British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Motorcycle dealers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/motorcycle-dealers-793570/)

Julie and Bob Apr 10th 2013 4:04 pm

Motorcycle dealers

Hi, Can anyone recommend a motorcycle dealer, preferably Honda or Triumph, in Central Portugal.

Cheers, Bob.

mfesharne Apr 10th 2013 5:41 pm

Re: Motorcycle dealers

There are no end of small dealers here in the central zone but from what I've seen, most only deal in quads and small bikes.

If you're looking for something bigger then you'll probably need to go to one of the bigger towns such as Coimbra but which one you go to will really depend on which area you'll be closest to.

Sorry if that sounds a tad negative.

The_Hog Apr 10th 2013 5:49 pm

Why not import one - it is much easier than importing a car and the duty you have to pay is only €35. Total costs are around €300
I have imported 2 motorcycles and saved a fortune when you compare my costs with the price of motorcycles here.

mfesharne Apr 10th 2013 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by The_Hog (Post 10651906)
Why not import one - it is much easier than importing a car and the duty you have to pay is only €35. Total costs are around €300
I have imported 2 motorcycles and saved a fortune when you compare my costs with the price of motorcycles here.

That sounds interesting....... what were your matriculation costs etc?

I've been looking for a little mini/monkey bike and they're ridiculous prices here!

The_Hog Apr 10th 2013 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 10651978)
That sounds interesting....... what were your matriculation costs etc?

That was it. I can't remember the exact costs but it was roughly €120 for the sound test, €70 for the vehicle exam, €35 for the import tax and about €80 for assorted paperwork and number plates. Todo.
- and because you have paid import duty you are not restricted to how long you have to keep it before you sell it.
Oh yes, don't forget Bike tax is €35 for under €900cc and €110 for over 900cc.

mfesharne Apr 10th 2013 7:43 pm

Did you do the matriculation yourself or did you use an agent?

The_Hog Apr 11th 2013 7:50 am

I used an agent. Her costs were €200. I didn't include that to show how much it would be if you did it yourself.
I didn't have the time to do it myself and thought the agent costs were well worth it as it was all completed in 6 weeks. That is from first seeing her to receiving my new log book.
I used JST in Vila Nova de Cacela 281951109. Well recommended, :thumbsup:

mfesharne Apr 11th 2013 7:53 am

Thanks very much indeed. I'll get looking to see what's available. :)

Julie and Bob Apr 11th 2013 8:05 am

Many thanks for the replies. I didn't realise it was different to importing a car. I'm not even sure what bike to get yet but, will definately think about buying one in the UK as I still have some contacts in the bike trade there. We're living in France at the moment and due to complete on the sale of our house here within the next few weeks and have a rental lined up near Coja for six months. I haven't had a bike for a year now and can't wait to get another one.

Benny Dorm Apr 11th 2013 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Julie and Bob (Post 10651693)
Hi, Can anyone recommend a motorcycle dealer, preferably Honda or Triumph, in Central Portugal.

Cheers, Bob.

There are several Honda dealers in Central Portugal and the new prices, unlike cars, are the same as in the UK.

Julie and Bob Apr 11th 2013 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Benny Dorm (Post 10653094)
There are several Honda dealers in Central Portugal and the new prices, unlike cars, are the same as in the UK.

More good news. Many thanks.:)