Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Meo fibre router - reconfigure DNS

Meo fibre router - reconfigure DNS

Old Feb 13th 2019, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road
Default Meo fibre router - reconfigure DNS

Hi, Does anyone know how to reconfigure the DNS on the new meo fibre router (GR241AG)? This is usually an easy setting on a router but MEO have locked it down.
Alternatively, does anyone know the administrator password (also known as super user). If I could get usual access I could configure in 2 minutes.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 14th 2019, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meo fibre router - reconfigure DNS

Originally Posted by fergus
Hi, Does anyone know how to reconfigure the DNS on the new meo fibre router (GR241AG)? This is usually an easy setting on a router but MEO have locked it down.
Alternatively, does anyone know the administrator password (also known as super user). If I could get usual access I could configure in 2 minutes.

Thanks in advance

Im over the border and run SmartDNS . I could not get the passwords etc for my Prinet router so I connected another router in line and changed the settings on this one.
Now I can get BBC etc
Old Feb 14th 2019, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Ajmandon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fergus,

I don't have one of these routers but a quick google search / translate of user forums suggests that the firmware doesn't allow you to change the DNS settings and no one it appears has yet got around it. There apparently is/was a firmware update available that allows bridging to a second (DNS/VPN) router as suggested. Originally this wasn't even possible! So it may be a firmware update and a second bridged router with your DNS settings or setting up all your devices individually is the only way forward at this time. ........
Old Feb 19th 2019, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. After research on the internet it seems that the only options are to set the DNS at device level, or alternatively use the meo router as a simple connection to the internet and then add another router to do all the networking. As I use the DNS for watching UK TV, the easiest option seems to be to set the DNS at device level. I do not have access to my Amazon Fire TV stick but I believe that using the advanced settings you can enter the DNS servers you want, to use. Have tested the concept on a couple of laptops and they seem happy to play BBC iplayer content, so maybe all will be okay.

Thanks for replies
Old Feb 19th 2019, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

I was following this thread as I recently was supplied with a new Meo router (Thomson tg784n - not fibre) which I couldn't get into. I managed to convince an old DD-WRT Netgear router to connect instead which solved my immediate problem with DNS settings at the router level but (from the UK) can confirm that the advanced settings of a Fire TV stick do allow DNS settings to be changed (something I hadn't previously realised). I can't confirm if it solves the problem as I'm not geo-blocked at the moment anyway.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 8:12 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

How is changing the DNS on your Meo router going to help get around any IP controls on UK TV anyhow? Surely this is going to be based on your source IP address and not going to resolve servers differently outside the UK.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

I use SmartDNSProxy and changing the DNS server settings is a necessary part of making it work. If it can be done in the router, then every device on the network benefits without any further intervention. I'm not sure how it works but there's probably an explanation somewhere.