Reload this Page >

And the nightmare begins

And the nightmare begins

Old Nov 23rd 2020, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: And the nightmare begins

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi from the France forum! Not only border closures, but also the travel restrictions within France.
Keep an eye on the thread in the France forum ("Transiting through France during Covid"), giving updates on the Situation. The Président is making a statement on the TV tomorrow evening at 20h00, and we'll know whether the present travel restrictions will be lifted after 1st December (or at least before Christmas). Everything depends on the Covid figures, but restaurants/cafés/bars will remain closed until next year, come what may, which is a factor to be taken into account when driving from the north of France to the Spanish border....
HTH
Thanks for that, I've got the thread in my bookmarks. I have been trying to keep up with the news in France and I know that French residents have to prove where they are going and why, are they checking tourists at the moment? I'll keep checking that thread!!!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

flatlndr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bons
Would I be able to get a hire car at Faro and drop it off at Lisbon?
Yes, I've done that.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 12:45 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I've got the thread in my bookmarks. I have been trying to keep up with the news in France and I know that French residents have to prove where they are going and why, are they checking tourists at the moment? I'll keep checking that thread!!!!!
Strictly speaking, there aren't any tourists, since travelling for pleasure isn't included in the Attestation! Not to mention that no restaurants/cafés/bars will be open in December and the hotels which have remained open (for businessmen, for example) offer room-service only for breakfast. French families hoping to be able to meet up at Christmas (yours truly included), will know more tomorrow evening....
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmu
Strictly speaking, there aren't any tourists, since travelling for pleasure isn't included in the Attestation! Not to mention that no restaurants/cafés/bars will be open in December and the hotels which have remained open (for businessmen, for example) offer room-service only for breakfast. French families hoping to be able to meet up at Christmas (yours truly included), will know more tomorrow evening....
By tourists, I meant people just driving through the country. If we drive we will be in our campervan so we'll be able to eat, sleep and make drinks in our own little bubble. Just a few stops for diesel.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Transit is allowed in the following cases:

1. EU/EEA nationals, as well as their spouse and children, joining their home country via France;

2. third country nationals holding a valid European residence permit or a long-term residence visa transiting via France to their home in an EU/EEA country;

3. international transits of less than 24h, provided that travellers don't leave the airport.

Travellers in transit are exempt from voluntary quarantine unless they show symptoms.

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/FRA/7004
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
Transit is allowed in the following cases:

1. EU/EEA nationals, as well as their spouse and children, joining their home country via France;

2. third country nationals holding a valid European residence permit or a long-term residence visa transiting via France to their home in an EU/EEA country;

3. international transits of less than 24h, provided that travellers don't leave the airport.

Travellers in transit are exempt from voluntary quarantine unless they show symptoms.

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/FRA/7004
Thanks for that. Still on for both flights at the moment.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lockdown to definitely end on the 2nd December, however, the tier system is coming back into play, our infections were rising and I am close to what was the highest infection rate in England last week, so I suppose we could be in tier 3. It was suggesed that quarantine would be addressed, I thought that meant for flights, but they only mentioned if you had to isolate after coming into contact with a Covid sufferer on track and trace. You can get a test every day if tack and trace contact you and only need to isolate if you test positive.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 7:18 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

By tourists, I meant people just driving through the country. If we drive we will be in our campervan so we'll be able to eat, sleep and make drinks in our own little bubble. Just a few stops for diesel.
As said, at the time of writing, only people returning to their principal place of residence (either returning from the Continent to the UK, or from the UK (or elsewhere) to their "home" in France/Spain/Portugal/Italy....) are allowed to do so. You'd need to prove this. Are you already officially "resident" in Portugal?
At present, people living in France must wait for the luxury of "freedom of movement"....
https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/ouver...res,11195.html
gives useful info, but I'm wondering whether private individuals with a campervan can sleep in the secure areas dedicated to long-distance lorry drivers. It's prohibited to park overnight elsewhere at the best of times.
https://www.autoroutes.fr/fr/parking...ids-lourds.htm
If you're seriously thinking of driving down, post on the France forum concerning sleeping on the autoroutes. I've never needed to do so and my info might be out-of-date, but some one been there, done that, may correct me on that front.
HTH

Old Nov 24th 2020, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmu
As said, at the time of writing, only people returning to their principal place of residence (either returning from the Continent to the UK, or from the UK (or elsewhere) to their "home" in France/Spain/Portugal/Italy....) are allowed to do so. You'd need to prove this. Are you already officially "resident" in Portugal?
At present, people living in France must wait for the luxury of "freedom of movement"....
https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/ouver...res,11195.html
gives useful info, but I'm wondering whether private individuals with a campervan can sleep in the secure areas dedicated to long-distance lorry drivers. It's prohibited to park overnight elsewhere at the best of times.
https://www.autoroutes.fr/fr/parking...ids-lourds.htm
If you're seriously thinking of driving down, post on the France forum concerning sleeping on the autoroutes. I've never needed to do so and my info might be out-of-date, but some one been there, done that, may correct me on that front.
HTH
Thanks for your help. We've been driving through France for over a decade and you can sleep out for at least one night whereever you want, it may be different now. The motorway aires are good paces to stop en route. We're only going to consider driving if the flights are cancelled, I don't want to fly or drive right now, but we have to present in person to gain residency in Portugal.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

They've announced the shorter quarantine period after travelling but it entails forking out another £100 each to reduce the quarantine time by 9 days.

Are Covid cases reducimg at all in Lisbon and the areas with higher rates of infection? That would be the best thing, no quarantine at all. Is news of the vaccines going down well in Portugal?

Last edited by bons; Nov 24th 2020 at 8:16 am.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 8:17 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for your help. We've been driving through France for over a decade and you can sleep out for at least one night whereever you want, it may be different now. The motorway aires are good paces to stop en route. We're only going to consider driving if the flights are cancelled, I don't want to fly or drive right now, but we have to present in person to gain residency in Portugal.
At the time of writing, you haven't got the right to drive through France. We'll know tonight whether this will be possible in December. As said somewhere else, the end-of-lockdown dates aren't fixed, the Covid-figures can go up at any time, which is why the gradual deconfinement in France is expected to start this coming weekend, with the non-essential shops reopening and possibly the "1 hour/1 km radius from home" physical activity condition extended in time and distance. The travel restrictions aren't likely to be lifted as from 1st December, but I may prove wrong this evening
Old Nov 24th 2020, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

For how things are going in Portugal you really need to be following on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/scalgarve/ - Safe Communities Portugal - although it is marked up as "algarve" it actually covers the whole country with the intention of keeping folk (particularly English-speaking expats) safe - Covid-19, Fire alerts, Weather warnings! at the moment very concentrated on the Covid-state-of-affairs. Lisbon infection rate is currently improving a little but still fairly dire compared to a couple of months ago, by far worst at present is Northern Portugal, Algarve keeping it down fairly well and Alentejo OK apart from a few local flare-ups. Unfortunately Central Portugal as we think of it is split either side of the Tejo valley (west with the Lisbon figures, east with the Alentejo), middle up to Viseu, north of Coimbra got local infections, Then north of that area comes under Northern Portugal. If you avoid crowds and dinner parties, keep your mask on anywhere where you might be in close contact with others even outdoors, obligatory in shops and offices, wash face and hands and masks (if re-useable) often etc, you will be OK. Ask for space if there is a queue anywhere, eg Security at the Airport - spread your bags around you! Hotels have a charter for enhanced cleaning and good practices ...
You should be OK as long as your flights run as planned! Good luck!
Old Nov 24th 2020, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

I think the whole world is happy that the vaccines may be coming on stream soon! Portugal has already contracted to get batches of those currently seeking approval within the EU. So health workers, Care-home providers and residents, essential workers, over 65s and immune-challenged-chronically sick, then the rest of the population - that is the planned order at present.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
For how things are going in Portugal you really need to be following on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/scalgarve/ - Safe Communities Portugal - although it is marked up as "algarve" it actually covers the whole country with the intention of keeping folk (particularly English-speaking expats) safe - Covid-19, Fire alerts, Weather warnings! at the moment very concentrated on the Covid-state-of-affairs. Lisbon infection rate is currently improving a little but still fairly dire compared to a couple of months ago, by far worst at present is Northern Portugal, Algarve keeping it down fairly well and Alentejo OK apart from a few local flare-ups. Unfortunately Central Portugal as we think of it is split either side of the Tejo valley (west with the Lisbon figures, east with the Alentejo), middle up to Viseu, north of Coimbra got local infections, Then north of that area comes under Northern Portugal. If you avoid crowds and dinner parties, keep your mask on anywhere where you might be in close contact with others even outdoors, obligatory in shops and offices, wash face and hands and masks (if re-useable) often etc, you will be OK. Ask for space if there is a queue anywhere, eg Security at the Airport - spread your bags around you! Hotels have a charter for enhanced cleaning and good practices ...
You should be OK as long as your flights run as planned! Good luck!
Thanks for that information. We've become very adept at keeping ourselves to ourselves, with the odd visit to the supermarket. Running on the beach and a bit of drving around just sightseeing will be good. If we can get a coffee outside in relative isolation that will be a bonus. We are only coming for one reason!!! There's no chance of the quarantine being lifted this end then? We will have to quarantine until December 31st.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've searched the esyjet pages and I can't find out where I have to have a landing form. I haven't checked in yet so maybe it will be there. I am so not used to this flying lark, as I said, we always drive!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.