British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Motorways in portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/motorways-portugal-912795/)

Rambling archer May 15th 2018 8:14 am

Motorways in portugal

I don't understand the charges for motorways. I have a land rover defender 90 everywhere else I am classed as class1 but in Portugal I am class 2.
​​​​​​I am not a van which would be class2 as I understand as I have side windows.
I have tried to get some sence from the web site but have not solved the problem.
Can anybody help please?

BillBullock May 15th 2018 8:36 am

Re: Motorways in portugal

Originally Posted by Rambling archer (Post 12499787)
I don't understand the charges for motorways. I have a land rover defender 90 everywhere else I am classed as class1 but in Portugal I am class 2.
​​​​​​I am not a van which would be class2 as I understand as I have side windows.
I have tried to get some sence from the web site but have not solved the problem.
Can anybody help please?

Have a look at Faq´s - Portal de Portagens
At the bottom of the page you will see that Class 2 is clearly defined. My Kia Sorento is also Class 2 because of its height.

Rambling archer May 16th 2018 10:33 am

Done that and guest what my Defender is 1.16 mtrs over the front axle.
So by this reconing something like a Kangoo van would be Class1.?
How do they know?

BillBullock May 16th 2018 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Rambling archer (Post 12500435)
Done that and guest what my Defender is 1.16 mtrs over the front axle.
So by this reconing something like a Kangoo van would be Class1.?
How do they know?

Maybe the camera has been set up to measure the vehicle height. I wish I had stayed with another Honda CRV.

RichardHenshall May 16th 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rambling archer (Post 12500435)
... How do they know?

Every model of vehicle will have an official classification, so it would be very easy to check. I'm not sure which motorways you intend to use or what nationality of vehicle you drive but I seem to recall that ViaVerde have or had a concession where 4x4s were down-classed to class 1 when a ViaVerde transponder was used.

peterfc May 16th 2018 6:15 pm

But surely this country belongs to Portugal and it's people and if the people who represente it's people choose to make charges do you really expect that the consulte the people of England?

We made the choice to live here and we must go along with the rules laid down in this country or we can move to a country that does what we want.

Peter

Rambling archer May 17th 2018 9:59 am

I am Spanish redg. And use the A22 a lot also across to Lisboa and up a bit. The via T seems an option to investigate.
A while ago our bank had a special offer on Via T (18euros as opposed to 36 for the first year and 9 thereafter which was interesting), however it proved so difficult to organised I gave up on it, but if 4x4's get a better rate I will see if the offer is still on and have another go.
I don't understand Peter's comments on why consult the English Consul though, and Portugal being for Portugese, I cannot see any relevence to my original request for info must have been misunderstood.

RichardHenshall May 17th 2018 11:37 am

My reason for wondering about the nationality of the car was also related to the frequency of use and whether you'd be using electronic-only tolls (for which you need to have pre-arranged a payment system in a foreign vehicle) or normal tolls. I'm sure you realise that using a foreign car is more awkward but while it is possible to obtain a proper Via Verde transponder for a foreign car, it may be more complicated without a Portuguese bank card/account.

However I think I may have given you a bum steer. According to this the concession applies to non-4x4s, if I'm reading it right. Sorry.

Nota:
O Decreto-Lei n.o 39/2005, de 17 de Fevereiro, veio estabelecer que os «veículos ligeiros de passageiros e mistos, tal como definidos no Código da Estrada, com dois eixos, peso bruto superior a 2300 kg e inferior ou igual a 3500 kg, com lotação igual ou superior a cinco lugares e uma altura, medida à vertical do primeiro eixo do veículo, igual ou superior a 1,1m e inferior a 1,3m, desde que não apresentem tracção às quatro rodas permanente ou inserível, pagam a tarifa de portagem relativa à classe 1 quando utilizem o sistema de pagamento automático».

Note:
Decree-Law No 39/2005 of 17 February established that 'mixed passenger cars, as defined in the Road Code, with two axles, with a gross weight of more than 2300 kg and not exceeding to 3500 kg, with a capacity of five or more seats and a height, measured vertically from the first axis of the vehicle, equal to or greater than 1,1 m and less than 1,3 m, provided that they do not have permanent or insertable four-wheel drive shall pay the toll rate for Class 1 when using the automatic payment system '.

Rambling archer May 17th 2018 12:06 pm

It must have kept them up all night for days trying to see if any category of vehicle escaped.
thanks and it's beer time.

riv May 18th 2018 10:13 am

Anyone able to give chapter and verse on the simplest method now to pay tolls in a UK regd vehicle ?

EG if one is driving in from Spain is there any option to pay cash ? ( or card ) ?

If one has to buy a device what is the simplest method to do this ?

I do have a Portuguese bank account and bank card if that helps at all.

RichardHenshall May 18th 2018 10:25 am

Home - Portal de Portagens

liveaboard May 18th 2018 8:58 pm

My Portuguese via verde transponder works in Spain; I assume that a Spainish one will work in Portugal [note for those who didn't read the thread, the vehicle in question is Spanish registered].

Ash Jez Jun 6th 2018 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rambling archer (Post 12500967)
I am Spanish redg. And use the A22 a lot also across to Lisboa and up a bit. The via T seems an option to investigate.
A while ago our bank had a special offer on Via T (18euros as opposed to 36 for the first year and 9 thereafter which was interesting), however it proved so difficult to organised I gave up on it, but if 4x4's get a better rate I will see if the offer is still on and have another go.
I don't understand Peter's comments on why consult the English Consul though, and Portugal being for Portugese, I cannot see any relevence to my original request for info must have been misunderstood.

Why get the transponder through the rip-off bank. When I first came to PT in my UK registered car I bought one through the post office for about euros 26 (2016) with no further fees. It was registered for my UK plated car. When I bought my PT car I logged onto the via verde site and changed the registration number associated with the transponder. No problems. Note that the transponder can only be associated with one car at a time.

bazzer70 Jun 9th 2018 5:57 am

Originally Posted by peterfc (Post 12500646)
But surely this country belongs to Portugal and it's people and if the people who represente it's people choose to make charges do you really expect that the consulte the people of England?

We made the choice to live here and we must go along with the rules laid down in this country or we can move to a country that does what we want.

Peter

Hahaha Peter! Just like all the recent arrivals do in UK then (wouldn't that be great!)

1711JohnB Jun 9th 2018 7:03 am

We arrived in Portugal after driving down from the UK last November and I stopped at the border in Portugal and registered my car. Very easy to do and used my UK credit card. Went home in December for Christmas and came back in January and used the motorway. It was not until some considerable time later when I was clearing the car out that I found the receipt from the toll booth which stated that my registration only lasted for 1 month. Am now waiting for some kind of fine from them as I believe the UK DVLC will pass on my details.