British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Mosquitos and flies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/mosquitos-flies-917540/)

Pilou Sep 21st 2018 6:10 pm

Mosquitos and flies

Hi all,

I would like to know wether mosquitos are ruining your life outside in Portugal.

They can destroy your hapiness on your terrace, in the garden. Flies can make you very unhappy when you just come out of your pool.
We have a house with a nice pool and we cannot enjoy it. The mosquitos (normal and tiger) are there to get you all day and night. The flies prevent us from enjoying your pool and life outside.

Do you have morsuitos/ flies in the Algarve or West coast?

liveaboard Sep 21st 2018 10:52 pm

Re: Mosquitos and flies

Rarely see a mosi here. They exist of course, but not many.
I get a horse fly or two sometimes when I'm out for a walk near where farm animals have been kept.

West coast north of Aljezur.

Most people don't know that mosis live by sucking sap from plants; they need a blood meal to be able to breed, but not to stay alive waiting for you.
Moist ivy and climbing plants is where they hide from the sun and gain sustenance.
Obviously, they lay eggs in protected water; get rid of those stagnant ponds and things too.

Or move out here.

dingg Sep 22nd 2018 7:19 am

they tend to go for me but not my wife , its going to be a driver of where we decide to live full term

ie no stagnant or large areas of fresh water in the locale as it would BUG me no end

Pilou Sep 22nd 2018 7:49 am

Originally Posted by dingg (Post 12566347)
they tend to go for me but not my wife , its going to be a driver of where we decide to live full term

ie no stagnant or large areas of fresh water in the locale as it would BUG me no end

That is also our point of view. We have in Spain a beautiful villa with garden around and pool near the beach. We were dreaming of long nights enjoying the nice temps outside. But no! The tiger mosquito is there all day biting us and in the evening the tiger and normal mosquitos are there ruining our lifes. We decided to leave Spain.

We bought a town house in the center of Portimao and we have all windows open, lights on in the evening and we did not see mosquitos nor flies. Outside on the terrace until midnight and no insect is bothering us. HEAVEN.

But in the future we would love to buy another house in the Aljezur region or West coast with garden and pool. But if we would have the same mosquito-problem, I would prefer to live in our town house.
In fact crazy but true ........ mosquitos will turn a dream into a nightmare.

Shanorme Sep 22nd 2018 8:08 am

I believe you can get propane mosquito traps/killers. I don't know how effective they are.

Pilou Sep 22nd 2018 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Shanorme (Post 12566355)
I believe you can get propane mosquito traps/killers. I don't know how effective they are.

The best is that there is no need to use more or less chemical things.

Sunseeker1st Sep 23rd 2018 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Pilou (Post 12566353)
We bought a town house in the center of Portimao and we have all windows open, lights on in the evening and we did not see mosquitos nor flies. Outside on the terrace until midnight and no insect is bothering us. HEAVEN.

I am confused Pilou by this comment as in your original post you said ...

"We have a house with a nice pool and we cannot enjoy it. The mosquitos (normal and tiger) are there to get you all day and night. The flies prevent us from enjoying your pool and life outside."

We have lived here 17 years and rarely see either critter except in September and October when there are a lot of flies. We live in the orchards which may help and do not have a pool which can attract flying critters including wasps.

Rambling archer Sep 23rd 2018 9:39 am

Jungle formula, that's the stuff,
they don't like it, and just a bit goes a long way.

Pilou Sep 23rd 2018 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st (Post 12566731)
I am confused Pilou by this comment as in your original post you said ...

"We have a house with a nice pool and we cannot enjoy it. The mosquitos (normal and tiger) are there to get you all day and night. The flies prevent us from enjoying your pool and life outside."

We have lived here 17 years and rarely see either critter except in September and October when there are a lot of flies. We live in the orchards which may help and do not have a pool which can attract flying critters including wasps.

The house with pool is in Vinaros -SPAIN. We love that house but are obliged to stay inside. When we went outside, we were bitten 20 times per hour. I don't want to live with chemicals on my skin 7 months per year or live under mosquito nets in the garden!
We lived in Spain before buying in Portimao.

Sunseeker1st Sep 24th 2018 7:05 am

Okay, clear move. Sounds like you made the positive move.

GeniB Sep 25th 2018 8:05 am

Spain has a much hotter and more humid climate in many areas ( as you will have found out) It is a haven for all sorts of flying insects including huge mosquitos.We loved the country ,but couldn't stand that sort of heat, or wild life whenever we stayed there on holiday
Portugal has a much drier climate, and as most swampy areas were drained long ago, the mosquito of the tiger sort ,does not thrive here. Portugals tiny mosquitos are more polite in that they make virtually no sound and their bites are so minimal you barely register them. We very rarely see or get bitten by mosquitos here . When we did ,it was because we had placed an old lead fountain outside our bedroom doors and filled it with water..We don't do that now. We brought a mosquito net with us from the Netherlands as we were plagued there from time to time, in a Brabant summer . Hardly ever use it here .
If you want another home with pool etc I would suggest that you go for a couple of holidays in the area, of choice , maybe do a house swap even. Ask the locals about bugs. The joy for me of living in Portugal is that, in comparison to places like Spain, it is virtually bug free.

Ingles Sep 28th 2018 3:01 pm

This may be off use ?

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/resear...7d0a1-40383229

tonisdad Sep 28th 2018 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Rambling archer (Post 12566736)
Jungle formula, that's the stuff,
they don't like it, and just a bit goes a long way.

Where do you get it or how do you make it?

RichardHenshall Sep 29th 2018 12:03 am

https://www.jungleformula.co.uk/

nogard Sep 29th 2018 7:52 am

Avon, Skin so Soft; works for me.