Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

New Resident in Caldas da Rainha from UK/Canada

New Resident in Caldas da Rainha from UK/Canada

Old Jan 20th 2019, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

briddish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Resident in Caldas da Rainha from UK/Canada

Just returned to Canada after securing my EU citizen Residency certificate. They only allowed me 6 months on the certificate as my UK passport expires soon. Will renew the certificate when I return with my new UK passport. If I can answer anyones questions regarding getting the certificate or the NIF just ask away. I'm posting stuff on <snip> as well if you want to contact there. I have dual citizenship UK and Canadian. My wife is just Canadian.

Cheers
Fred.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 23rd 2019 at 11:58 am. Reason: Link removed - please re-read Site Rule 9, thx.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: New Resident in Caldas da Rainha from UK/Canada

We are both 60+ year old teenagers and we are seeking out UK/Canadian residents of Caldas da Rainha who we might meet up with when we make the final move in March/April this year.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on achieving your dream. I take it as your wife is a non EU citizen she attended with you to complete the paperwork? If not how does that work?

I ask this, as it appears from your post that you may have been solo as the post is written in first person singular.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Well spotted that man... My wife is a Canadian citizen only and as such I decided to formalize my residency first, ( pre Brexit ) then we will apply for my Wife to "Join me". It was fairly straightforward to do mine, and I was able to do all of this in Caldas. They gave me my residency certificate with proof of being in Caldas for only 2 months. When we go back we will apply to re-unite our family and this we will have to do at SEF in Leiria. Now that I have my NIF fully in my name and Portuguese address, we can apply for my Wife's NIF and if required I can be my Wife's fiscal representative. If I understand correctly we won't need to get a visa for my wife, as we can do the application, while she is in Portugal under the Schengen terms. This is how I understand it, if anyone believes that I am mistaken please let me know.

Old Jan 21st 2019, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your response and understanding that I was not being a Grammar nazi, I was just struck by the suggestion that the process was being done solo.

i would be interested in the part where you apply for your wife to Join you as opposed arriving with your wife.

The Portuguese embassy/consulate never answer e mails or telephones here. So I cannot get help except to try and knock the door, will be told to go away and make an appointment etc.

I would like to fly in for a 5/6 week visit with my wife and two brit kids. I understand I need a visa for my wife which will also need to have proof of travel insurance plus flights and accommodation already booked!!

I am not sure she will be too pleased with me disappearing for two months whilst I set this up!!
Old Jan 21st 2019, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by briddish
We are both 60+ year old teenagers and we are seeking out UK/Canadian residents of Caldas da Rainha who we might meet up with when we make the final move in March/April this year.
In a trip last year, I met a Canadian couple who said they had a shop in Sao Martinho (short train ride north of Caldas).
If you have no luck in Caldas, after you've settled, a short trip to Sao Martinho might prove fruitful (it is quite small and you should find them quite easily).
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

The shop in Sao Martinho is very small.It is opposite the small grass square at the harbour end of the town .Beach side.
Will get you proper cheshire cheese and english smoked bacon!!! etc
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by toots sweet
The shop in Sao Martinho is very small.It is opposite the small grass square at the harbour end of the town .Beach side.
Will get you proper cheshire cheese and english smoked bacon!!! etc
Is this called ''Union Jacs Global Grocer'' ?
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum briddish. We have stayed in quite a smart hotel in the centre of Caldas. Opp the park. It seems to be very British looking town very nice
Hope all works out for you and you enjoy living there
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
Is this called ''Union Jacs Global Grocer'' ?

Yes.That's the one.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Vinny17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Fred: Congratulations on your upcoming move. I hope you will post how it goes, I am a year or so behind, but with a similar plan to exit Canada to the Algarve, dual UK and Canadian citizen. Best of luck to both of you on your adventure.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Jane Walker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my husband and I are of similar age and moved here last week. We have a house in Sao Gregorio, Caldas da Rainha and like you are looking for like minded people to make new friends with.
Let us know when you arrive and we will meet up for a chat.
Good luck
Jane & Mick
Old Dec 8th 2019, 10:17 am
Just Joined

We finally made it to Caldas. We are living behind E.Leclerc in an apartment.
Still waiting for our Container to arrive from Canada, now being told it may be the second week of the new year.

We would appreciate any pointers to any events or gatherings of fellow Brits or Canadians.
Not sure on the best way to communicate??

I hope that like minded english speakers would like to get in touch.