Medical Advice

Old Jan 19th 2022, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Jenwins77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Advice

Morning all!

We are planning to relocate to Portugal on a D7 visa at the end of this year.

My question is around medical insurance. I know that we have to have our own to go with our application but has anybody had any experience with pre existing illnesses not being covered and they being an issue?

I am recovering from cancer so definitely won’t get cover for that. I am ok to fund my own treatment (or return to the U.K. for it) but I am concerned if it will cause any issues with the visa application!

Thanks so much in advance!
Old Jan 19th 2022, 9:20 am
Just Joined

el barto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical Advice

Try MGEN Portugal health Insurance. They provide cover without a medical questionnaire on registering, therefore no selection of patients based on their state of health, without excluding applications with pre-existing diseases, without excluding serious diseases, such as HIV or cancer, without excluding the first year of cover for maternity, without excluding older people and without cancelling in the event of an increased accident rate.
You may have to use a broker to get a policy depending on your level of the Portuguese language as their website is only in Portuguese.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks El Barto that’s really helpful.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am interested in this. When it says families does that mean couples only as well? I can't find any other section but my Portuguese is rubbsh.

Is it normal to give your fiscal number when just asking a question? I don't like giving my personal details away unless it's absolutely necessary.

Last edited by bons; Jan 19th 2022 at 9:34 am.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Just one caveat on returning to the UK for treatment.To qualify for NHS care you need to be resident in the UK otherwise you will need to pay. The only people that may return to the UK are people with an S1 issued prior to the WA I believe but I stand to be corrected
Old Jan 19th 2022, 10:33 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Just one caveat on returning to the UK for treatment.To qualify for NHS care you need to be resident in the UK otherwise you will need to pay. The only people that may return to the UK are people with an S1 issued prior to the WA I believe but I stand to be corrected
That is my understanding too.

Rosemary
Old Jan 19th 2022, 10:36 am
Just Joined

el barto is an unknown quantity at this point

yes the familias-plano essencial is also for individuals and couples not just those with children.
Not sure about fiscal number but personally I wouldnt be bothered as you give that out almost everywhere in Portugal and to do almost anything.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the heads up re treatment in the U.K.! My plan would be if needed to pay for private PET scans every 6 months and have my cancer follow up stuff handled separately.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that if you receive a k state pension you aren't required to pay.
Also if you have registered your S1 post WA that is still applicable. That is what I'm reading via the gov. website. you can receive healthcare for free by using your euro EHIC card .
Old Jan 19th 2022, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Primary NHS care is open to anyone, anytime (GP,nurse, A&E).
NHS secondary care is subject to residency test (surgery, etc.).