Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

New residence permits for Brits in Pt before 31/12/20

New residence permits for Brits in Pt before 31/12/20

Old Jan 26th 2021, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mitzi2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New residence permits for Brits in Pt before 31/12/20

In my case I have renewed my passport since applying for Card and they said they would update my details when called forward for the biometric details. I suspect you will be able to correct yours at the same time.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

factseeker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Yes, it's the same thing but both certificates are being replaced. Details of the replacement programme for residence certificates can be found on the Brits in Portugal Facebook site.
Hi Bill,

Is this Resident Permit synonymous with obtaining NIF No and NHR Registration?
I had to return to UK and managed to get myself stranded with Covid etc - The Portugal Authorities are aware of my situation.
Now up and going again etc.

Advogado who fixed for above mentioned nothing - not sure I ever had a Residence Document just many AT documents.
I have come across this thread - does anyone know if with the NIF & NHR obtained early 2020 would be mean I must also be Registered or is that a seperate issue?
Not automatic?
Best Rgds
Factseeker
Old Jan 28th 2021, 1:42 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

It's not automatic, no.

You should have registered in person at the Câmara Municipal in your area of residence and been issued a Certificado de Registo de Cidadão da União Europeia, which is an A4 sized document.

There is a process under way now for those already registered in this way or with the ensuing permanent resident card to be issued with this completely new document.

If you don't have a residence document, you're going to have to apply to the SEF with evidence that you've been resident in Portugal prior to the end of the Brexit transition period in order to get sorted.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

factseeker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red Eric
It's not automatic, no.

You should have registered in person at the Câmara Municipal in your area of residence and been issued a Certificado de Registo de Cidadão da União Europeia, which is an A4 sized document.

There is a process under way now for those already registered in this way or with the ensuing permanent resident card to be issued with this completely new document.

If you don't have a residence document, you're going to have to apply to the SEF with evidence that you've been resident in Portugal prior to the end of the Brexit transition period in order to get sorted.
Hi Red Eric,

Thnxs for speedy respose.
Our Advogado was 'something else' and once paid was off never to be seen again - did not answer emails etc.
We were taken to the Câmara Municipal in the area of residence with the Rental Agreement etc - it was then duly stamped etc -

We were issued with a number of A4 sized documents - maybe one is indeed a Certificado de Registo de Cidadão da União Europeia
I will check through all that we have,

My impression was that our representative wanted to keep it very much a mysic for obviouse reasons keeping us 'tied'.
In meantime - thnxs - grateful.
Best Rgds.
Factseeker
Old Jan 28th 2021, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by factseeker
Hi Bill,

Is this Resident Permit synonymous with obtaining NIF No and NHR Registration?
I had to return to UK and managed to get myself stranded with Covid etc - The Portugal Authorities are aware of my situation.
Now up and going again etc.

Advogado who fixed for above mentioned nothing - not sure I ever had a Residence Document just many AT documents.
I have come across this thread - does anyone know if with the NIF & NHR obtained early 2020 would be mean I must also be Registered or is that a seperate issue?
Not automatic?
Best Rgds
Factseeker
I don't sit in front of a computer constantly, so have only just seen your question which has been answered precisely by Red Eric.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Factseeker - Just to clarify - the NIF is available to anyone resident or non-resident who needs a tax number in Portugal - holiday home owner, principal residence owner, rental long term, business needs, etc etc.
NHR (solely for tax purposes) is dependant on being Resident in Portugal - so if you have established your status as NHR you must have been registered as a resident at the local Camara who supply the Cert. - check your documents for that A4 certificate. Perhaps an email to the Camara would get you a copy of it??? not certain but if you cannot find the document, they might be good enough to help?
Old Jan 29th 2021, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Jlindon is an unknown quantity at this point

I registered on SEF website on 1st Jan and completed the application. Received to download a document with QR code to confirm my residency. Still haven't received any email from SEF to make appointment for resident card biometrics. Has anyone received an email yet about your appointment at the townhall?
Old Jan 29th 2021, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jlindon
I registered on SEF website on 1st Jan and completed the application. Received to download a document with QR code to confirm my residency. Still haven't received any email from SEF to make appointment for resident card biometrics. Has anyone received an email yet about your appointment at the townhall?
I'm not expecting anything to move that fast. This is Portugal and the SEF have a lot of new residence cards to process after all.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Factseeker - Just to clarify - the NIF is available to anyone resident or non-resident who needs a tax number in Portugal - holiday home owner, principal residence owner, rental long term, business needs, etc etc.
NHR (solely for tax purposes) is dependant on being Resident in Portugal - so if you have established your status as NHR you must have been registered as a resident at the local Camara who supply the Cert. - check your documents for that A4 certificate. Perhaps an email to the Camara would get you a copy of it??? not certain but if you cannot find the document, they might be good enough to help?
I would say that if factseeker 's NHR claim has been successful, it confirms that the address recorded with AT must be in Portugal. The normal route to getting an address in Portugal recorded with AT would be to present the CRUE but I'm not 100% sure that it guarantees that a CRUE exists (due to the differences between immigration status and tax status). Might it have been possible to get the Portuguese address at AT recorded using an atestado de residência, for example?
Old Jan 29th 2021, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

There aren't going to be any camara appointments for this while the lockdown is on, surely? It's not exactly "essential"!

Old Feb 7th 2021, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Registered my info on SEF website some time ago with residency obtained before end of last year.
Just thought I would apply for new registration doc, and noticed that my passport details are wrong, in that the last 3 numbers are missing.
No way to change that, also doesn`t mention my Country of birth.
Tried to add a different passport and country which it on the face if it acceoted, but when I hit the apply button, the registration QR code shows the same wrong passport number.
Is this likely to be an issue when returning to Portugal??
Anyone else have this problem
Old Feb 8th 2021, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Already been mentioned here. Some have their details incorrect, as setup of new database was manual job, so typo error is common.
It can be corrected when you got to give biometrics. It shouldnt be problem on border if you also show original CRUE.
Old Mar 5th 2021, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve just applied for my new WA residence card. All my details seem to have been input correctly back in 2016, thankfully, and just had to play a while with my password to get rid off User Registration Error - I didn’t realise it wanted 6 characters inc upper case, lower case, special character AND a number! All done, I think, but can anyone who’s done this already confirm something for me, please...I went to the website indicated at the bottom of the request certificate (I didn’t use the QR code) and input the long authentication code, completed the ‘I’m not a robot’ check, and pressed the green arrow. It then brought up a new box below showing some of my details and application number, but nothing said Code Validated Successfully, or anything like that. Is that it, am I done for now?

Has anyone been contacted yet for their biometric capture appointment? As it seems to only require photo, signature and fingerprints, it would seem sensible some cross-governmental dept working with IMT, who already hold those biometrics for many of us. Amazingly, when I exchanged my licence, I didn’t have to attend an appointment - IMT did use what they already had on file for me from when I originally registered my U.K. licence, but the chances of SEF and IMT sharing data, especially during pandemic restrictions...Far too sensible, I suspect 🙄
Old Mar 5th 2021, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
I’ve just applied for my new WA residence card. All my details seem to have been input correctly back in 2016, thankfully, and just had to play a while with my password to get rid off User Registration Error - I didn’t realise it wanted 6 characters inc upper case, lower case, special character AND a number! All done, I think, but can anyone who’s done this already confirm something for me, please...I went to the website indicated at the bottom of the request certificate (I didn’t use the QR code) and input the long authentication code, completed the ‘I’m not a robot’ check, and pressed the green arrow. It then brought up a new box below showing some of my details and application number, but nothing said Code Validated Successfully, or anything like that. Is that it, am I done for now?

Has anyone been contacted yet for their biometric capture appointment? As it seems to only require photo, signature and fingerprints, it would seem sensible some cross-governmental dept working with IMT, who already hold those biometrics for many of us. Amazingly, when I exchanged my licence, I didn’t have to attend an appointment - IMT did use what they already had on file for me from when I originally registered my U.K. licence, but the chances of SEF and IMT sharing data, especially during pandemic restrictions...Far too sensible, I suspect 🙄

Nothing, I did it all on the first day it opened online... But no further correspondence since.
I believe the QR code is the confirmation that all submitted ok

Last edited by Pilotabroad; Mar 5th 2021 at 12:59 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2021, 1:03 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
As it seems to only require photo, signature and fingerprints, it would seem sensible some cross-governmental dept working with IMT, who already hold those biometrics for many of us. Amazingly, when I exchanged my licence, I didn’t have to attend an appointment - IMT did use what they already had on file for me from when I originally registered my U.K. licence, but the chances of SEF and IMT sharing data, especially during pandemic restrictions...Far too sensible, I suspect 🙄
I'm no expert but looking beneath the lid of what might appear to be good sense solutions, I suspect lurks the spectre of data protection issues. What we see as "the government" is made up of separate departments, most of which possibly do not (and can not, by law) routinely share everything they hold on file about people between each other.

Just a theory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.