Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Modified Portuguese registered vehicles exist - How?

Modified Portuguese registered vehicles exist - How?

Old Jul 27th 2020, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

VwwV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Modified Portuguese registered vehicles exist - How?

Starting a new thread, but continuing on from modification issues raised in Importing an old car to Portugal from the UK

I found this modified Jeep advertised for sale in Portugal and I wondered what process the owner took to get it road legal.
https://www.standvirtual.com/anuncio...tml#6ce7c04119

From a technical standpoint, if this was a British registered vehicle being imported into Portugal I would expect questions on the following issues:

1. Jeep Cherokees were never equipped with OM605 diesel engines from the factory. It is not a recognised engine variant for the type.
2. The Mercedes engine is likely to have it's own engine management system. The original VM/Detroit ECU will be redundant. Does the engine management system have the correct VIN number for the Jeep? I believe this is a requirement of EU law. Is the EOBD system functional?
3. Does the OM605 engine and transmission use the original equipment engine and transmission mounts? Have any of the cross members been modified or replaced as a result of this engine fitment.
4. This vehicle was most likely supplied from the factory with 27" diameter tyres, 3.55:1 final drive ratio and 27-spline axle shafts. It is now on 35" tyres. Have the original axle shafts been replaced with stronger Chrome-moly shafts or 30-35 spline shafts? Standard shafts are more likely to break running 35" tyres. Has the final drive ratio in both axles been changed to 4.56:1 or 4.88:1 to restore the mechanical advantage of the original gearing after increasing the tyre diameter to 35"?
5. Has the speedo gear in the transfercase been correctly selected to provide an accurate or within tolerance speedometer?
6. The rear axle looks like a Dana 35. These were only fitted with drum brakes on Cherokees, but this one has disc brakes from a Grand Cherokee. Has the brake balance valve been changed to an all disc brake model?
7. A disc brake conversion on a D35 rear axle usually requires sacrificing the OEM Anti-lock Braking System as the tone wheels no longer fit. Has the ABS been completely removed? Has the ABS warning light been deactivated?
8. Does the Jeep still have the rear anti-roll bar (swaybar) fitted?
9. The original Tapered Rod End (TRE) joints in the steering have been replaced with Spherical Rod End joints (Heim/Rose).
10. The axles have ARB locking differentials which are not original equipment.
11. The ARB compressor is mounted in the cargo area in a less than professional manner (UK MoT failure).
12. Aftermarket extended flares have been fitted to the bodywork. Has the original bodywork been cutaway and the wheel tubs rewelded to fit the larger tyres?
13. Have the bump stops been set to prevent the tyres from coming into contact with the body work?
14. Have the steering stops been set to prevent the front tyres from coming into contact with the body frame?
15. The front anti-roll bar links are removable, the originals are not? How are the links stowed when disconnected to prevent fouling the coil springs?

I could go on and on and on but you get the point already...

Just looking at the photos I can see a number of issues that would cause this Jeep to fail a British MoT. I would like to bring my Jeeps to Portugal if it is possible. I would also like to know if the current system for imported vehicles is just a method used to deny unusual imports or if there is actually a legal foundation to Portuguese construction and use regulations for vehicles. I am very interested to find how this Jeep Cherokee and other modified Portuguese 4x4s that I have seen, became road legal in Portugal. If I cannot legally drive my modified Jeeps in Portugal as a resident I would like to build a replacement vehicle starting with a Portuguese registered Jeep.

The British system of Individual Vehicle Assessment is very well documented, and enforces higher standards than EU type approval law. It is tough to comply with but it is fair.
https://assets.publishing.service.go...r-vehicles.pdf

I need to find the equivalent Inspection Manual for Portugal if such a thing exists.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Modified Portuguese registered vehicles exist - How?

I've been trying to find out all of these things for a few weeks now. It's not looking good for bring our old Land Rover to Portugal. We can't be without it though. Why not ring the seller and ask?
Old Jul 27th 2020, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Prior experience in other European countries has given me the impression that seller's are not willing to say much unless you want to buy. Particularly if the answer is based on who you know in local authority.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bons
I've been trying to find out all of these things for a few weeks now. It's not looking good for bring our old Land Rover to Portugal. We can't be without it though.
I hope you manage to find a solution. EU membership was supposed to get rid of this unnecessary bureaucracy. Any British registered vehicle with a V5C and MoT should be accepted as-is without having to prove compliance again.

I gave my 27 year old Jeep to my son on his 21st birthday a few years ago. I taught him how to drive it off-road when he was old enough to stand on the seat to peer over the steering wheel. It's mine again now after using it as his hearse at his funeral. Nobody on this planet will take that Jeep from me without consequence. If that means I have to remain a UK resident and become an EU nomad to comply with the tourist visa, then that's what I will have to do.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VwwV
I hope you manage to find a solution. EU membership was supposed to get rid of this unnecessary bureaucracy. Any British registered vehicle with a V5C and MoT should be accepted as-is without having to prove compliance again.

I gave my 27 year old Jeep to my son on his 21st birthday a few years ago. I taught him how to drive it off-road when he was old enough to stand on the seat to peer over the steering wheel. It's mine again now after using it as his hearse at his funeral. Nobody on this planet will take that Jeep from me without consequence. If that means I have to remain a UK resident and become an EU nomad to comply with the tourist visa, then that's what I will have to do.
Oh gosh, that is so sad. We travelled overland to Australia through the Middle East in ours, too many mermories to part with it yet and more trips to contemplate in the futures.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bons
We travelled overland to Australia through the Middle East in ours, too many mermories to part with it yet and more trips to contemplate in the futures.
Wow. That must have been a fantastic expedition. Probably too dangerous to attempt now. I had started planning for driving the silk road to China with shipping back by rail but my circumstances have changed and I need to concentrate on retirement plans.
If CANZUK becomes real within the next ten years, then maybe one more big expedition for me will be possible.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VwwV
Wow. That must have been a fantastic expedition. Probably too dangerous to attempt now. I had started planning for driving the silk road to China with shipping back by rail but my circumstances have changed and I need to concentrate on retirement plans.
If CANZUK becomes real within the next ten years, then maybe one more big expedition for me will be possible.
It was brilliant. We were in Quetta in July 2001, landing in Australia late July. At one point we were driving in Pakistan on a road parallel to Afghanistan. We were in the Outback when the Twin Towers went down, feeling quite relieved that we had left Pakistan.We have an imprint on the side of the Land Rover where a moped lunged out of a side road at us in Iran and banged into us. Nothing serious, but we've left it there It's a large body and my husband was reversing into a track next to a pub in Fremantle and scraped the top on the pub sign. That's still there. Too many memories to part with it yet.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

bons - we imported our more recent model land rover via an import firm in Pombal, Central Portugal. We did have to ask a lot of questions, and had to prod and poke from time to time to get answers and results, but how you would go on with your modified veteran, not sure. Might be worth an enquiry. They do have English speaking staff if that helps ... https://www.organifacho.com/sobrenos/
Old Jul 28th 2020, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
bons - we imported our more recent model land rover via an import firm in Pombal, Central Portugal. We did have to ask a lot of questions, and had to prod and poke from time to time to get answers and results, but how you would go on with your modified veteran, not sure. Might be worth an enquiry. They do have English speaking staff if that helps ... https://www.organifacho.com/sobrenos/
Thanks very much, anything we can do to help is worth a try.