Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Moving cats to Portugal

Moving cats to Portugal

Old Nov 13th 2019, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving cats to Portugal

Hi
We are going to move our 2 cats from London to near Lisbon area next spring. I am just wondering, from your experience, what is the best way? Drive down by ferry, in cabin by TAP or using pet transport company?
Thanks a lot!

Old Nov 13th 2019, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

AlgarveAndy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving cats to Portugal

Hi I've been researching getting my Golden Retriever from the south coast to the Algarve and I'm almost sold on using TAP but in the hold due to his size. Given that your only doing 1 direct flight to Lisbon I would say the best bet by far is in the Cabin with you. I assume this would be the least stressful for the animals due to the short travel timeframe and also much the cheapest option. The big consideration I think is that TAP do not fly pets (at least as Cargo in my case) back into the UK but it may be different with you in the Cabin. When I phoned their help desk they were very helpful indeed :-)
Old Nov 14th 2019, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

We brought three cats with us from IoW via Plymouth to Santander then drove straight through down to Algarve. We also returned to the UK in the summer months with them for three years then stopped going back to UK. They lived to be 13, 15 and 20 here loving the warmth.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st
We brought three cats with us from IoW via Plymouth to Santander then drove straight through down to Algarve. We also returned to the UK in the summer months with them for three years then stopped going back to UK. They lived to be 13, 15 and 20 here loving the warmth.
Good to hear that, did you buy normal ferry ticket or pet cabin? I imagine pet cabin is mainly for dogs and you need to book well in advance? Many thanks!
Old Nov 14th 2019, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

On Brittany Ferries you could not have cats in kennels. In fact, it was before the ferry with kennels so cats, dogs, horses, were all in the car decks. We had a converted van and had visiting times. As it was a regular trip for us, we booked six months in advance and booked a suite as that was our holiday.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Mark O’Shaughnessy from an Alcoutim Animal Charity: index does pet transport. Company website:Purrfect Pet Transport: index
Old Nov 14th 2019, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shanorme
I believe Mark O’Shaughnessy from an Alcoutim Animal Charity: index does pet transport. Company website:Purrfect Pet Transport: index
thanks for the link!
Old Nov 14th 2019, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

No problem.