British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   No Win No Fee Lawyer - Is there such a thing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/no-win-no-fee-lawyer-there-such-thing-934016/)

DoubleFilms Jul 28th 2020 8:53 am

No Win No Fee Lawyer - Is there such a thing?

Hi,

Is there such a thing as a No-Win-No-Fee Accident Lawyer in Portugal?

If so, how do I find one?

If not, how do I find a good English speaking accident lawyer near Lagos?

Thanks,

santaanita Jul 28th 2020 2:15 pm

Re: No Win No Fee Lawyer - Is there such a thing?

if there was i would have expected to see them in adverts on RTP and i havent so think not

dingg Jul 28th 2020 2:44 pm

I got told by a gentleman who has lived here for 30 plus years the court system is an absolute waste of time. Even trying to get someone to appear takes years as theres no penalty until 3 no shows and it just goes on and on and you're forever forking out to your lawyer.

Whether this is all true or not I don't know but maybe worth checking it out

liveaboard Jul 28th 2020 5:36 pm

A neighbor of mine just lost the case against him; after 20 years!
He had all his property well hidden by then, so the winner didn't get much from him.

The state of the legal system make contracts practically unenforceable and is probably a major reason for the lagging of the PT economy.

DoubleFilms Jul 29th 2020 5:38 pm

Well, I just saw a lawyer who basically said there's no point pursuing it, even though I have a good case.

I've never needed a lawyer in such capacity before, either in UK or PT, but it is something that goes in the 'against' box for PT unfortunately.

I'm sure this would have been different in the UK.

liveaboard Jul 29th 2020 11:44 pm

On the positive side, you found a lawyer who gave you honest advice, denying himself a case.

macliam Jul 30th 2020 12:22 am

Originally Posted by liveaboard (Post 12888665)
A neighbor of mine just lost the case against him; after 20 years!
He had all his property well hidden by then, so the winner didn't get much from him.

The state of the legal system make contracts practically unenforceable and is probably a major reason for the lagging of the PT economy.

Strangely, I've found it to be the other way - the customer is always wrong.

I halted a build after several major issues with the builder (including him illegally commencing the work without approval and leaving me liable to a huge fine) and then walking of site due to "lack of materials", but the attitude of the court has been that I should pay him regardless, because we had a contract - including his "right" to make a profit on work he hasn't done! This has not been made in a final judgement (so I am unable to appeal it), but every step of the way it has been necessary for me to prove the builder's dishonesty. The most frustrating part is that the court will only take each issue in isolation, rather than accepting that my reason for halting the work is because the guy is a conman.

So far it is over three years (and fees to the lawyer, court and a court-approved surveyor) and I am still not able to recommence the work with another builder - so, rather than a new extension and improvements to my house, I have some very expensive storage and a house with less facilities than before the work commenced.

liveaboard Jul 30th 2020 8:51 am

You describe a case in point; years of court dates with no end in sight, over a minor matter that should have been settled long ago.
Your contractor acts as he does because he knows the system well.
Either of you could keep the case going for decades; but if one of you needs it settled [that would be you], then that person will be the loser.

We had our work done paying daily wages. Archaic, no contracts, but no litigation either.

Good luck with your case and your construction work. I hope you get a settlement one day soon.