Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

OMG - Tavira covid hotspot!

OMG - Tavira covid hotspot!

Old Dec 30th 2020, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road
Default OMG - Tavira covid hotspot!

I regularly visit this site (see link below) to check on what's going on ref: covid. Always been reassuring about Tavira and east algarve generally. But numbers over last few days, for Tavira, have been odd, rather high and now, today, Tavira is worse than Albuferia, Lagos, Faro and anywhere else. 88 New cases which is massive for Tavira. What's the real situation on the ground? Link to site below.

https://www.sulinformacao.pt/mapa-de...19-no-algarve/
Old Dec 30th 2020, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future
Default Re: OMG - Tavira covid hotspot!

10 new cases today in Tavira. This is what happened yesterday:

COVID: update of the county's epidemiological situation 29.12.2020

In view of the data now released, it is important to inform the population that the exponential increase in confirmed cases is due to two duly identified outbreaks. An outbreak in one of the county's homes led to 25 new cases and is being monitored by the competent authorities, namely in the area of ​​Health, Social Security and local authority.

The remaining new cases (43), mostly, originated among users of a place of physical activity (gym), having extended to family members and close contacts. This contagion has been revealed in the increase we have seen in the past few days, with 12 of the 14 new cases from last Saturday belonging to this focus.

Both outbreaks are being monitored by the local health authorities who continue to test the infected people's network of contacts.

Given the time in question, we must redouble the care to be taken in order to stop the proportions that these contagions will have in the population of our municipality.

Again and more than ever, we call for compliance with the rules imposed by health authorities, maintaining social distance and reducing contacts to a minimum (even between family and friends).

Since the beginning of the pandemic, this is the worst scenario that we have seen, so we call for the collaboration and sense of responsibility of all Tavirans.
Old Dec 30th 2020, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

Old Dec 31st 2020, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point

A care home and 2 gyms apparently, the gym users took it home hence the high numbers. I suspect we will be moving up a level on 7th and by then the Xmas numbers will have started climbing. Pity, Tavira has done so well/been very lucky.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Lelandy for the comprehensive reply. It's reassuring that the source was tracked to just two places. It sort of means that the effort and restrictive measures that everyone is being so diligent about, are working. But it also shows how careful we all still need to be.

I was told by a gym in the UK that they had someone (a regular) come and us the gym that had covid. The gym management were mortified and quickly closed the gym for three days whilst they sterilised everything. They said that the person was only using a small area of the gym (weights I think). Once they had taken the measures and reopened there were no reported infections.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

A quick look at the updated statistics today once again has Tavira showing the highest number of infections beating Albuferia, Lagos, Loule, Olhao, Portimao, etc. I do hope gthat it is just a blip and that it will get back into single digits, which is where it was for weeks. Link to site below:
https://www.sulinformacao.pt/mapa-de...19-no-algarve/
Old Jan 4th 2021, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

How is the Covid pandemic there now? Here, Scotland has gone into full lockdown and Johnson is probably going to announce tougher measures for England after he has checked the latest figures, according to a spokesman. I suspect it will be a full lockdown or tier 4 going into full lockdown and tier 3 going into tier 4. Where I live our daily figures per 100,00 are less than the national average at the moment.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

BJ addressing the nation at 8pm. This is like a nightmare from which you cannot awake

Last edited by bons; Jan 4th 2021 at 2:01 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Tavira is now in the extremely high risk counties of Algarve. Yesterday, new infections were 28 but today, the new figures posted are 93 new cases. That is significantly higher than anywhere else on Algarve. I know there was an outbreak from the Gym but does anyone have any idea what is happening now? Are we seeing the effect of families getting together for Christmas?

Last edited by fergus; Jan 7th 2021 at 1:08 pm.