Reload this Page >

Moving to the Algarve

Moving to the Algarve

Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

gimpothegreat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the Algarve

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are serioulsy considering moving to the Algarve within the next year. My parents have lived in Alvor for the past 10 years and we have been out to visit them many times. We're both just under 30 and are basically just bored of the UK, especially the way we think it's heading.

My girlfriend is an audiological scientist (Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor) and will look for work in this area. I am self employed as Photographer in the UK and would look to do something along those lines. Obviously we would both need to learn the language to maximise our earning potential.

The question or questions I have are based around the expat community and how many expats or British people actually live out in the Algarve? I have visions of being stuck in a flat with nobody to talk to. Are there people of our age living out there? Not trying to be age'ist but the Algarve does have a reputation for a lot of old people.

We were thinking of living around the Lagos area.

G
Old Aug 29th 2006, 5:12 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to the Algarve

Originally Posted by gimpothegreat
Hi,

My girlfriend and I are serioulsy considering moving to the Algarve within the next year. My parents have lived in Alvor for the past 10 years and we have been out to visit them many times. We're both just under 30 and are basically just bored of the UK, especially the way we think it's heading.

My girlfriend is an audiological scientist (Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor) and will look for work in this area. I am self employed as Photographer in the UK and would look to do something along those lines. Obviously we would both need to learn the language to maximise our earning potential.

The question or questions I have are based around the expat community and how many expats or British people actually live out in the Algarve? I have visions of being stuck in a flat with nobody to talk to. Are there people of our age living out there? Not trying to be age'ist but the Algarve does have a reputation for a lot of old people.

G
You wont be lonely!!!! There are loads of us,of all ages,its not a "gods waiting room" Lagos is a nice place,very busy in the summer,although not "Albufeira" standards!! quieter in the winter.
Lots of bars and rstaurants,you will soon start to meet people.
If you want specific info,just ask,you could also look at "Expat focus" website,just about anything you want to know can be found on there.
I have lived here for 2 years,and have noticed that a lot more younger people are coming out to live full time.
Cleri
Old Aug 29th 2006, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

gimpothegreat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to the Algarve

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
You wont be lonely!!!! There are loads of us,of all ages,its not a "gods waiting room" Lagos is a nice place,very busy in the summer,although not "Albufeira" standards!! quieter in the winter.
Lots of bars and rstaurants,you will soon start to meet people.
If you want specific info,just ask,you could also look at "Expat focus" website,just about anything you want to know can be found on there.
I have lived here for 2 years,and have noticed that a lot more younger people are coming out to live full time.
Cleri
Thanks Cleri - My mind is beginning to be set at ease.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:48 am
CinderellaHair

cinderellahair is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to the Algarve

Hi, weve been here 6 years, work, have children, many friends (english and portuguese) have fun etc! We wanted a change of life for all of us and have found it very rewarding.

Lagos is lovely, although we live more centrally near loulé. I can't speak for the lagos area, but there is a big expat community here....and we are never short of invitations!! Friends will come easily have no fear!!

Learning the language is a must though!!

Good luck, Diana x

Originally Posted by gimpothegreat
Hi,

G