British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Non habitual residency scheme and living in Baixo Alentejo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/non-habitual-residency-scheme-living-baixo-alentejo-904120/)

Seanie Oct 4th 2017 8:18 am

Non habitual residency scheme and living in Baixo Alentejo

Hello there,

I'm a newbie heading to Portugal next week. Looking to see if anyone has any experience of registering for the non habitual residency scheme or useful contacts.

Also looking for any advice or suggestions for living in Baixo Alentejo, looking for something in or close to a town with some facilities. All advice and help welcomed.

Thankyou in advance.

Loafing Along Oct 4th 2017 8:37 am

Re: Non habitual residency scheme and living in Baixo Alentejo

Originally Posted by Seanie (Post 12353236)
Hello there,

I'm a newbie heading to Portugal next week. Looking to see if anyone has any experience of registering for the non habitual residency scheme or useful contacts.

Also looking for any advice or suggestions for living in Baixo Alentejo, looking for something in or close to a town with some facilities. All advice and help welcomed.

Thankyou in advance.

NHR process quite straightforward if you have not lived in Portugal in the last five years and are of pensionable age.

1. Register residency at local Town Hall
2. Register with Tax authorities and get a Fiscal Number
3. Register on Finanzas web site - get an access pasword to their site which takes about a week/ten days as they post it to your portuguese address
4. With help of a portuguese speaking friend follow steps through NHR registration on the Finanzas web - takes about 48 hours from doing the process to receiving on the same site a pdf confirmation.

Seanie Oct 4th 2017 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Loafing Along (Post 12353247)
NHR process quite straightforward if you have not lived in Portugal in the last five years and are of pensionable age.

1. Register residency at local Town Hall
2. Register with Tax authorities and get a Fiscal Number
3. Register on Finanzas web site - get an access pasword to their site which takes about a week/ten days as they post it to your portuguese address
4. With help of a portuguese speaking friend follow steps through NHR registration on the Finanzas web - takes about 48 hours from doing the process to receiving on the same site a pdf confirmation.

Thanks for the speedie reply. I am 55 retired early with a company pension, is that more difficult? It seems like a process you can do yourself rather than pay someone to do it for you?

Loafing Along Oct 4th 2017 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Seanie (Post 12353250)
Thanks for the speedie reply. I am 55 retired early with a company pension, is that more difficult? It seems like a process you can do yourself rather than pay someone to do it for you?

No not a difficulty, being a pensioner makes it more straightforward as there is a specific category for EU pensioners in the scheme.

Yes definitely you can do it yourself, if your portuguese is up to it the steps are quite clear on the Finanzas web.

https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt...action?pai=154

EMR Oct 4th 2017 9:46 am

Remember, the tax holiday relates only to certain types of income, NOT all income.

ouriquejan Oct 4th 2017 3:35 pm

Hi, we're near Ourique. We have just about everything here, couple of supermarkets, library, health clinic, banks, opticians, chemists, hardware shops. Lots of restaurants, cafes.

Castro Verde is bigger.

Both have a fairly large foreign community, which you can either join in with or ignore.

Ninmurai Oct 22nd 2017 9:49 pm

Even at the small end of 30s and far from retirement it was a piece of cake for me. Just fill in the year you started residence and tick a box confirming you were not tax resident in the last 5 years and you're good to go.

It took me all of 2 minutes, most of which was translating Portuguese to English

David_c Nov 14th 2017 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Seanie (Post 12353236)
Hello there,

Thankyou in advance.

Hey Seanie, I hope you are enjoying your stay in Portugal, it's a lovely country indeed.
Concerning the non habitual residency procedure, it's a rather simple procedure but in some cases it could raise problems and so it would be wise to get advice from a professional.
I do have a contact of a lawyer in a firm that deals with a lot of NHR's. If you're interested I can provide you with details.

Looking forward to hear from you, and wish you best of luck.
Regards,
David.