Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Moving - hotel while looking for rentals?

Moving - hotel while looking for rentals?

Old Dec 7th 2023, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

ewokuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving - hotel while looking for rentals?

Looking at moving to PT and just trying to figure out the logistics of the initial move. The way I see it I have 2 options, just go, get a hotel and then sort out finding a 6m-1y rental property while there. Or somehow try to find a rental property while still in the UK.

The hotel-while-looking route seems logical since I wouldn't want to be taking out any rental without looking at it first and with the speed that rentals seem to be taken I may need to be there for a quick viewing before making the decision. On the other hand it might take a while to find a suitable rental property which would leave me in a hotel for potentially months, which would make trying to find something beforehand a better option.

I am looking at the Cascais/Estoril area in Lisbon and not decided between a detached villa type property or some sort of penthouse apartment, it will depend what I can find but would need to be fully furnished as I will not be bringing much over with me.

I do already have a NIF and have an EU passport so getting residence will not be an issue, and I am not fussed about timescales but want to get there by end of March.

So I am wondering what others have done for the initial move? Do people think it is better to just get there, get a hotel in Lisbon then find a place? Or is it likely to be so difficult to find a rental I like that it could take months?
Old Dec 8th 2023, 7:12 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving - hotel while looking for rentals?

Hi, and welcome to the forum from me

You might want to consider a short term holiday let as an alternative to a hotel to use as a base on arrival. It may be possible to negotiate on price if you commit to staying a month or 2, particularly in the low season.

You're right about committing to anything from afar and unseen but an added possible complication is the reluctance of agents / letters to respond to you if you're not physically present.
Old Dec 8th 2023, 8:39 am
Just Joined

ewokuk is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I was thinking, really need to be there. Yeah maybe best bet is book some sort of airbnb for a month, then use that time to look for a longer term rental. Just looked at the costs and it varies a lot but looks like prices between airbnb and hotels are probably similar using the whole month of Feb as a test, if that turns out to be right it'll just be figuring out which is the better option, I guess at least with airbnb I can do things like wash my clothes .

Last edited by ewokuk; Dec 8th 2023 at 10:20 am.
Old Dec 8th 2023, 12:38 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You might find some owners willing to drop the price a bit if you're committing to a month or more. It's what we did when we first arrived, although Airbnb wasn't around then and it wasn't in an area anywhere near as popular as Lisbon & surrounds currently is. But we got hold of a holiday cottage in a small town for 4 weeks at over a third off the advertised daily rate.

Owners may well still be prepared to make such a concession, particularly if it's in a relatively slack period, given that they get a nice long continuous stretch with no blank days and no changeovers.
Old Dec 8th 2023, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

royle100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apart from AirBnB you can try a site like flatio (https://www.flatio.com/) which is useful for couple of month's rentals.

https://www.imovirtual.com/en/ is a bit clunky and more geared to the longer-term rentals

further advice https://www.portugalist.com/renting-in-portugal/

Good luck with your move
Old Dec 8th 2023, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

In the past,we've booked an airbnb for a week and once there,or if you know the owners contact details prior to arrival,negotiate a price if they're willing to extend your stay.Saves a pile on airbnb's high rates. We arrived for a week and stayed 3 months. Could be OK in the winter.