Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Nice Atlantic coast Beaches

Nice Atlantic coast Beaches

Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nice Atlantic coast Beaches

We are taking our campervan to the coast tomorrow, starting at Figueira da Foz and just heading south.

We are looking for a quiet secluded beachy place to park up and chill for a few days, any suggestions?

This is quite a small forum, with not too many camper owners, so the secret shouldn't be spoiled.

Cheers
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:15 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice Atlantic coast Beaches

Originally Posted by AllanB
We are taking our campervan to the coast tomorrow, starting at Figueira da Foz and just heading south.

We are looking for a quiet secluded beachy place to park up and chill for a few days, any suggestions?

This is quite a small forum, with not too many camper owners, so the secret shouldn't be spoiled.

Cheers
Its August so you may not find anywhere quiet and secluded.
Wild camping is now increasingly frowned on with the GNR moving campers on from beaches where overnight parking is prohibited.
Best of luck.

Last edited by EMR; Aug 8th 2017 at 9:25 am.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Its August so you may not find anywhere quiet and secluded.
Wild camping is now increasingly frowned on with the GNU moving campers on from beaches where overnight parking is prohibited.
Best of luck.
FME, that doesn't really apply to campervans, the trend throughout Europe now, nearly all the coastal towns we have visited have campers parked up everywhere, nearly all free. We were touring the northern coast only last week and found that they even seem to allow caravans here in Portugal, a big no-no in most of Europe.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 10:45 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

FME, that doesn't really apply to campervans, the trend throughout Europe now, nearly all the coastal towns we have visited have campers parked up everywhere, nearly all free. We were touring the northern coast only last week and found that they even seem to allow caravans here in Portugal, a big no-no in most of Europe.
Not true, vans are being removed to official sites.
Places such as you mention closed.
You need to travel South, or to the national parks on the coast and see the trend that is happening.
Local councils are now providing sites where vanners can park for a modest fee and they are full.
Anyway Have a good break..
Old Aug 8th 2017, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
Not true, vans are being removed to official sites.
Places such as you mention closed.
You need to travel South, or to the national parks on the coast and see the trend that is happening.
Local councils are now providing sites where vanners can park for a modest fee and they are full.
Anyway Have a good break..
You can argue about this too if you like, but I have been doing this for the past 3 years, mainly in Portugal and around Europe too. Prior to that I did it on and off for about 20 years in total. I/we wild camp a lot and have never had a single problem with officials and only one incident where I had to move, was just to feel safer.

Millions of people are doing this around Europe and often only stay on paid campsites to use their facilities. I would guess that the people who get into trouble are those who abuse the system, by making a mess, staying too long or who choose an inappropriate spot. We don't do any of those things.

Throughout the 5 countries of Scandinavia they have a law called "hver mands ret" translated means "every man's right, which means you can stay one night anywhere you like, as long as it is not private property. And during the early 70's I spent a year on and off doing just that.

Last edited by AllanB; Aug 8th 2017 at 12:26 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 12:45 pm
EMR
Banned

You can argue about this too if you like, but I have been doing this for the past 3 years, mainly in Portugal and around Europe too. Prior to that I did it on and off for about 20 years in total. I/we wild camp a lot and have never had a single problem with officials and only one incident where I had to move, was just to feel safer.

Millions of people are doing this around Europe and often only stay on paid campsites to use their facilities. I would guess that the people who get into trouble are those who abuse the system, by making a mess, staying too long or who choose an inappropriate spot. We don't do any of those things.

Throughout the 5 countries of Scandinavia they have a law called "hver mands ret" translated means "every man's right, which means you can stay one night anywhere you like, as long as it is not private property. And during the early 70's I spent a year on and off doing just that.
Ask the 100 plus evicted from car parks in Silves or areas in Alvor blocked off by stones forcing them onto 1 crowded site.
Or in Lagos, Albufeira ..
There is no free camping law in Portugal, although as you say many abuse the tolerance shown by the communities they decide to park up in.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
Ask the 100 plus evicted from car parks in Silves or areas in Alvor blocked off by stones forcing them onto 1 crowded site.
Or in Lagos, Albufeira ..
There is no free camping law in Portugal, although as you say many abuse the tolerance shown by the communities they decide to park up in.
This is the problem you have when you get all your information form the MS media, you get a totally false picture of all situations. You loose touch with reality and because you don't bother to investigate, analyse, or reason and refuse to listen to anyone who has first hand experience, you remain ignorant...... and vote "remain".

I clearly told you I don't park in inappropriate locations, in fact I tend to park where there are other campervans for safety in numbers and most of the time in designated free sites. If I am in a completely wild camp I am very careful not to interfere with other people's lives and almost everyone I know does the same. With millions of campervans out there, these is extremely isolated incidents. Now you are lying again, I never said many abuse the system, completely misquoting me again, just to start an argument.

You and your other mates should get up from behind your computers and go out and find out how the world really works.

...and stop trolling this thread.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

coffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nice

Cheers
Pmed you
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:29 pm
EMR
Banned

This is the problem you have when you get all your information form the MS media, you get a totally false picture of all situations. You loose touch with reality and because you don't bother to investigate, analyse, or reason and refuse to listen to anyone who has first hand experience, you remain ignorant...... and vote "remain".

I clearly told you I don't park in inappropriate locations, in fact I tend to park where there are other campervans for safety in numbers and most of the time in designated free sites. If I am in a completely wild camp I am very careful not to interfere with other people's lives and almost everyone I know does the same. With millions of campervans out there, these is extremely isolated incidents. Now you are lying again, I never said many abuse the system, completely misquoting me again, just to start an argument.

You and your other mates should get up from behind your computers and go out and find out how the world really works.

...and stop trolling this thread.
There are few if any legally designated free sites in Portugal,
Facts.
Unless you park on an official site you are in theory breaking the law as many more find out every year.
Camper vans are a blot on the landscape and have outlived their welcome in much of the Algarve.
Maybe that is why you are seeing them in the North.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Fallacy or Fact !

Motorcaravan tourists continue to be harassed by Algarve police

The comment by "Mick" sum's up the problem completely

Last edited by Ingles; Aug 8th 2017 at 3:36 pm. Reason: added comment
Old Aug 8th 2017, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

I am not interesting in listening to this bollocks, if I worried about everything I read in the paper, I would become as paranoid as you guys about everything.. and stay at home, like you guys seem to do.

The people with real information are PMing me, which is a good idea.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Come to Viana. There are 2 parking spots for free. One at the river beach and one near the river mouth. Stacks of motor caravan campers there. Asphalt parking and all. Love those campers with their TV's, tent covers and barbecues.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Come to Viana. There are 2 parking spots for free. One at the river beach and one near the river mouth. Stacks of motor caravan campers there. Asphalt parking and all. Love those campers with their TV's, tent covers and barbecues.
That's north and funny enough we were there last week, it's really nice all the way up that coast, we did stay there, as the timing was wrong, had a coffee. Will stay there next time.

I like the home made campers, the owners always have a story to tell, one guy we met in Spain had built an extension on the back, looked odd, but interesting project. He toured with his sister and they had bunk beds.

IMO campers are the only way to see Europe, we couldn't afford to do it otherwise. It costs the same as staying home now we don't have ferries to pay for. We use about the same in diesel as we would at the DIY or garden centre. Stick the little 50cc scooter on the back and see a lot.

Cheers anyway...do you live in Viana?
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of wild camping around my area at the border between Alentejo and Faro on the West coast.
The GNR were chasing them away last year but seemed to have eased up this year.
The "no overnight parking" signs have been removed from some areas where the caravans like to park; the ones that are otherwise not used.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

I have found the UK to be the only exception when it comes to wild camping, they don't like it over there, but then they want money for everything. In Europe the camper, or motorhome goes and stays everywhere, it's kind of power of numbers. Especially among the £50-£100k jobbies.

We have a "stealth" set up with our camper, which is really handy, in town centres especially, looks like a parked van.

By thanks for that Liveabaord", we are leaving the Algarve for a future trip, so will bear in mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.