Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Moving to Portugal - checklist

Moving to Portugal - checklist

Old May 4th 2016, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

SaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really nice
Default Moving to Portugal - checklist

Hello all, my husband and I are moving out to Portugal next year and I'm currently putting together a list of everything we need to do.

Does anybody have a checklist or project timeline template that you would be willing to share with us?

Thanking you in advance.
Old May 4th 2016, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Portugal - checklist

Saffy

From where are you coming & what are you bringing?

Rules differ depending on whether you're coming from an EU country or not.
Old May 4th 2016, 3:57 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure everything is 'officially' translated and notarized as well. You can look back at my POSTS from 2015 and see the list of everything we provided to move here and gain residency. We DID have the wee problem that mePat is an EU citizen and I'm a citizen of a (evil???) Third State. We had to provide some special things like getting (and paying lots a mulla) to have our Marriage Certificate sealed with an Apostille and paying for 'A Statement of Particulars' for both of our drivers licence before we could get the Portuguese drivers licence AND it had to be legally translated and notarized as well (thank you very much Faro transportation team!!) but they were they only real sticklers in an otherwise smooth immigration process.
Old May 4th 2016, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munsterfan
Make sure everything is 'officially' translated and notarized as well. You can look back at my POSTS from 2015 and see the list of everything we provided to move here and gain residency. We DID have the wee problem that mePat is an EU citizen and I'm a citizen of a (evil???) Third State. We had to provide some special things like getting (and paying lots a mulla) to have our Marriage Certificate sealed with an Apostille and paying for 'A Statement of Particulars' for both of our drivers licence before we could get the Portuguese drivers licence AND it had to be legally translated and notarized as well (thank you very much Faro transportation team!!) but they were they only real sticklers in an otherwise smooth immigration process.
I find that really interesting & a good example of how Portuguese bureaucracy changes from area to area.

We came for South Africa & everything, including my classic car came into Lisbon & we weren't asked to provide a single translation! lol!
Old May 4th 2016, 4:31 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes you are SO right...it's a country of bureaucratic administrative 'Mini-Kingdoms' but it was done very very fast and no heartache here in Tavira
Old May 4th 2016, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by SaffyRosie
Hello all, my husband and I are moving out to Portugal next year and I'm currently putting together a list of everything we need to do.

Does anybody have a checklist or project timeline template that you would be willing to share with us?

Thanking you in advance.
Checklist

Item 1) Relax and try not to worry or micromanage
Item 2) Remember you are moving in order to join in with a more laid back lifestyle

Project Timeline

Item 1) Enjoy each day as you look forward to your new experience
Item 2) Use some simple logic to work out best options for your personal circumstances. (Don't burn bridges like closing bank accounts)
Item 3) Relax and try not to worry, the UK is a cheap phone call or a couple of hours away.