British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   NHR Application Form Online (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/nhr-application-form-online-937345/)

Rubberlegs Feb 26th 2021 2:03 pm

NHR Application Form Online

I am about to send off the online form via the AT autoridade portal.
I flew out on late November 2020, to setup my residency, NIF, bank Account and rented an apartment with a contract that was cleared by my Portuguese lawyer as being suitable for residency application.
Once everything was sorted (8 days) I flew home on 4/12/20 to the UK to finalise the sale of my house there.

As things were imploding travel wise in the UK, I loaded my car with a fair amount of clothes and essential items and drove to Portugal on New Years day (2021). As my apartment was waiting for me there and I could start hunting for a house to purchase (which I have now found).
This was only possible with a negative Covid test and my Portuguese Resedentia form.

There was an allowance at the time, that you were allowed to drive through France and Spain, if you were returning to your country of residence. Which I was as a new citizen.
No hotels were open and I slept in my car!
I crossed into Portugal on the late evening of 2/1/21.

My question is, do I tick the box 2020 (when my citizenship was granted) or 2021 when I actually moved to Portugal for good?

I would value your opinions?

dingg Feb 26th 2021 3:00 pm

Re: NHR Application Form Online

sherbert Feb 27th 2021 10:14 am

Was your NIF registered to a PT address in 2020 or was it still registered to your UK one? If the latter, the financas system will not let you register for 2020 as it thinks you were not resident in 2020. I am in this position (residency gained late Dec but couldn't update my NIF address to PT one until February. The NHR form on the financas site will only let me apply for 2021 and not 2020... not sure what to do).

Rubberlegs Feb 27th 2021 11:20 am

Thanks so much for your reply. I had received three NIF certificates, the first showed my UK address, I did not check the rest due to many issues once here in Portugal and getting over the trauma of UK house (we all know what that is like!)
After your question I have dug through my mound of applications since and looked at the other two, which show the Portuguese 0 address and are dated 4/12/20 I am presume they will therefore trump the original?
In which case I will select 2020, which will give me 9 years and not the original 10 ?

The irony is, that I was not 'resident' in 2020 but merely on a 'setting up' trip. But arrived here in 2021 (which can be proved).
In essence it seems, in my case, when did you sign a a valid rental agreement?

Reading your point about your application, presumably is 'Hobson's Choice' if the form will not accept it, or you contact them first, to run it by a member of staff there?

Rambling archer Feb 27th 2021 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Rubberlegs (Post 12977773)
I am about to send off the online form via the AT autoridade portal.
I flew out on late November 2020, to setup my residency, NIF, bank Account and rented an apartment with a contract that was cleared by my Portuguese lawyer as being suitable for residency application.
Once everything was sorted (8 days) I flew home on 4/12/20 to the UK to finalise the sale of my house there.

As things were imploding travel wise in the UK, I loaded my car with a fair amount of clothes and essential items and drove to Portugal on New Years day (2021). As my apartment was waiting for me there and I could start hunting for a house to purchase (which I have now found).
This was only possible with a negative Covid test and my Portuguese Resedentia form.

There was an allowance at the time, that you were allowed to drive through France and Spain, if you were returning to your country of residence. Which I was as a new citizen.
No hotels were open and I slept in my car!
I crossed into Portugal on the late evening of 2/1/21.

My question is, do I tick the box 2020 (when my citizenship was granted) or 2021 when I actually moved to Portugal for good?

I would value your opinions?

Is there a form on line? - when we did it you just ticked a box on the Finanças website, to confirm the year for NHR consideration ... Then we got a notice of Pendiente, changing two days later to Deferido (which apparently means OK'ed)
Careful about using the word "Citizenship" - I think you mean "Residential status" - you have not applied for a Portuguese passport, but have got your permission to reside from the Town Hall - Camara - which gives your rental address as residential address in Portugal?
Again your Residencia date in November SHOULD BE the date you use to put your year of entry for NHR as 2020, but did you change your address at that time on the Finanças data? In the latter case you may be in the same boat as Sherbert ¿¿??!!

Rubberlegs Feb 27th 2021 12:46 pm

Thanks R.A.,

Quite correct, as you saw I started with 'resident' but should not have drifted into citizen, in the latter half!
The NIF states 4/12/20, which matches the date my Certificado de Registo.

Indeed there is a form on the AT autoridade portal. It took me a while, but I found it by typing: NHR Solicitud Desdedesde, in the search box, it then brings up the instructions for navigation It does take some navigating to as those sub headings did not match exactly, but gave me a clue and got there in the end.

Once there everything is prefilled for you, in my case with my rental address etc.
The only two things I had to select was 2020 or 2021 and your original country (there is a selection box with a drop down menu listing virtually all countries on earth).
Then there is a box to proceed. If you do not answer both questions, it is highlighted and does not allow one to proceed.

So I am going to go with 2020 and see what happens?

Many thanks for your input/reply

Rambling archer Feb 28th 2021 8:42 am

:thumbsup:

Pilou Feb 28th 2021 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Rubberlegs (Post 12978089)
Thanks R.A.,

Quite correct, as you saw I started with 'resident' but should not have drifted into citizen, in the latter half!
The NIF states 4/12/20, which matches the date my Certificado de Registo.

Indeed there is a form on the AT autoridade portal. It took me a while, but I found it by typing: NHR Solicitud Desdedesde, in the search box, it then brings up the instructions for navigation It does take some navigating to as those sub headings did not match exactly, but gave me a clue and got there in the end.

Once there everything is prefilled for you, in my case with my rental address etc.
The only two things I had to select was 2020 or 2021 and your original country (there is a selection box with a drop down menu listing virtually all countries on earth).
Then there is a box to proceed. If you do not answer both questions, it is highlighted and does not allow one to proceed.

So I am going to go with 2020 and see what happens?

Many thanks for your input/reply

We got the residency papers mid december 2017 and needed to put in 2017, so we lost 1 year RNH. No problem.
2020 is the choice you should make.