMI.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.