Reload this Page >

Moving to Algarve in two weeks - Many questions

Moving to Algarve in two weeks - Many questions

Old Jan 17th 2020, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Euroguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Moving to Algarve in two weeks - Many questions

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
If your mother was born in Derry you are probably considered an Irish citizen (see https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...nt.html#l091af), so you could avoid all the Brexit-related issues by applying for an Irish passport.
It seems l didn't provide 100% full info relating to this so "My bad" as they say over here........l'm a Brit with a Brit passport as well as being a US citizen with a Yank passport.

Old Jan 17th 2020, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Algarve in two weeks - Many questions

Originally Posted by Euroguy
It seems l didn't provide 100% full info relating to this so "My bad" as they say over here........l'm a Brit with a Brit passport as well as being a US citizen with a Yank passport.
Does that prevent you adding a third passport to your collection?
Old Jan 17th 2020, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Does that prevent you adding a third passport to your collection?
Forgive me naivety Richard, but do you all have a Portuguese passport as well as your Brit passport???
Old Jan 17th 2020, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not eligible for Portuguese citizenship. I am an Irish citizen by birth but have not previously felt any need to hold an Irish passport in addition to my British passport. However I believe that many long-term residents in EU countries who only hold British passports may be considering seeking an 'EU passport' to strengthen their rights, presumably much as you did in the USA.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not eligible for Portuguese citizenship. I am an Irish citizen by birth but have not previously felt any need to hold an Irish passport in addition to my British passport. However I believe that many long-term residents in EU countries who only hold British passports may be considering seeking an 'EU passport' to strengthen their rights, presumably much as you did in the USA.
So how does a fella obtain an EU passport??
Old Jan 17th 2020, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

By an 'EU passport' I mean a passport of a country that is an EU member. Hence the quotes.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

By an 'EU passport' I mean a passport of a country that is an EU member. Hence the quotes.
So there is no such thing as an EU passport??

Richard, many thanks for all you help.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not as such.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

algarvebound is an unknown quantity at this point

I just thought I’d update this thread as a follow up to my original post.

I have my residency permit and it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Step 1

Get NIF - Documents Required. UK Driving License and Passport - Registered to my UK Address

Step 2

Secure a one year lease for an apartment - Documents required NIF Registration

Step 3

Open Portuguese bank account - Documents required - Copy of NI Card or recent P60 tax return, Passport, Lease for apartment, NIF document.

By far the most difficult process, took two visits over two days to get it done.

Step 4

Apply for residency - Documents Required - Passport, Apartment Lease, NIF Registration, Proof of at least 625 Euros in a Portuguese bank account.

Residency certificate was issued immediately and I walked out with it. Cost was 15 Euros
Certificate issued 13 days after arrival in Portugal. The lease for the apartment showed my intent to reside so I didn’t have to wait 90 days to register.

I hope this information proves useful to someone in the future.

Now off the the NHR thread to figure that one out.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

You now need to back to your Step 1. and change your NIF to your Portuguese address!
Old Feb 4th 2020, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Nicely summarised, Algarvebound
Old Feb 4th 2020, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

algarvebound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lelandy
You now need to back to your Step 1. and change your NIF to your Portuguese address!
Thank you, I was wondering about that. I’ll go and do that this week.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by algarvebound
I just thought I’d update this thread as a follow up to my original post.

I have my residency permit and it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Step 1

Get NIF - Documents Required. UK Driving License and Passport - Registered to my UK Address

Step 2

Secure a one year lease for an apartment - Documents required NIF Registration

Step 3

Open Portuguese bank account - Documents required - Copy of NI Card or recent P60 tax return, Passport, Lease for apartment, NIF document.

By far the most difficult process, took two visits over two days to get it done.

Step 4

Apply for residency - Documents Required - Passport, Apartment Lease, NIF Registration, Proof of at least 625 Euros in a Portuguese bank account.

Residency certificate was issued immediately and I walked out with it. Cost was 15 Euros
Certificate issued 13 days after arrival in Portugal. The lease for the apartment showed my intent to reside so I didn’t have to wait 90 days to register.

I hope this information proves useful to someone in the future.

Now off the the NHR thread to figure that one out.
Curious about step 1. Registered to my UK address?
What if you don't have a UK address?
Old Feb 5th 2020, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

That was Algarveandy’s address. Substitute (I presume) the words Hong Kong, in your case.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zoff
RE 3
My wife has a fiscal number and she has never been in Portugal longer than 3 weeks, she is not even an EU citizen. Maybe because I'm a Portuguese citizen her case is different and also she needed a fiscal number for when we purchased a house here.
You don't seem to need to be in Portugal even. I'm separated from my husband but when I bought my house my lawyer told me that my husband had to get a fiscal number. He is non-EU, doesn't have a bank account here and hasn't been in Portgual for at least 15 years but the lawyer still got him one without a problem.
him
You just go to the local Financas and say you need a NIF because you want to buy a house, you can give an overseas address. You pay any fee they may ask for and get the number instantly.