Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

And the nightmare begins

And the nightmare begins

Old Nov 17th 2020, 7:52 pm
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 803
bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall View Post
From: https://www.easyjet.com/en/fly-with-confidence

"It’s important that the masks we wear provide the best possible protection. That’s why we’re no longer allowing scarves, face visors or masks with valves.

The mask you wear should be FFP2 (or equivalent) certified, surgical or cloth."
Yes, that what I read and our masks won't be good enough. I'll get some, I have enough time.
bons is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2020, 8:37 pm
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 118
atlasthemonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

note to Bons....do your homework BEFORE you go. The LIsbon business class have left the city to work from "home" in a rented suburb apartment to escape city covid. It is virtualy impossible to rent a property within 50miles of Lisbon for your residency requirements.
atlasthemonk is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2020, 8:38 pm
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 118
atlasthemonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Sorry for hijacking the thread....just trying to help
atlasthemonk is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2020, 9:31 pm
  #19  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 803
bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Originally Posted by atlasthemonk View Post
note to Bons....do your homework BEFORE you go. The LIsbon business class have left the city to work from "home" in a rented suburb apartment to escape city covid. It is virtualy impossible to rent a property within 50miles of Lisbon for your residency requirements.
I'm not looking to get residency in Lisbon, I'm going to the Algarve. My return flight from Faro was cancelled so I've had to book one from Lisbon. We'll hire a car that we can pick up in Faro and return to Lisbon. We're not hanging around in Lisbon, it's straight to the airport which is a shame because I've never been to Lisbon. Another day...
bons is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2020, 9:32 pm
  #20  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 803
bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Originally Posted by atlasthemonk View Post
Sorry for hijacking the thread....just trying to help
That's ok, that's why I came onto the forum.
bons is offline  
Old Nov 18th 2020, 11:01 am
  #21  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2018
Location: Obidos
Posts: 292
Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Originally Posted by bons View Post
Easyjet. I don't mind them keepingus safe, I am a bit worried having to go to Lisbon as I think the Covid rate is high there.
Thanks, must be a company policy as there is no specific type requirement in aviation as a whole.
Pilotabroad is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 3:19 pm
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 118
atlasthemonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Just booked a flight from Lisbon back to Edinburgh via skyscanner /Ryanair. No direct flight were available so I will spend 8 hours in Dublin.
On checking Ryanair web sight , there are no flights to Edinburgh for a month.
Question
Does the Ryanair sight only show direct flights or has my flight already been canceled ?
Bons are you in a similar position?
atlasthemonk is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 4:29 pm
  #23  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 803
bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Originally Posted by atlasthemonk View Post
Just booked a flight from Lisbon back to Edinburgh via skyscanner /Ryanair. No direct flight were available so I will spend 8 hours in Dublin.
On checking Ryanair web sight , there are no flights to Edinburgh for a month.
Question
Does the Ryanair sight only show direct flights or has my flight already been canceled ?
Bons are you in a similar position?
We're on Easyjet and I have a direct flight out to Faro and a direct return flight from Lisbon. I've had one flight cancelled return from Faro. I'm checking my account twice daily as they omitted to inform me that the Faro/Luton flight had been cancelled, although they seem to be keeping me informed now. So, as it stands, we're flying out on the 5th December, anything can happen and if any part of the journey is cancelled again, we'll probably drive through France, Spain and into Portugal. That is frought itself with fear of border closures if the pandemic worsens in those countries. I am getting a bit fearful of flying re covid though, my husband read an article that masks don't really keep out the virus...
bons is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 5:23 pm
  #24  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 349
fergus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

If your flight is not cancelled I would not worry about flying and getting covid. Based on my experience flying to faro the airports were extraordinarily quiet. There was no queue of any sort for security at both airports. The flight had no more than 40 people on it and it was easy to sit away from others. Boarding was very swift and it seemed that as soon as they opened the gate for boarding, they also started boarding. So once you got to the gate, had ticket checked etc., then instead of waiting in in the gate area you simply walk onto the plane and take your seat. This was with ryanair in September this year. I expect the flights are even quieter now. If I could I would do it again without hesitation. I think the risk is probably lower than going to the supermarket as on the flight everyone was cautious and anxious but at the supermarket many people are quite blase because they have got used to it.

Hope this helps and good luck.
fergus is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 6:02 pm
  #25  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 803
bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Originally Posted by fergus View Post
If your flight is not cancelled I would not worry about flying and getting covid. Based on my experience flying to faro the airports were extraordinarily quiet. There was no queue of any sort for security at both airports. The flight had no more than 40 people on it and it was easy to sit away from others. Boarding was very swift and it seemed that as soon as they opened the gate for boarding, they also started boarding. So once you got to the gate, had ticket checked etc., then instead of waiting in in the gate area you simply walk onto the plane and take your seat. This was with ryanair in September this year. I expect the flights are even quieter now. If I could I would do it again without hesitation. I think the risk is probably lower than going to the supermarket as on the flight everyone was cautious and anxious but at the supermarket many people are quite blase because they have got used to it.

Hope this helps and good luck.
It does aleviate my fears a little thanks, but I'm wondering if they're cancelling flights as planes are not full and stuffing us all onto one flight.

Last edited by bons; Nov 22nd 2020 at 6:14 pm.
bons is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 7:17 pm
  #26  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 25
ShazD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

The drive is ok, but long! We flew out in August and as others have said, it felt very safe. We then flew back and drove over mid October as we had to bring a lot of stuff with us. Airports are very quiet, as are the roads. It is stressful either way due to the Covid situation changing constantly, but we did it, and are now here with our 3 cats and dog! Cats went via a transport company...we couldn't fit them in the car!
ShazD is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 8:49 pm
  #27  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 803
bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Originally Posted by ShazD View Post
The drive is ok, but long! We flew out in August and as others have said, it felt very safe. We then flew back and drove over mid October as we had to bring a lot of stuff with us. Airports are very quiet, as are the roads. It is stressful either way due to the Covid situation changing constantly, but we did it, and are now here with our 3 cats and dog! Cats went via a transport company...we couldn't fit them in the car!
We're used to driving, we always go on holiday in our camper van.We drove down to Portugal last year for a holiday, it's just a worry in case the borders close again. They don't seem to be though - at the moment.
bons is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 11:41 pm
  #28  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2018
Location: Obidos
Posts: 292
Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Originally Posted by bons View Post
It does aleviate my fears a little thanks, but I'm wondering if they're cancelling flights as planes are not full and stuffing us all onto one flight.
That is the current strategy for obvious reasons.
No direct info about easyjet but I can tell you that as of this afternoon other airlines have been sending out mass cancellations for all December and January. The general feeling is that at least the next 3months will be very quiet and with the new furlough scheme available many pilots and crew are now being furloughed as of this week.

To give you an idea of severity one airline has been running at only 30% of usual winter schedule... It is now planning between 5% - 15% max for Dec/Jan.

So in your case (yes I have been following haha), I think you are wise to check daily even if not informed.... A further backup plan may also be worth looking at.
Good luck
Pilotabroad is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 7:56 am
  #29  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,772
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Originally Posted by bons View Post
We're on Easyjet and I have a direct flight out to Faro and a direct return flight from Lisbon. I've had one flight cancelled return from Faro. I'm checking my account twice daily as they omitted to inform me that the Faro/Luton flight had been cancelled, although they seem to be keeping me informed now. So, as it stands, we're flying out on the 5th December, anything can happen and if any part of the journey is cancelled again, we'll probably drive through France, Spain and into Portugal. That is frought itself with fear of border closures if the pandemic worsens in those countries. I am getting a bit fearful of flying re covid though, my husband read an article that masks don't really keep out the virus...
Hi from the France forum! Not only border closures, but also the travel restrictions within France.
Keep an eye on the thread in the France forum ("Transiting through France during Covid"), giving updates on the Situation. The Président is making a statement on the TV tomorrow evening at 20h00, and we'll know whether the present travel restrictions will be lifted after 1st December (or at least before Christmas). Everything depends on the Covid figures, but restaurants/cafés/bars will remain closed until next year, come what may, which is a factor to be taken into account when driving from the north of France to the Spanish border....
HTH
dmu is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 8:10 am
  #30  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 803
bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad View Post
That is the current strategy for obvious reasons.
No direct info about easyjet but I can tell you that as of this afternoon other airlines have been sending out mass cancellations for all December and January. The general feeling is that at least the next 3months will be very quiet and with the new furlough scheme available many pilots and crew are now being furloughed as of this week.

To give you an idea of severity one airline has been running at only 30% of usual winter schedule... It is now planning between 5% - 15% max for Dec/Jan.

So in your case (yes I have been following haha), I think you are wise to check daily even if not informed.... A further backup plan may also be worth looking at.
Good luck
Of coure, it makes more sense for them to put people on one flight. This Covid is such a nightmare, I hope they start rolling out these vaccines next month.
bons is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.