Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

My parcel is in Customs

My parcel is in Customs

Old Mar 16th 2019, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default My parcel is in Customs

My long awaited parcel from the USA has landed in Customs.. I received a two page letter and form yesterday, all in formal jargon Portuguese .Anyone had one of these before ? How did you tackle it.? get it translated ,or just fill in the bits you could recognise.?
It's a gift from the ED( ok ,won't be doing that again )
I know you can go online to fill it in, but is it in English ?\\
Old Mar 16th 2019, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My parcel is in Customs

I translated the form and sent it off without any problem. You then receive a form to take to your post office I seem to remember. The only bit I didn't understand was how they worked out the IVA at 23%; I made it about 24.5% but couldn't be bothered to argue with the authorities.
Old Mar 16th 2019, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
I translated the form and sent it off without any problem. You then receive a form to take to your post office I seem to remember. The only bit I didn't understand was how they worked out the IVA at 23%; I made it about 24.5% but couldn't be bothered to argue with the authorities.
They charge a flat 12 euro service fee as well as the 23%
Old Mar 16th 2019, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Naaling
They charge a flat 12 euro service fee as well as the 23%
That's right but they still got the IVA wrong.
Old Mar 16th 2019, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of being the bearer of bad tidings, the last thing I bought from the USA was a $14 car spare for a 36 year old car & customs held it for more than 4 months despite my sending them the required screen shot & proof of payment on 7 separate occasions.................. And then had the brass neck to charge me over 300% duty.
Old Mar 16th 2019, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Be happy; I sent the info 5 times and they never sent me my item; a free T-shirt I won in a contest.
They kept insisting I send the invoice.
I asked what if it's a free gift? There was something to fill in for that, I forget what exactly, but I did.
They sent me another demand for the invoice.
And another.
To be fair, when I bought an item and did send an invoice, the tax was pretty much as expected; came to around 50% altogether.

My US uncle sent me a gift; even though he's American, he's clever. Bought from Amazon UK and had it sent to me here.
I only had to change the plug.
Old Mar 17th 2019, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Oh guys This is looking pretty bleak isn't it. There is no invoice, as ED sent for the items from an online company in the USA. Any 'invoice' would be inside the package I am not particularly keen for them to open it up to find it.( altho ,heh they probable already have)
Will try ED and see if she can send me something .I guess the Brits can now see what will happen once we are out of the EU. Will get this every time they try and purchase anything outside the UK
Old Mar 17th 2019, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Ask for the invoice to be emailed to you. Should be simple enough.
Old Mar 17th 2019, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
... I guess the Brits can now see what will happen once we are out of the EU. Will get this every time they try and purchase anything outside the UK
... and for those in Portugal, possibly every time they try to buy from UK-based online suppliers, such as amazon.co.uk, for delivery to Portugal?
Old Mar 17th 2019, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Shift to amazon spain, france, germany.

Ebay too. I buy so many little hard to find things, or things [parts, supplies] that are overpriced here.
But a large proportion of France and German sellers don't send outside their countries.

Good luck, Geni.
Old Mar 17th 2019, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
... and for those in Portugal, possibly every time they try to buy from UK-based online suppliers, such as amazon.co.uk, for delivery to Portugal?
Fortunately, those in Portugal can patronise quite a considerable amount of EU countries without worrying about customs.

Last edited by Shanorme; Mar 17th 2019 at 3:30 pm. Reason: Spelling.
Old Mar 17th 2019, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shanorme
Ask for the invoice to be emailed to you. Should be simple enough.
In principle yes If my ED still has it .This was a gift
Old Mar 17th 2019, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

I see.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 9:13 am
Just Joined

stephan71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeniB
My long awaited parcel from the USA has landed in Customs.. I received a two page letter and form yesterday, all in formal jargon Portuguese .Anyone had one of these before ? How did you tackle it.? get it translated ,or just fill in the bits you could recognise.?
It's a gift from the ED( ok ,won't be doing that again )
I know you can go online to fill it in, but is it in English ?\\
I had this issue with a gift from Australia... after sending the original form completed back nothing happened, they just asked more and more info (weight of the item???). Eventually, I just filed an official complaint ... and boom the item appeared without any payment.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stephan71
I had this issue with a gift from Australia... after sending the original form completed back nothing happened, they just asked more and more info (weight of the item???). Eventually, I just filed an official complaint ... and boom the item appeared without any payment.
Thats interesting stephan71 where did you get the form for that from ? I may just have to do the same. YD spent a couple of hours translating and filling in the online form for me the other night. She didn't trust the online English version to be correct . Twice the CTT connection failed on her . It involved many repeat questions. A couple of unanswerable ones. A couple of texts to ED in the USA ( the sender ) to supply everything connected plus blood ( a joke ) but she prevailed and got a 'being processed ' reply... Now what ?that was two days ago. How long did you wait before complaining ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.