Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

New questions on tax form

New questions on tax form

Old Jun 17th 2021, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New questions on tax form

Same here. Submitted by accountant in May, still waiting for validation.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

CamemBert is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by qianh
Same here. Submitted by accountant in May, still waiting for validation.
I logged into the Finanças portal this evening and was able to get the liquidation certificate. It had appeared there today.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

factseeker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EU.flag
New wording in Anexo L can be real mine field.
First question in 3.B ask if you had nhr by 31/12/2019, if you are work active.

Then there are new columns, Codigi Atividade (12/2010) and Codigi Atividade (230/2019).
If you are register for nhr under old rule, you have to use code in columns for (12/2010).

Big new section is under 6.B, where you can chose between old and new nhr tax rates.
Selecting box 07 and 10, you pick old tax rate.
You can only complete section 6.B if you first complete 5.B entering pension info.
Section 5A and 5B can NOT be completed at same time, either one or other.

Opinions above are my own and I take no responsivity for others tax affairs. Always consult accountant if in doubt.
Mid 2020 I was caught out by Covid and stranded whilst in UK.
I registered on the system in Portugal beginning 2020 all had gone well.
No problems LogIn to the AT Web site portaldasfinancas.gov.pt.

I have been in contact with AT to explain that after 3 attempts I have still not yet been able to find a local Portuguese Accountant ref making any Return to AT end June 2021 - this month.
AT have always been very prompt & polite but they now advise me that they do not understand my latest message and suggest >> "Deve contactar / selecionar a àrea do Património da AT".
Well that makes both ends of the equation because I in turn do not understand them or where to go on the Portal.

All rather a pity as I had NHR beginning 2020 as confirmed by AT etc, etc - a simple return would be needed - only Pensions involved.
Received a "too busy" from the last of 3 Accountants - with a few days left now.

Possibly I can infill myself and at least get a Form into the System.
Which Form is it and can I infill on the Portal and transmit that way?
Can you advise the 'pathway' to it please?
Can anyone suggest / advise please??

Best Rgds to All
Factseeker
Old Jun 19th 2021, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the Portal das Finanças and on the front page is a big box on the left hand side which has
"IRS

IRS Automático / Modelo 3 – 2020
Prazo a decorrer desde 1 de abril

Confirme aqui a declaração do IRS automática, ou,
Entregue a declaração de rendimentos"

The Modelo 3 - 2020 is the form you should be filling in. Press on the Blue "Acceder" button in the box, and it will ask you to authenticate yourself with your NIF number and password - so far so good ...
Next page after authentication takes you to an option to the right side of the new page
"Entregar DeclaraçãoEntregue aqui a sua declaração de IRS."
Press on the ENTREGAR button and it will take you to the form Modelo 3 to fill in - note that if you only have NHR declarable income/s then you only need to complete the annex which relates to the exempted bits and different incomes go into different sections - pensions in one category, dividends and bank interests in another, rental income in another etc.

You might like to do a Google search "How to fill IRS online in Portugal in English" to explore it a bit further first? As far as I know you cannot do the Automatic route as you have to put in your incomes from abroad which obviously Portugal does not know and cannot insert for you, and if claiming NHR status that complicates things also.

Old Jun 19th 2021, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

PS - If you do it in Chrome, I find you can do a translation of the Finanças pages, right hand click and Translate To English ... the problem gets to you when the information sheets and forms are stuck in Portuguese, pdf.s and the like!
Old Jun 19th 2021, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Or...simpy translate the Rosto of Modelo 3 + the relevant Anexo with the notes, take few hours to read them and it is as easy as that.

Non-NHR return here, no issues with filing on AT, nor with the submission of Rosto & few annexes yesterday, approved today, then resubmitted as after all I forgot Anexo H for donations, so should be ok by Monday/Tuesday next week.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

You need to fill in main section Rosto and Anex J. If you have NHR, then need to add Anex L as well.
Anex J section 5 is for pension income and section 8 for capital income. I would be shocked if one only has pension income and no capital.
Anex L (NHR) section 5B and 6B/C are for those with new NHR 10% rate.

There is complete guide here:
http://www.corteecosturatributario.p...panha-2021.pdf

If you make mistake or change your mind, you can submit new return overriding previous, but only until end of this month.

Old Jun 22nd 2021, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much one and all.
I am in with a chance now.
Factseeker
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EU.flag
You need to fill in main section Rosto and Anex J. If you have NHR, then need to add Anex L as well.
Anex J section 5 is for pension income and section 8 for capital income. I would be shocked if one only has pension income and no capital.
Anex L (NHR) section 5B and 6B/C are for those with new NHR 10% rate.

There is complete guide here:
http://www.corteecosturatributario.p...panha-2021.pdf

If you make mistake or change your mind, you can submit new return overriding previous, but only until end of this month.
Hi EU Flag,

Ref 'shocked' - I thought only detail of worldwide Income would be needed - is detail of Capital also required or is it simply any income from it?

Problem right now - no contact with Portuguese accountant - had figured to organise on return to Portugal - but has as yet not happened.

Best Rgds.& thnxs for the advice/information.
Factseeker
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by factseeker
Hi EU Flag,

Ref 'shocked' - I thought only detail of worldwide Income would be needed - is detail of Capital also required or is it simply any income from it?

Problem right now - no contact with Portuguese accountant - had figured to organise on return to Portugal - but has as yet not happened.

Best Rgds.& thnxs for the advice/information.
Factseeker
You are correct FactS - only the income from capital has to be declared for income-tax but it does have to go into the specific CAPITAL Category (in the NHR part of the declaration if from outside Portugal and you have NHR status) I think it is Category E ... ? and includes bank savings interest, dividends, and such.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Incidentally, all UK incomes are obviously originally in GB pounds - if you receive them into a Portuguese bank in euros then you can declare that actual amount in euros (people often have their UK pensions paid into their local PT bank). Otherwise the amounts received in GB pounds has to be changed to euros - two ways to do this ... 1. find the official conversion rate for every amount on the date you receive it or 2. use the official PT bank rate on 31 december 2020 which was 1.11 for all.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, category E (Anexo J 8A) is for capital gains, usually interest from savings.
There are other categories for property income, rent income, equity income.

Full explanation is here in English (doesn't cover new Anexo L):
https://www.acm.gov.pt/documents/101...2-d3b080bd691d
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
You are correct FactS - only the income from capital has to be declared for income-tax but it does have to go into the specific CAPITAL Category (in the NHR part of the declaration if from outside Portugal and you have NHR status) I think it is Category E ... ? and includes bank savings interest, dividends, and such.
Thnxs all of you for the advice - worked in Software IT all my life since mid 60's - like to always keep things correct - but I have to say this last year has been 'taxing' pun intended - not keen for it to become more so.

Armed with my trusty print out of the above advice - I will give it a go.

Once again thnxs.
Rgds FactS
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jun 23rd 2021, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

good luck!