British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   New E6 visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/new-e6-visa-944333/)

appman999 Jun 12th 2022 11:11 am

New E6 visa

Just cruising the VFS website (sad!) and came across what I think is a new entry, the E6 visa.
This seems to be a short term annual national visa which has been advertised for a long time on the Portuguese Ministry of Foreign Affairs website but when I tried to obtain it last year was told by VFS it wasn't available.
It would appear to give more flexibility than the basic Schengen without the extra step of becoming fully resident.
VFS define it as 'Temporary stay (less than 1 year) for retired people or people living out from personal revenue (including remote work) – E6 Visa (exceptional situations)'
Anyone got any info on this? The stated requirements are the same as for a D6 visa.

Bomber Harris Jun 12th 2022 12:55 pm

Re: New E6 visa

I believe they are issued under Article 54.

1 - O visto de estada temporária destina-se a permitir a entrada e a estada em território nacional por período inferior a um ano para:
a) Tratamento médico em estabelecimentos de saúde oficiais ou oficialmente reconhecidos;
b) Transferência de cidadãos nacionais de Estados Partes na Organização Mundial de Comércio, no contexto da prestação de serviços ou da realização de formação profissional em território português;
c) Exercício em território nacional de uma atividade profissional independente;
d) Exercício em território nacional de uma actividade de investigação científica em centros de investigação, de uma actividade docente num estabelecimento de ensino superior ou de uma actividade altamente qualificada durante um período de tempo inferior a um ano;
e) Exercício em território nacional de uma actividade desportiva amadora, certificada pela respectiva federação, desde que o clube ou associação desportiva se responsabilize pelo alojamento e cuidados de saúde;
f) Permanecer em território nacional por períodos superiores a três meses, em casos excecionais, devidamente fundamentados, designadamente para frequência de programa de estudo em estabelecimento de ensino, intercâmbio de estudantes, estágio profissional não remunerado ou voluntariado, de duração igual ou inferior a um ano, ou para efeitos de cumprimento dos compromissos internacionais no âmbito da Organização Mundial de Comércio e dos decorrentes de convenções e acordos internacionais de que Portugal seja Parte, em sede de liberdade de prestação de serviços;
g) Acompanhamento de familiar sujeito a tratamento médico nos termos da alínea a).
h) Trabalho sazonal por período superior a 90 dias; i) Frequência de curso em estabelecimento de ensino ou de formação profissional.
2 - Sem prejuízo do estabelecido em disposição especial, o visto de estada temporária é concedido pelo tempo da duração da estada e é válido para múltiplas entradas em território nacional.
3 - O prazo máximo para a decisão sobre o pedido de visto de estada temporária é de 30 dias contados a partir da instrução do pedido.

appman999 Jun 12th 2022 1:18 pm

As always thanks for legal info bomber.

Interestingly this is similar the categories on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs page which describes the required documentation for a temporary stay visa.

However the summary page for Temporary Stay visas also includes people living on their own income and religious purposes?

No-one said it had to be logical but interesting that VFS have specifically added the E6 category which last year was for study visits but now is allegedly for retired people or people living out from personal revenue?

riv Jun 13th 2022 7:27 am

Where under (a) to (h) is there any reference to retired persons, or persons living from private income ?

appman999 Jun 13th 2022 9:40 am

The legal aspects were discussed at length when I raised it last year. The difference now is that VFS have added this category to their website (albeit calling it a E6 visa?)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...1884090c0f.png
What I'm really after is anyone who has successfully actually applied for this visa (not whether it should be available ;)) and what constitutes exceptional circumstances.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...013f0602e4.png

NataHH Jun 13th 2022 11:49 am

..and can it be renew every year?

appman999 Jun 13th 2022 12:52 pm

Don't know yet but investigating. Please also note following from the Portuguese Consulate in London showing a temporary visa for people living on their own income. Still hopeful.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...753ed585de.png

Bomber Harris Jun 13th 2022 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by NataHH (Post 13121544)
..and can it be renew every year?

I doubt it, note the opening sentence, "O visto de estada temporária destina-se a permitir a entrada e a estada em território nacional por período inferior a um ano", especially as there are other visas available that cater for stays of more than 1 year.

EU.flag Jun 13th 2022 4:31 pm

I think hint is words "exceptional and dully justified".
Wanting longer then 3 months holiday is not exceptional in my books.

Alan PT Jun 13th 2022 10:22 pm

The search for the "have cake & eat it" visa continues...

SgtTroy Jun 13th 2022 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Alan PT (Post 13121690)

Well, why not, considering that there have always, always been visas for Portugal, and no one could have ever come here without any visa...;)

Off topic - coming back home after ten days away and seeing the damages to the wine cellar inflicted by the in-laws during the time I was away, I would urge every bachelor to marry an orphan, if it comes to marriage at all...:sneaky:

chislenko Jun 13th 2022 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Alan PT (Post 13121690)

Have to say we were over for a couple of months April and May and couldn't wait to get back to UK so wouldn't want a "cake and eat it visa" thank you.

Don't know what it is but after 16 years of ownership there I just find it dull and boring and if it wasn't for the sun i would be struggling to find a good reason to be there.

I realise a few people on here like to rub it in to Brits that haven't got residency what a great life it is in Portugal but for me you are welcome to it.

The only time I want to visit again is when our place is sold and I have to go back to close the bank account.

And why is it they always have to shout when they are sat at the same table!!!

Alan PT Jun 13th 2022 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by chislenko (Post 13121696)
Have to say we were over for a couple of months April and May and couldn't wait to get back to UK so wouldn't want a "cake and eat it visa" thank you.

Don't know what it is but after 16 years of ownership there I just find it dull and boring and if it wasn't for the sun i would be struggling to find a good reason to be there.

I realise a few people on here like to rub it in to Brits that haven't got residency what a great life it is in Portugal but for me you are welcome to it.

The only time I want to visit again is when our place is sold and I have to go back to close the bank account.

And why is it they always have to shout when they are sat at the same table!!!

If you don't like it here, totally OK with that, your choice, I never pretend that it's the perfect place for everyone

For those who like to own a place and holiday here within the 90 days, also good with that.

My sarcasm is reserved for those who like it here and want to stay here as long as they want, any time they want, but somehow without becoming resident and paying tax

appman999 Jun 14th 2022 10:21 am

I'm not sure sarcasm is warranted regarding anyone seeking to understand the legal options for visiting Portugal.

It's hardly a "have cake & eat it" visa, more like a two cake visa given the application appears to have the same criteria as a residence visa (NIF, bank account, proof of accommodation and income, etc, etc) and is only for a year.

The only difference therefore is possibly the income tax situation (since as a homeowner you pay IMI and everyone pays IVA) but obviously as a non-resident you aren't able to take advantage of resident's benefits.

As a resident, if all your income arises in the UK, it is quite possible, to be just taxed on that income in the UK and then you are able to take advantage of resident's benefits without contributing which is worse.

Many countries (UK and US being two) have 6 month or longer visas for visiting which are comparatively easy to obtain and that would suit me fine.

I know and accept the EU wide rules but if Portugal are able to offer greater access restricted to their territory (as residence is) why should this cause such consternation?

riv Jun 14th 2022 11:01 am

I second the thrust of Appman's points.

Portuguese ( and other EU ) citizens do not even need to 'apply' for a six month duration visa to come to the UK for that time : there are huge notices before passport control at UK airports stating clearly that all EU and US ( and many other ) nationals will automatically be granted a SIx Month Visa .

That is all that a lot of us would need, and as far as I can see it would benefit Portugal, rather than the opposite, to permit such visas without complicated paperwork.

Why the UK did not insist on simple reciprocity in terms of the length of time citizens of one country could spend in the other I have no idea, albeit one can put it down to UK ministers and civil servants not having a clue.

Most state to state Treaties have reciprocity at their core. EG extradition treaties, or trade treaties.

That is all some of us are seeking in terms of how long we can stay at one time in Portugal without having to faff around with a lot of paperwork : the same length of time that Portuguese citizens are granted when they arrive in the UK.

What is cake~ist about that ?