Mobile phones

Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

scots-pats is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Mobile phones

Hi, greetings from sunny Scotland.
This is for all technowizards.
Can anyone tell me the cost of mobile phones in Portugal and an idea of the call charges particularly back to the UK.
We'd us the phone when we are over visiting as the charges on my UK mobile are quite high so is there a "pay as you go" option in Portugal and do Portuguese sim cards work in UK bought phones?
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mobile phones

When my uncle comes over here he sticks a Portuguese Sim card in his U.K phone........can't mind exact costs as I never call via mobile to sunny Scotland but I reckon its about 25 cents a minute and I think texts are 12 cents.......some networks are different prices......think some charge as much as 40 cents per min, mines is TMN. Expensive but still far cheaper than using a U.K phone.

p.s some cut off after 3 months if you don't use or top them up.

Last edited by gedscottish; Jul 27th 2007 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Mobile phones

Yes mobile costs are a lot cheaper here, we bought a Portuguese sim card for 10 euros and got 5 euros credit. My son came over and lost his mobile so we bought him one so we could keep in touch for 24 euros.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

PirateBarnabus is an unknown quantity at this point

I find a service called Mobivox very useful

check out www.mobivox.com

it links your Spanish mobile to Skype numbers. so you can ring internationally very cheaply.

PB
Old Jul 29th 2007, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

scots-pats is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PirateBarnabus
I find a service called Mobivox very useful

check out www.mobivox.com

it links your Spanish mobile to Skype numbers. so you can ring internationally very cheaply.

PB
Thanks everyone, good information.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

You'll need to make sure that your mobile is not "locked" to your provider. Some phones are easy to unlock but others are more difficult. If your phone is locked then it will only work with that company EG vodafone. Somebody up the barras will unlock your phone for you for about £10
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

If you are thinking about skype or use it, there is a new service called skype to go.
This basically gives you a local UK number that people you give the number to can ring. that number can be configured on your skype account to ring on ypour spanish phone or mobile. you pay for the leg from uk to destination at skype rates , but it's not expensive. Someone on this board mentioned a free service that does this but I know nothing of this but would like to hear more if its true (particularly for transfers to mobiles) meanwhile I use Mobivox out and skype to go on incoming calls for those that deserve it of course.

PB
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:44 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Mobile phones

Hey guys, the Mobivox looks almost too good to be true. Are there any catches? Or am I just being too cynical
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat008 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can use land lines instead of mobiles then Voipstunt http://www.voipstunt.com will give you free calls - including international - over an ADSL / broadband connection. We use it a lot to speak to the family back in the UK and the quality / dropout rate is better than Skype in our view.

For 5 cents per connection you can use a normal phone at the initiating end as well with the "phone2phone" option, and it's also cheaper for sending SMS messages.

There are charges for calling non-private numbers (e.g. 0870, 0845) and mobiles but they are apparently cheaper than Skype.

We only use Skype for the webcam option now, but the traffic is usually so high that picture freeze / dropout is often a problem.

Take a look!

Graeme
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:53 am
Just Joined

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Mobivox is "too good to be true" but it certainly seems to work OK. I have only ever made paid for calls to Landlines and mobiles in the UK. But they are cheap enough. The free skype calls is a cool facility as is the ability to import your skype directory into Mobivox. One feature that I use that I never use anywhere else is the voice activated dialling facility.
It works incredibly well and is so useful when calling from a mobile phone.

There are no catches with Mobivox because there are plenty like me making paid for calls.

Please note that I don't have any vested commercial interest in Mobivox but I like singing it's praises because I was on the Beta test programme early on. I also think that there are other services out there offering similar.

On skype , the Skype to go facility is only available on Skype Pro as far as I know. I like it because I can register my Spanish or Portuguese number and when people ring my Skype to go number or any number that is diverted to it, It presents them with a UK ringing tone, Not the continental tone. presented by my mobile.
THis means that people ringing my Office direct line number ,don't realise that I'm sunning my arse in Spain on my Boat instead of tending to their issues.

I agree with you that Skype itself is not the be all and end all of VOIP though and I often have quality issues when using skype on my PC. I also bought a Skype WIFI phone (SMC version) that doesnt need a PC to be running, just an internet connection (including free public access zones) I have to say that the quality on this can be poor with lots of echo and was not a particularly good buy.

PB
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:57 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PirateBarnabus
It presents them with a UK ringing tone, Not the continental tone. presented by my mobile.
THis means that people ringing my Office direct line number ,don't realise that I'm sunning my arse in Spain on my Boat instead of tending to their issues.
You are a lawyer/solicitor? Am I correct? I am aren't I?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derbyflan
You are a lawyer/solicitor? Am I correct? I am aren't I?
??

You're one of my clients aren't you? I'm right aren't I
No No, you're from Bodgeits LLP are'nt you... You want to expose me I know.....

Well tough luck, cos my secretary will tell everyone I'm in a meeting
and that I will call them back when I'm free

PB
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:54 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

I knew it!