Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

NHR applications and cutoff dates for old regime

NHR applications and cutoff dates for old regime

Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHR applications and cutoff dates for old regime

I have been talking to a neighbour about his NHR application. and I wonder if the following is right.
He has a NIF registered to a UK address. He has his Residencia which was obtained in January 2019, and is about to change his NIF to his Portuguese address, which he will do tomorrow. He has been advised that the first year of application for NHR will be 2020, despite his having had his Residencia last year - in other words, the date applicable to his NHR commencement will be the date of his NIF being registered to here.

This seems extraordinary to me, especially as I would have thought a statement that he became resident in 2020 on his NHR application would surely be inaccurate. Both a solicitor and an accountant have told him the same. Any comments or clarifications welcome!
Old Feb 12th 2020, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by orangeblossom

This I knew from the disicussion in previous threads

This had been my understanding from the previous discussion. This is what my Portuguese accountant told was NOT the case. He said that since I had not changed my address on my NIF before the end of Dec 19 I would not now be elligible for the old regime. I queried this, saying since my certificate from the Camera had a date in 2019 surely I could now change my address and he told me that it might be possible but not without paying a fine and it would certainly complicate things.

is there chapter and verse you could supply that I could cite on date hat the new rules will come into force, if I wanted to challenge what my accountant told me?[/QUOTE]

Yes - s/he (or you) must look at the changes to the tax law that went through parliament. This law has not as yet been published but this should be soon. The clause dealing with the pre and post approval procedures are complex and maybe your accountant has not read these clauses properly. In summary, until the law has been approved, then the old law applies, after the new law comes into effect, the new law. These processes are sensitive to dates
Old Feb 13th 2020, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TonyJ1
The new rules will apply from the date of promulgation ie as per the date that the law will say that it becomes effective - likely the 1st of March, but could be earlier. The law has been approved by parliament, but still needs to be validated and signed by the state president, and then it is sent to be published in the government gazette. Only once published, does it become law.
Thanks for this clarification Tony and for the clarifications of others It seems that the information I was given about having to change one's address at the Financas before you apply and only being able to apply from the date when this had been done was correct but the information about when the new law would come into force was incorrect. I've been off the site for a few days sorting out problems with my. solar panels and as I'm leaving on Saturday and won't be back till part way through March, I will have to hope that it ends up being later than 1st March if I still want to go ahead. Not going to change my address at Financas till I know because that would just complicate things in the event that I was too late.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot for the life of me understand why you are delaying this.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 6:23 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddion
I have been talking to a neighbour about his NHR application. and I wonder if the following is right.
He has a NIF registered to a UK address. He has his Residencia which was obtained in January 2019, and is about to change his NIF to his Portuguese address, which he will do tomorrow. He has been advised that the first year of application for NHR will be 2020, despite his having had his Residencia last year - in other words, the date applicable to his NHR commencement will be the date of his NIF being registered to here.

This seems extraordinary to me, especially as I would have thought a statement that he became resident in 2020 on his NHR application would surely be inaccurate. Both a solicitor and an accountant have told him the same. Any comments or clarifications welcome!
When you say "he had his residencia last year", was that simply because he obtained a registration certificate from the Câmara or did he actually start residing and was in the country for more than 183 days?
Old Feb 14th 2020, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Thanks for this clarification Tony and for the clarifications of others It seems that the information I was given about having to change one's address at the Financas before you apply and only being able to apply from the date when this had been done was correct but the information about when the new law would come into force was incorrect. I've been off the site for a few days sorting out problems with my. solar panels and as I'm leaving on Saturday and won't be back till part way through March, I will have to hope that it ends up being later than 1st March if I still want to go ahead. Not going to change my address at Financas till I know because that would just complicate things in the event that I was too late.
You can back date your residence to the effective date you became resident - special form to be completed, if that is what you want to do. You might be subject to a penalty for late change of address, but this might be the lesser evil
Old Feb 14th 2020, 12:47 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You can back date your residence to the effective date you became resident - special form to be completed, if that is what you want to do. You might be subject to a penalty for late change of address, but this might be the lesser evil
I'm not getting at anyone here and I know orangeblossom is doing her best to comply with all the regs and simply to avail herself of a well-publicised benefit should it actually be on offer in her circumstances.

However, I still fail to see how anyone can qualify for NHR if not actually resident and tax resident at the time of application. One of orangeblossom's very understandable concerns as I see it - and one which would be particularly relevant if NHR were out of the equation - is not to accidentally fall into being treated as tax resident when she isn't and end up liable for tax on all her income. Now I know that's hardly likely to happen, not least because despite holding a residency registration certificate, she hasn't spent much longer than 90 days (if that, even) in the country before returning to the UK and is well short of the 183 before the tax authority here would even consider her resident if they found out.

I do understand that you can be tax resident for part of a year and I understand that you could move intending to stay and then have a change of plans and not remain for whatever reason (as orangeblossom appears to have done). So in her current situation - where she holds a residency registration certificate in which the tax authorities appear to set very little store (I think ) and never having previously reported herself as tax resident, and not intending to be tax resident for the foreseeable future - how can she be eligible to say she's tax resident in order to acquire NHR status for its future benefit to her? After all, if she's declaring her fiscal residence as Portugal, is she not simultaneously saying she's ceasing that residence in the UK?

I hope this doesn't come across as either pedantic or judgemental - it's really not supposed to be.

I do understand the facility that is available for suspension of the status once acquired, so, for example one could reside in PT with NHR status for a year or more and at any time within the 10 years, formally notify the tax office of a change of country of residence and request a suspension of NHR and then resume it on return but that doesn't seem to apply here.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Cliffo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Once you have signed-in this is the link you need :

https://sitfiscal.portaldasfinancas....ntenaohabitual

Start with Entregar
​​​​​​

Thanks Didion and loafingalong

Using the search you suggested I was able to find the correct page for registration. 👍😊

Last edited by Cliffo; Feb 14th 2020 at 2:01 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I') and never having previously reported herself as tax resident, and not intending to be tax resident for the foreseeable future - how can she be eligible to say she's tax resident in order to acquire NHR status for its future benefit to her? After all, if she's declaring her fiscal residence as Portugal, is she not simultaneously saying she's ceasing that residence in the UK?

Whether you / she ceases to be tax resident in the UK - it is up to her to invoke that - and the UK will do the necessary checks - usually, but not allways HMRC request the 'Form DT Individual' to be completed, until that is done, usually HMRC considers the person to be still resident for UK tax purposes

Last edited by Rosemary; Feb 14th 2020 at 2:07 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Feb 14th 2020, 5:53 pm
Polished expat

Whether you / she ceases to be tax resident in the UK - it is up to her to invoke that - and the UK will do the necessary checks - usually, but not allways HMRC request the 'Form DT Individual' to be completed, until that is done, usually HMRC considers the person to be still resident for UK tax purposes
So that deals with the practical aspect at the UK end.

From the PT point of view then, is it the intention that someone who has not actually transferred their fiscal residence / their "centre of interests / life" to PT, can legitimately claim NHR in advance of doing so?
Old Feb 16th 2020, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

So that deals with the practical aspect at the UK end.

From the PT point of view then, is it the intention that someone who has not actually transferred their fiscal residence / their "centre of interests / life" to PT, can legitimately claim NHR in advance of doing so?
From a Portuguese point of view, they will look at what is on their database. If you don't agree with their records, which are based on what you told them, there are mechanisms to have it adjusted - usually on the production of backing paperwork.
Old Feb 16th 2020, 8:01 pm
Polished expat

From a Portuguese point of view, they will look at what is on their database. If you don't agree with their records, which are based on what you told them, there are mechanisms to have it adjusted - usually on the production of backing paperwork.
Obviously I wouldn't try to coerce you into categorically stating anything you didn't want to, but that doesn't actually answer the question I asked, although it might be helpful to some of those on here asking questions.

We do appear to be in a position to discuss a concrete circumstance as an example but I respect your choice as to whether it's appropriate to do so.

Anyway, it's changing shortly, so perhaps there might not be so many questions in future.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Obviously I wouldn't try to coerce you into categorically stating anything you didn't want to, but that doesn't actually answer the question I asked, although it might be helpful to some of those on here asking questions.

We do appear to be in a position to discuss a concrete circumstance as an example but I respect your choice as to whether it's appropriate to do so.

Anyway, it's changing shortly, so perhaps there might not be so many questions in future.
Any concrete examples would have to be evaluated, and then the appropriate paperwork work obtained to support position, if appropriate, or in some cases impossible to do anything about it. Otherwise too complicated to set out different hypothesis.