Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

Old May 17th 2016, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monsanto & Glyphosate & U

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Actually, Portugal is in that minority of EU countries that currently allows GM crops to be commercially grown, although there are strict controls in place.

Throughout the EU, the only crop so far authorised is one variety of maize.

There's actually no way you can 'control ' a GM crop. It will produce seed like any other crop.Seed that will blow on the wind anywhere it is taken .

As to it being 'weedkiller resistant' It's very name tells you it already carries weedkiller inside it's seed.It has been 'modified' to do that. So it naturally follows that it will be the stronger variety and will outgrow any other similar crop.

In principle for instance if it was a maize crop it would carry arsenic within it's seed. If some wild pigs were to wander into the field and ate the maize in any quantity ,they would die.. However it is somehow supposed that when we eat the maize-it won't affect us.. I think i will pass on that.. Soo thats no peanuts for me (the most polluted and poisonous of all crops) No soya... ditto...No Maize...and no wheat... Larder getting a bit thin these days
Old May 17th 2016, 7:56 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
As to it being 'weedkiller resistant' It's very name tells you it already carries weedkiller inside it's seed.It has been 'modified' to do that. So it naturally follows that it will be the stronger variety and will outgrow any other similar crop.

In principle for instance if it was a maize crop it would carry arsenic within it's seed.
Herbicide resistant maize[edit]

Corn varieties resistant to glyphosate herbicides were first commercialized in 1996 by Monsanto, and are known as "Roundup Ready Corn". They tolerate the use of Roundup.[1] Bayer CropScience developed "Liberty Link Corn" that is resistant to glufosinate.[2] Pioneer Hi-Bred has developed and markets corn hybrids with tolerance to imidazoline herbicides under the trademark "Clearfield" - though in these hybrids, the herbicide-tolerance trait was bred using tissue culture selection and the chemical mutagen ethyl methanesulfonate not genetic engineering.[3] Consequently, the regulatory framework governing the approval of transgenic crops does not apply for Clearfield.[3]

As of 2011, herbicide-resistant GM corn was grown in 14 countries.[4] By 2012, 26 varieties herbicide-resistant GM maize were authorised for import into the European Union.,[5] but such imports remain controversial.[6] Cultivation of herbicide-resistant corn in the EU provides substantial farm-level benefits.[7]

Source : wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneti...modified_maize
Old May 17th 2016, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

There are no GM crops that make their own herbicide.
Really the issue was / is about the roundup-ready varieties, as the crop will always be sprayed with glyphosate.
There was also a big hoopla about "terminator" seeds that wouldn't produce viable second generation seed. I still don't understand the problem; if you don't want to use it, there are plenty of other seed varieties available.
It's just Monsanto bashing, an ever popular activity.

There are pest resistant GM varieties, those are made by adding genes from other plants that have their own natural pesticide [many plants do], the same pesticides that are sold as "organic" when sourced from the original producing plants.
Spraying Neem or Nicotine is perfectly acceptable in "Biological" farming, but the same genes injected into the crop plant itself, to produce the same compounds without needing to wipe out neem trees or grow a separate field of tobacco, is considered utterly poisonous.

I can understand the fear of glyphosate; that stuff is scary. But the blanket opposition to all GM crops makes no sense at all.
In my opinion.
Old May 17th 2016, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand the fear of glyphosate; that stuff is scary. But the blanket opposition to all GM crops makes no sense at all.
In my opinion.[/QUOTE]

One off very many legal cases world wide that have featured GMO's & Monsanto

Organic Farmer Dealt Final Blow in Landmark Lawsuit Over Monsantoā€™s GMO Contamination | Alternet

It's is stated in this report ,that Baxter's legal cost where covered by Monsanto ,as they always do when there profit margin is threatened !!

Last edited by Ingles; May 17th 2016 at 1:31 pm.
Old May 18th 2016, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

This just about sum's it all up !

http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/...st_KEY=1349337
Old May 19th 2016, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ingles

But on the serious side , The EU Parliament are considering relicensing "Round UP" for another 9 years.

Well , the vote failed to take place !

EU Delays Approval of Glyphosate, Again
Old May 26th 2016, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
There are no GM crops that make their own herbicide.
Really the issue was / is about the roundup-ready varieties, as the crop will always be sprayed with glyphosate.
There was also a big hoopla about "terminator" seeds that wouldn't produce viable second generation seed. I still don't understand the problem; if you don't want to use it, there are plenty of other seed varieties available.
It's just Monsanto bashing, an ever popular activity.

There are pest resistant GM varieties, those are made by adding genes from other plants that have their own natural pesticide [many plants do], the same pesticides that are sold as "organic" when sourced from the original producing plants.
Spraying Neem or Nicotine is perfectly acceptable in "Biological" farming, but the same genes injected into the crop plant itself, to produce the same compounds without needing to wipe out neem trees or grow a separate field of tobacco, is considered utterly poisonous.

In my opinion.

The 'plenty of other seeds' IS the problem.. Monsanto are determined to corner the market in commercial seed. Their aim is to be the only provider of seed in the future. Farmers will be forced to buy from them. Some GM crops are already sterile.Therefore it's going to cost to replace the seed every season. This horrendous company went so far as to try and patent human DNA.. they failed.. this time..Whose to stop them in the future? I would and am be very concerned
Old May 26th 2016, 7:42 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Some GM crops are already sterile.
That, apparently, is one of the top myths circulating about GM crops
Old May 26th 2016, 8:28 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Not sterile but they have a built in termination gene , that limits the time farmers can keep them in store for use at a later date.
Old May 26th 2016, 8:36 am
Polished expat

I can't tell whether that was a joke

If it was it was a very good one
Old May 26th 2016, 8:53 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I can't tell whether that was a joke

If it was it was a very good one
Just google gm seeds are they sterile..
Old May 26th 2016, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EMR
Not sterile but they have a built in termination gene , that limits the time farmers can keep them in store for use at a later date.
Sorry incorrect !
Under Monsanto's T & C's which every buyer has to agree too before Monsanto will supply your requirements.
It is illegal to "save" seed & replant , you have to purchase new seed every planting season.
They have field agents checking & there have been 100's off court cases world wide when the farmer has done so.

Very disturbing & sadly true

http://vandanashiva.com/?p=402

Last edited by Ingles; May 26th 2016 at 9:15 am. Reason: Added link
Old May 26th 2016, 9:14 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Ingles
Sorry incorrect !
Under Monsanto's T & C's which every buyer has to agree too before Monsanto will supply your requirements.
It is illegal to "save" seed & replant , you have to purchase new seed every planting season.
They have field agents checking & there have been 100's off court cases world wide when the farmer has done so.
Thanks Ingles,
I did not find that, its worse than I thought.
Old May 27th 2016, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No myth. People do need to wake up to the depths this company is prepared to sink to control the food chain.. I do know what I am talking about .. My brother is a Professor in Bio Agriculture. and has worked for yrs with the big players in the Agri market.worldwide Monsanto is by far and away the most dangerous to our health and welfare.They are essentially a chemical company with little or no scruples. They will and are suing the pants of anyone who gets in their way. If you think that's Ok? Fine.. I don't have grandkids so I will sleep nights
Old May 27th 2016, 8:14 am
Polished expat

Not at all Geni - I can't see why you infer that I think anything's fine. I'm no cheerleader for Monsanto or for big business in general.

I was merely debunking the myth that GM crops produce sterile seed. It's true that the possibility exists but not true that it's in use. That's all.

I assume the info posted by Ingles is sufficient proof that GM seeds are not sterile by design?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.