Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

Old Jul 2nd 2020, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to Portugal - registering residency straightaway?

As regards proof of residence, I would prefer to rent on a three-month basis rather than longer, as this will give me a good opportunity to check out different areas. Will a 3 month rental agreement be accepted (given the 90 day rule for qualifying for residence), or would 6 be better?

Will the authorities accept an Air B&B rental? If so, presumably one needs some kind of contract? Has anyone any experience of getting this?

If not, how would I go about finding a three-month rental?
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
As regards proof of residence, I would prefer to rent on a three-month basis rather than longer, as this will give me a good opportunity to check out different areas. Will a 3 month rental agreement be accepted (given the 90 day rule for qualifying for residence), or would 6 be better?

Will the authorities accept an Air B&B rental? If so, presumably one needs some kind of contract? Has anyone any experience of getting this?

If not, how would I go about finding a three-month rental?
I'm going to have a crack at this one rather than answer your new thread which is covering this and other issues.

Some have said that an airbnb is ok for your residence during the initial period while others have said that it is only good for ONE month and then you would have to move on to something more concrete for the total of three months to be eligible for registration.

If indeed the one month is the case and actually in any event, why not commit to the one month as an airbnb and contact the landlord and arrange for the next two months (or better still three) as a written short-term lease. You should get a better rate too.

Best to get the landlord's email address than use the airbnb messaging system for this.

Speed is of the essence for you and though ideally you could get down to somewhere in Eastern Algarve and scope things out for a couple of days BEFORE committing to where you want to be, this may not be possible in the time allowed and bearing in mind quarantine restrictions for Portugal as it tries to get off the UK red list. The flexibility offered by the airbnb 'inventory' should help with this, particularly in this coming Autumn.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jul 3rd 2020 at 4:36 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

I will (fingers crossed!) be in E Algarve for a very short time later this month (literally an afternoon). I'd certainly be fine with committing to 3 months from September, but Air B&B are pretty good at blocking email addresses! How does the "inventory" work?

As regards where I am, it doesn't matter that much (thinking Olhao or Tavira) - I won't be spending much of those three months out there.

I thought of a winter let of a holiday flat, though if I have to be there in September it's probably too early for this. It does seem that many places will register on arrival given the right documents, so November/December could be an option, but given the possibility of more lockdown best to get it sorted in September I think.

Last edited by suiko; Jul 4th 2020 at 11:49 am.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

I will (fingers crossed!) be in E Algarve for a very short time later this month (literally an afternoon). I'd certainly be fine with committing to 3 months from September, but Air B&B are pretty good at blocking email addresses! As regards where I am, it doesn't matter that much - I won't be spending much of those three months out there. I thought of a winter let of a holiday flat, though if I have to be there in September it's probably too early for this? It does seem that many places will register on arrival given the right documents, so later (November/December?) could be an option?
I am following your journey with interest.We are following a very similar path. You seem to be a but further down the road than us though. Although, we couold be arriving November if all goes well here.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 12:24 pm
Getting younger every day

sagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond repute

I have just got my residency and Tavira wanted the 90 days .
Old Jul 4th 2020, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sagalaut
Congratulations. As in you had to living there continously for 90 days?
Old Jul 4th 2020, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sagalaut
If I may, what was your status for being in the Tavira locale for those 90 days - i.e. are you renting (normal lease or airbnb) or do you own and what is the period of your lease if renting, because these are the big issues posters are struggling with.

Did Tavira provide any general feedback - we wish! - or only deal with your specific case on the day?

Other issues that have been put forward relate to the requirement to show that you were actually in situ in Portugal for the 90 days by providing bank details showing local credit/debit card charges. Also evidence of income through said bank statements. Did the guys ask about these items in some fashion or just ask you to stick up your right hand to say you were compliant? Or none of the above.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jul 4th 2020 at 12:37 pm. Reason: Other issues that have been put forward relate to the requirement to show
Old Jul 4th 2020, 12:37 pm
Getting younger every day

sagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond repute

I own a house in Tavira so I needed utility bills...they are looking at the paperwork in detail ...I used an agent as you need to make an appt ....
Old Jul 4th 2020, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, v useful info. Why did you need an agent to make an appointment? I'm thinking of doing it in Olhao.

I'm planning to get a 3 month rental contract and a Portuguese bank account with decent amount of cash in it, plus UK account with evidence of salary. I'd be interested to know what they ask for in terms of bank transactions within that time? No mention of private health insurance?

I guess the Camara will be open between Xmas and New Year, in case they do ask me to come back after 90 days? There's really no way I'm going to be able to go before end of September.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 6:06 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

No mention of private health insurance?
The question about private health insurance has been answered previously.

It's not a requirement for this process and once you have a resident registration certificate for an EU citizen, you may enrol in the public health system.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've just fou nd this if it is of any help to anyone. https://algarvedailynews.com/brexit/...uese-residency
Old Jul 5th 2020, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. It means a "rental agreement" as proof. This is clearly not something supplied by Air B&B owners letting their places for a few months.

Is it true that a receipt for rent payments will not be accepted? If so, how does one go about arranging a short/medium-term let?

Old Jul 5th 2020, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've been looking at rentals, there is nothing cheap enough for me in Central Portugal. Maybe it's better to just get a 3 month very cheap, just to get the residency moving. I'd be happy with a 3 -6 month rental as we are hoping to buy a property asap.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I'm going to have a crack at this one rather than answer your new thread which is covering this and other issues.

Some have said that an airbnb is ok for your residence during the initial period while others have said that it is only good for ONE month and then you would have to move on to something more concrete for the total of three months to be eligible for registration.

If indeed the one month is the case and actually in any event, why not commit to the one month as an airbnb and contact the landlord and arrange for the next two months (or better still three) as a written short-term lease. You should get a better rate too.

Best to get the landlord's email address than use the airbnb messaging system for this.

Speed is of the essence for you and though ideally you could get down to somewhere in Eastern Algarve and scope things out for a couple of days BEFORE committing to where you want to be, this may not be possible in the time allowed and bearing in mind quarantine restrictions for Portugal as it tries to get off the UK red list. The flexibility offered by the airbnb 'inventory' should help with this, particularly in this coming Autumn.
I've contacted a couple of Air B&B owners. Obviously no issue in renting for a month with Air B&B, but no one wants to give me written proofs (presumably for tax reasons). And the regulations seem to specify a "contrato de arrendamento". The only thing the owners say they will provide is a receipt of payment.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

This Covid 19 is getting in the way of things. I don't mean that fliplantly, a lot of people have lost thier lives and it's terrible. It just puts an added pressure on getting residency before 31st December.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.