Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

New house, new country, new life?

New house, new country, new life?

Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New house, new country, new life?

Originally Posted by Pilou
I don't know. I left the netherlands 20 years ago and I could not find this info for pensionado's. Normally people come to the netherlands to work there. Who would like to come to Holland as a pensionado??
Pilou My friend did.. She is Canadian married to a Dutch OH and has the great fortune to live in Den Bosch. I loved it there. She has retired there ,rather than be in Canada. For the record we had to have medical insurance in NL.I can't imagine that would change just because you are retired.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:49 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I think all that story of the NHS paying pensioners health costs is over. It was a bi-lateral treaty from the middle ages and it expired. It never applied to Germans for instance.
Not so. Reciprocal invoicing of pensioners' healthcare is currently still active under EU regulations and specifically mentioned in some detail in the document detailing the acceptance of foreign citizens into the PT health service.

That is why, if you're a pensioner (or become one), you should (be) register(ed) as such with the health service via the S1 route, notwithstanding the fact that it is possible to be enrolled in the system without being either a pensioner or a worker.

Portuguese who become resident in the Netherlands are required by law to purchase health cover, as is every resident of that country.
If that is the case, then Pilou may very well be asked to show that he has health insurance, since it is stated as a reciprocal arrangement on the SEF website in the section that deals with initial registration (and as quoted in previous posts)
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Good that they like Holland.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Red Eric

If that is the case, then Pilou may very well be asked to show that he has health insurance, since it is stated as a reciprocal arrangement on the SEF website in the section that deals with initial registration (and as quoted in previous posts)
I think (hope) this refers to the situation that you are a pensioner. We are not yet.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:59 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

No - it's general and the bit you referred to here :
Condition - health insurance
Declaration, under oath, that they do have enough financial resources to support him and his family members, as well as an health insurance, provided that such is required by the Member-State of the nationality of the Portuguese citizens
I don't know? We are still covered by our national health insurance in Spain. Is that enough? Do we need to have a private insurance in Portugal? I thought this was not necessary.
Although I see you posted something a little earlier which I missed and which may clear the matter up
Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, but the law here says that every one who lives legally in Portugal has free access to the SNS.
So people from the UK can and Dutch would be excluded?
Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Condition - health insurance
Declaration, under oath, that they do have enough financial resources to support him and his family members, as well as an health insurance, provided that such is required by the Member-State of the nationality of the Portuguese citizens
I don't know? We are still covered by our national health insurance in Spain. Is that enough? Do we need to have a private insurance in Portugal? I thought this was not necessary.
Surely your Spanish cover will only apply if you are a tourist . If you move to Portugal and take up residence you will be removed from the Spanish system.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

I think all that story of the NHS paying pensioners health costs is over. It was a bi-lateral treaty from the middle ages and it expired. It never applied to Germans for instance.
Nope, the UK still picks up the bill for State Pension aged citizens via the S1.

From the Gov.UK site..
If you are in receipt of a UK old age state pension, request an S1 form (previously E121) from the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-portugal#health

It's even been discussed in the Brexit negotiations and they have agreed to keep the system in place once the UK leave the EU.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ving-in-the-eu

Under the Healthcare section...
Example case study: UK nationals currently residing in another EU Member State with UK-insured healthcare
Sarah is a UK national who retired to Spain in 2005. She is drawing a UK state pension and has a UK S1 form registered in Spain. The S1 form is a standard EU certificate which demonstrates an individual’s entitlement to healthcare in their country of residence. Individuals are required to register the S1 document in their new EU Member State of residence. This means that the UK reimburses Spain the cost of providing medical treatment to her.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Surely your Spanish cover will only apply if you are a tourist . If you move to Portugal and take up residence you will be removed from the Spanish system.
Yes, I agree.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
Nope, the UK still picks up the bill for State Pension aged citizens via the S1.

From the Gov.UK site..
If you are in receipt of a UK old age state pension, request an S1 form (previously E121) from the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-portugal#health

It's even been discussed in the Brexit negotiations and they have agreed to keep the system in place once the UK leave the EU.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ving-in-the-eu

Under the Healthcare section...
Example case study: UK nationals currently residing in another EU Member State with UK-insured healthcare
Sarah is a UK national who retired to Spain in 2005. She is drawing a UK state pension and has a UK S1 form registered in Spain. The S1 form is a standard EU certificate which demonstrates an individual’s entitlement to healthcare in their country of residence. Individuals are required to register the S1 document in their new EU Member State of residence. This means that the UK reimburses Spain the cost of providing medical treatment to her.
I agree. This is the case for people who receive an old-age pension from another EU-country. This does NOT apply when you don't receive an old age pension.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

News:
We went to the Camara with only passport, (future) address and Fiscal number. She asked to write down fathers' name and mothers' name and the level of education.
She asked if we receive a pension. NO. Do we work? NO We live from savings. We did not sign anything stating we have sufficient savings.
She asks to write down a portuguese telephone number or email-adress. She will send us a mail when we can collect the paper/card. We paid 15 EUR/pp and that was it.
The residence will be granted for 5 years. Then we need to go to the SEF.
No question about health insurance, no question of how long we have been here.

Everybody spoke english and it was a very friendly atmosphere. A wonderful 'welcome'. Not comparable with Spain and France.

To go there now was the idea of our lawyer. She already told us that it would be easy. And she was right!
Old Nov 24th 2017, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

... To go there now was the idea of our lawyer. She already told us that it would be easy. And she was right!
Makes me wonder why your landlord is having trouble registering!
Old Nov 24th 2017, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Makes me wonder why your landlord is having trouble registering!
When we told him that we would use the address of his holidayhome that we are renting 7 weeks, he panicked, I think. He phoned me yesterday ald told me not to do this, because I was chanceless. We need a health insurance, we need the deeds of the new house and not only the preliminary contract.
We could not give his address because you need a long term contract etc etc.

He really was in panic ans still is. We did not use his address, but our future address.

Btw he is registered since 1 month, but he does not want our registration on his address.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

You'll now need to change your residency status at the Finanças and presumably give them a local address too. Assuming you're applying for NHR status, this is now normally done online.

To register for online access to your tax affairs requires you to receive a time-sensitive activation password which is sent to your registered fiscal address by mail. Some details here. Given that you may not yet have access to a mailbox at your future address, you might be better to use your lawyer's address for the first stage of registration at the Portal das Finanças, even if it's not strictly correct. It will be relatively easy to change it later.

If you wish you could appoint your lawyer as a Fiscal Representative (which would make their address into your fiscal address) but if you don't want to retain them you will have to go back to the Finanças, in person, to cancel their appointment.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
You'll now need to change your residency status at the Finanças and presumably give them a local address too. Assuming you're applying for NHR status, this is now normally done online.

To register for online access to your tax affairs requires you to receive a time-sensitive activation password which is sent to your registered fiscal address by mail. Some details here. Given that you may not yet have access to a mailbox at your future address, you might be better to use your lawyer's address for the first stage of registration at the Portal das Finanças, even if it's not strictly correct. It will be relatively easy to change it later.

If you wish you could appoint your lawyer as a Fiscal Representative (which would make their address into your fiscal address) but if you don't want to retain them you will have to go back to the Finanças, in person, to cancel their appointment.
Thanks for the information!

We will become owner of the house hopefully around December 20. My idea is to wait until then to register for tax purposes. As soon as I have the key and the letterbox, I can receive the password and also apply for the RNH.

I think we need to change the fiscal number from Non-resident into resident too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.