Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

Old Jul 5th 2020, 1:36 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

Originally Posted by suiko
Thanks. It means a "rental agreement" as proof. This is clearly not something supplied by Air B&B owners letting their places for a few months.

Is it true that a receipt for rent payments will not be accepted? If so, how does one go about arranging a short/medium-term let?
Longer term lettings with contract are probably best arranged in person. I don't know whether the larger or international outfits do it but certainly smaller independent type estate agencies also handle lettings. At least, they do where I am.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 6:22 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sagalaut
I have just got my residency and Tavira wanted the 90 days .
Originally Posted by sagalaut
I own a house in Tavira so I needed utility bills...they are looking at the paperwork in detail ...I used an agent as you need to make an appt ....
Just a quickie - was it the agent who said you had to wait 90 days, and what paperwork to supply, or the Câmara?
Old Jul 6th 2020, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Why is everyone so allergic to Google ?

http://www.cm-tavira.pt/site/sites/d...dadao_UE_0.pdf

Bem-vindo a Município de Tavira | Município de Tavira
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:40 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by EU.flag
I'm not - and I have been looking at that very document these past few days.

Several things about it have made me consider whether to post it on here or not. Those are 1) it was created in 2014, so although not ancient, it also isn't necessarily current. 2) it's not navigable to through the Camara website's menu system (as far as I can see, although that might just be my navigation skills), which is a possible indication that it might be obsolete or not currently meant to be easily accessed by the public 3) there is no mention on there of whether the registration certificate can be applied for within 90 days or whether, as categorically stated by a poster just above, they insist on 3 months' residence prior to the application being lodged (I'm waiting for his answer to the question about whether the Câmara itself or the agency he's using told him that) 4) there are no accompanying notes explaining anything in more detail to applicant or admin staff. 5) that is one Câmara (of hundreds).

It's all very well turning up one document that says you can apply for a registration certificate within 90 days, or you only need to make a quick declaration that you have sufficient means of support (and I have provided links to authoritative material saying both of those things) but it doesn't necessarily rule out that it is done differently somewhere, the different method not being explicitly prohibited by law. And we have first hand accounts of those differences on here.

Not having a go at you or anything Mr Flag - just that I'm wary of making super-assertive statements to newcomers, based on a limited range of resources.

But yeah - that form's useful background info for eg the question about satisfying the sufficient means criteria for inactive citizens applying in Tavira.

Last edited by Red Eric; Jul 6th 2020 at 5:42 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any recent experience of what might be considered a suitable length of rental contract (or some form of proof of rental address)?
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Assuming all goes smoothly at the Camara, do they issue residency there and then? Or do you have to go back to collect it? If so, does it matter if you go back a month or two after?
Old Jul 7th 2020, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
Assuming all goes smoothly at the Camara, do they issue residency there and then? Or do you have to go back to collect it? If so, does it matter if you go back a month or two after?
Olhão Câmara issued the residence certificates on the spot. They are linked up to the SEF website.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Olhão Câmara issued the residence certificates on the spot. They are linked up to the SEF website.
Good to know this type of info. If we could only build a list of those camera that do and don't. Though I suppose it could then vary from employee to employee (one would hope not), or from the situation of the person registering -retiree or worker etc...?
Old Jul 7th 2020, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by campos
Good to know this type of info. If we could only build a list of those camera that do and don't. Though I suppose it could then vary from employee to employee (one would hope not), or from the situation of the person registering -retiree or worker etc...?
Yes, it would be good to know if there is one in Central Portugal.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

meninonina is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BillBullock,
Did you apply before 90 days? And for Proof of Address, does Olhao require Atestado de Residência (obtained at local parish/ Junta de Freguesia) or is rental agreement sufficient?
Thank you!

Old Jul 8th 2020, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Olhão Câmara did not ask how long we had lived in Portugal. I took along an Atestado from our Freguesia (Moncarapacho) as we had owned the house for many years.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I'm not - and I have been looking at that very document these past few days.

Several things about it have made me consider whether to post it on here or not. Those are 1) it was created in 2014, so although not ancient, it also isn't necessarily current. 2) it's not navigable to through the Camara website's menu system (as far as I can see, although that might just be my navigation skills), which is a possible indication that it might be obsolete or not currently meant to be easily accessed by the public 3) there is no mention on there of whether the registration certificate can be applied for within 90 days or whether, as categorically stated by a poster just above, they insist on 3 months' residence prior to the application being lodged (I'm waiting for his answer to the question about whether the Câmara itself or the agency he's using told him that) 4) there are no accompanying notes explaining anything in more detail to applicant or admin staff. 5) that is one Câmara (of hundreds).

It's all very well turning up one document that says you can apply for a registration certificate within 90 days, or you only need to make a quick declaration that you have sufficient means of support (and I have provided links to authoritative material saying both of those things) but it doesn't necessarily rule out that it is done differently somewhere, the different method not being explicitly prohibited by law. And we have first hand accounts of those differences on here.

Not having a go at you or anything Mr Flag - just that I'm wary of making super-assertive statements to newcomers, based on a limited range of resources.

But yeah - that form's useful background info for eg the question about satisfying the sufficient means criteria for inactive citizens applying in Tavira.
Unfortunately, Camara website can be real maze finding specific info.
As for Tavira, form is under section Formularios/Diversos. So form is official, just buried in maze.
Município de Tavira | Tavira vive cultura

Even thought 90 day rule is not mentioned in form, law under which form is issued is clearly on form.
(art.º 14 da Lei n.º 37/2006 de 9 de agosto)

One could print out law pages and bring them to Camara official to get educated.
However, you would most likely get stubborn official who thinks he/she knows better. Its all down to luck.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Tavira it takes 24 hours, present paperwork , pay fee go back next day. Assuming nothing has changed.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 7:24 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by EU.flag
Unfortunately, Camara website can be real maze finding specific info.
As for Tavira, form is under section Formularios/Diversos. So form is official, just buried in maze.
Município de Tavira | Tavira vive cultura
So it is!

'Sobvious when you know, isn't it?

Even thought 90 day rule is not mentioned in form, law under which form is issued is clearly on form.
(art.º 14 da Lei n.º 37/2006 de 9 de agosto)

One could print out law pages and bring them to Camara official to get educated.
However, you would most likely get stubborn official who thinks he/she knows better. Its all down to luck.
Yes, we've hashed through the relevant paragraph of that law on previous occasions on here and although it seems perfectly reasonable (to me, you and many another, including staff of Câmaras Municipais) to read it that you may register at any time within 120 days of arrival, I can also see that a more literal reading would say you have a 30 day window for registration which doesn't start until after the first 90 days have elapsed.

I think it's best described as ambiguous.

Normally, of course, it's of no particular consequence but in the circumstances of the end of transition period looming and with it not being clear if the certificate could be issued after 31st December (or if it were, whether it would subsequently count as proof of commencement of residence during the transition period), it acquires a rather greater significance, so I completely understand the continued insistent questioning from one or two of our newer members.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again to all for patiently enduring my constant barrage of questions

Just realised my NIF (which is nearly 30 years old) won't have a current address on it (or indeed any address - will check that later). Is this going to be an issue during the residency process? If so, how should I go about changing the address held by Financas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.