Reload this Page >

Most punitive taxes, Portugal or Spain

Most punitive taxes, Portugal or Spain

Old Jan 29th 2020, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Most punitive taxes, Portugal or Spain

Originally Posted by wellinever
In my own experience those figures are way off. I would disagree with almost every aspect on that site regarding food. I live in UK for a good part of the year and buy produce from general supermarkets in both Portugal and UK. Last time I came back to Portugal I even bought Garlic from UK as it was so much cheaper n UK.
I guess we're digressing from the tax question now, which seems to have been settled.
Prices differ a lot depending on where you live in each country. I used to live in London and food was cheaper there than in the north even though everything else apart from transport was cheaper.I compared the two actual cities I regularly visit on the site mentioned and I found the food prices pretty accurate but some things like internet were way off. It shows internet cheaper in portugal than in UK and over 5 years I have never found a price in PT that is anywhere near as low as I pay in the UK. I pay about 50% more for fibre in PT than I do in UK and the price difference was the same before I moved to fibre.
Old Jan 29th 2020, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

R.Scratcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If worried about taxes, why not just split your time between 2 countries. Most retired people I know here in Ireland, choose to spend summers here and go to Spain or Portugal when it's less crowded.
I would be more than happy to split my time between two countries. I just don't want one of them to be the U.K. I have no wish to continue living in a country governed by Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Patel etc. Especially outside of the E.U.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Cortiz is an unknown quantity at this point

Another difference for some is healthcare. As I understand it, in Spain you have to buy comprehensive private healthcare for your first year until you can get on the government system, and then you pay €65 per month. In Portugal you are simply covered by virtue of being a resident.

And yes, splitting time between 2 EU countries may not be possible. As it stands, the WA does not provide for "onward movement", i.e. the freedom to live in another EU country in addition to the one in which you get residency prior to Dec. 2020. Unless by some miracle this initiative were to gain traction https://www.stayeuropean.org/?fbclid...2cUq9cxtWZ77R4
Old Jan 30th 2020, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R.Scratcher
I would be more than happy to split my time between two countries. I just don't want one of them to be the U.K. I have no wish to continue living in a country governed by Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Patel etc. Especially outside of the E.U.
I suppose you're right. Luckily I'm in the Republic of Ireland and have an EU passport, so it does make things a bit easier.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 7:00 am
Just Joined

R.Scratcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I suppose you're right. Luckily I'm in the Republic of Ireland and have an EU passport, so it does make things a bit easier.
How I'd love to have an Irish passport.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R.Scratcher
How I'd love to have an Irish passport.
Many do qualify though (grandparents etc.) and it's also the quickest way to stay in the EU. No restrictions for British and after 5 years you can apply for citizenship. That's why we currently have so many young British people coming over here.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cortiz
Another difference for some is healthcare. As I understand it, in Spain you have to buy comprehensive private healthcare for your first year until you can get on the government system, and then you pay €65 per month. In Portugal you are simply covered by virtue of being a resident.
As the OP says he is in receipt of a UK state pension, he is presumably aged 65 or over - in that case it would cost him €157 per month to pay into the Spanish public health system via the Convenio Especial, not the €60 per month which under 65s pay. That does not include the cost of medications, and he would have to pay 100% of the cost of any prescriptions. If he were to move to Spain, Portugal or any other EU country before the end of the transition period he should still be able to obtain an S1 form from the DWP which would mean the UK Government would pay for his healthcare and he would pay only 10% of prescription costs, and that right would remain (guaranteed under the Withdrawal Agreement) for as long as he remains resident in whatever country he moved to (but he could not relocate to a different EU member state and retain those rights).