Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

meths and cycling

meths and cycling

Old Mar 18th 2014, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: meths and cycling

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Bit irresponsible isn't it - hope no-one takes this seriously or there could be some very badly injured folk about. A smiley doesn't really cut it.
Actually old chap Aguardente is widely used by the locals for cooking chourico on the terracotta grill's & frankly I don't like chourico cook'd this way because it taste awful.
One off it's nick names is "fire water"
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It is methanol which in Portuguese is álcool desnaturado, (I googled that).

Signed

A passing chemist with Apple Universal Translator on board.
Hi,
I´m confused now. Because I googled ti too and it was like Mr. Bife said, denatured Ethanol, C2H5OH as opposed to methanol which is CH30H..
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie
Hi,
I´m confused now. Because I googled ti too and it was like Mr. Bife said, denatured Ethanol, C2H5OH as opposed to methanol which is CH30H..
The confusion arise because the ethanol is denatured by adding enough methanol to make it toxic (and then a bit of red dye to make it easily identifiable for safety reasons). I could have been clearer, sorry.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The confusion arise because the ethanol is denatured by adding enough methanol to make it toxic (and then a bit of red dye to make it easily identifiable for safety reasons). I could have been clearer, sorry.
Hi Novocastrain,
Thanks for this explaination! I´m now fully up to speed with methylated spirit thanks to you! Have a very good evening!
Beardie

PS It really is such a waste of energy , this denaturing of ethanol, are we such a low species that we can´t be trusted not to abuse it..? Makes one lose hope in the human race somewhat..

Last edited by BlackBeardie; Mar 20th 2014 at 10:00 pm. Reason: additional content
Old Mar 26th 2014, 9:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thanks for that Mr. Bife. I was under the false impression of it being methanol. .....
If I remember correctly, British "methylated spirit" is approximately 40% methyl alcohol (methanol), with the remainder being mostly ethyl alcohol, and a small % of water. As it is sold as a fuel and solvent the fact that methyl alcohol is toxic isn't a problem, but as a fuel and solvent there is negligible difference between methyl and ethyl alcohol, so there is no need to separate the two.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 26th 2014 at 9:25 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If I remember correctly, British "methylated spirit" is approximately 40% methyl alcohol (methanol), with the remainder being mostly ethyl alcohol, and a small % of water. As it is sold as a fuel and solvent the fact that methyl alcohol is toxic isn't a problem, but as a fuel and solvent there is negligible difference between methyl and ethyl alcohol, so there is no need to separate the two.
Thanks. I need to look in the 'fuel value' component of the two as I'm interested in the subject of producing methanol and/or ethanol as bio-fuels.
By the way I whistle Dixie.. and hate the carpet baggers and their bankster friends.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Now cycled from Fuseta to Tavira. I used the N125 which is pretty decent apart from the bit through Luz where you need to stay focused. I turned off at Pedras del Rei and then went through Santa Luzia via the M515. A very nice ride all in all. It was chucking down buckets as well the other day when I went . Still didn't have to resort to using meths though

Last edited by BlackBeardie; Mar 29th 2014 at 10:36 am. Reason: more content
Old Mar 29th 2014, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Nettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really nice

Now cycled from Fuseta to Tavira. I used the N125 which is pretty decent apart from the bit through Luz where you need to stay focused. I turned off at Pedras del Rei and then went through Santa Luzia via the M515. A very nice ride all in all. It was chucking down buckets as well the other day when I went . Still didn't have to resort to using meths though
Old Mar 29th 2014, 1:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I need to look in the 'fuel value' component of the two as I'm interested in the subject of producing methanol and/or ethanol as bio-fuels.
" ..... One liter of ethanol contain 21.1 MJ, a liter of methanol 15.8 MJ and a liter of gasoline approximately 32.6 MJ. In other words, for the same energy content as one liter or one gallon of gasoline, one needs 1.6 liters/gallons of ethanol and 2.1 liters/gallons of methanol. ....." per Wikipedia
.... By the way I whistle Dixie.. and hate the carpet baggers and their bankster friends.
Carpet bags are rarely seen these days, but banksters are still plentiful in these parts.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

Now cycled from Fuseta to Tavira. I used the N125 which is pretty decent apart from the bit through Luz where you need to stay focused. I turned off at Pedras del Rei and then went through Santa Luzia via the M515.
It's actually possible to do most of this without touching the 125 at all, have done it several times - for example there's actually a lovely path that runs from Fuzeta via Pinheiro to Pedras del Rei, going through the back of Luz de Tavira on the way, almost in parallel to the 125. It is all waymarked with yellow paint.