Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

NHR access to state healthcare and schooling

NHR access to state healthcare and schooling

Old Sep 24th 2019, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHR access to state healthcare and schooling

Originally Posted by qianh
I am sorry I just can’t really agree the blunt attitude of the original post, op doesn’t want to pay any tax yet want to use the free health and school system which is paid by locals who earn low salary and pay high tax!
In principle, there is nothing wrong in using freely available tax or other benefits which exist, as long as the use is moral, and is for the intended purpose. So, for example, the use of a tax loophole might be legal but immoral, but the use of a tax benefit is both legal and moral, which is where the OP’s question fits. In other words, I disagree with your interpretation, here!

Extending this, somewhat, I generally try to use locals when work is to be done. Should I pay above the going rate, if I can afford to? I am attending local classes in a school, in Portuguese; at 7.50 for two 2-hour classes a week for a full year, someone must be paying for this. Am I wrong to benefit from this rate?
Old Sep 24th 2019, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest looking at the BM's, Merc's, Tesla's and other assorted luxury cars the Portuguese are driving round in locally I wonder if "The Poor Portuguese" is somewhat exaggerated.

Old Sep 24th 2019, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
As far as I'm aware, it's only capital gains on the disposal of foreign property which are exempt from PT CGT under NHR. The sale of a Portuguese property would be subject to CGT.

I'll happily stand corrected if anybody can provide solid evidence to the contrary, though
...but, whilst not being subject to PT CGT, there could be CGT due elsewhere. If the ‘property’ is UK real estate, such as a rental property, then the sale will trigger potential liability to tax which is banded with a highest band of 28%. Without NHR, or when it is expired, Portugal will also carry out a tax calculation so, under double taxation, you would probably end up paying the difference to Portugal.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 5:34 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

All very true, although not related to the particular potential for misunderstanding which I was attempting to warn against.

Doesn't harm to have chapter and verse, though.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

BobSmith888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

i am chasing the Portugal IRS directly for more clarification about the NHR tax issue regarding taxes on certain overseas income.

Will let you all know what they say when they respond. Been waiting for them to respond to my email for 48 hours already. Hopefully they will revert before end of this week.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobSmith888
i am chasing the Portugal IRS directly for more clarification about the NHR tax issue regarding taxes on certain overseas income.

Will let you all know what they say when they respond. Been waiting for them to respond to my email for 48 hours already. Hopefully they will revert before end of this week.
When they respond? Surely you mean IF they respond.