Maps

Old Aug 3rd 2013, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough
Default Maps

Hi can anyone recommend a detailed map for Algarve/West Coast. I can only find 1:200.000 which isn't very good or detailed for minor roads? Thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maps

I have a set made from joined up google photos. It's 5 or 6 jpegs of 1-2Mb each.

I also have calibration files to use them with Oziexplorer satnav system. If you have a tablet or laptop with GPS, you can download the program and with my maps you can have a lot of fun.
You might be able to work with the free demo, I'm not sure.

Of course, it's difficult to know which roads are 4wd only.

If you PM your email, I'll post the maps to you.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisyman1951
Hi can anyone recommend a detailed map for Algarve/West Coast. I can only find 1:200.000 which isn't very good or detailed for minor roads? Thanks

Where from:-
http://www.mapsworldwide.com/c/1295/...25000-maps.htm

Catalogue??
http://www.mapsworldwide.com/graphic...it125index.gif

Example
http://www.mapsworldwide.com/sku_15940.htm

Probably cheaper in Portugal
Old Aug 4th 2013, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Finally remembered the link from where I made purchases.

http://www.themapshop.co.uk/europe/rest/portugal.htm
Old Aug 4th 2013, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks Fred
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

The only truely accurate maps of Portugal are the military maps.
You can get hold of copies , but as far as i know only through your local town hall.
We bought a copy of the maps Fred recommended , but frankly off the main roads they were useless.
Best of luck
Old Aug 4th 2013, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

My google photo maps show just about everything. But of course you can't always tell when a visible track is passable for your vehicle. Also, unless you have access to a great and wonderful printer, you need an electronic device to view them.

I spent many hours capturing, joining and calibrating them. I use a satnav program called Oziexplorer that can display my position on these graphic map images.

I've used it to find my way to remote properties and secluded beaches, and also to plot land area [when offered a property that wasn't what I was told it was].

If you have the paid version of google earth, it will display your position on your screen; but you need mobile internet [your cache should get you through dark spots] and a mobile device with GPS.
You can zoom in to very high definition with that setup.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi daisyman

Please note from my first reply

http://www.mapsworldwide.com/sku_15940.htm

View series index map

Portuguese topographic maps from the Portuguese Military are very clear and largely up to date. Each map covers 16km x 10km.

We do not have them all in stock, as there are over 600 maps covering Portugal. But we can order them in for you from Portugal, they will take 2-3 weeks as they have to be collected by hand from the Military!
The series index map here :- http://www.mapsworldwide.com/itm_img/cartogramaM888.jpg

My second reply from the company I purchased maps with a Military Legend shows the following index :- http://www.themapshop.co.uk/images/p...ortugal25k.gif

I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions

Regards

Fred
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi daisyman

Also yesterday I e mailed the http://www.themapshop.co.uk/ asking if the source of their 1/25000 maps was from the Portugese Military Maps.

This morning they have replied confirming this is correct

Regards

Fred
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Fred
Old Aug 5th 2013, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

Canoeman i did the same as you for local areas, google have just updated to 2013 for most of Portugal
Well done Fred,
shame you couldn't resist the knife in the back again.
The maps we bought were so out of date they were useless off the main roads - they claimed to be up to date then 4 years ago, so hopefully now they've got their acts together
Here's a perfect link for you - enjoy
http://www.algarvedailynews.com/news...er-warns-spain
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve01
We bought a copy of the maps Fred recommended , but frankly off the main roads they were useless.
Best of luck
Well done Fred,
shame you couldn't resist the knife in the back again.
The maps we bought were so out of date they were useless off the main roads

Err .... I think Fred was responding to your comment
I don't see any evidence of knives in back
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-chips-2127068
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

!

Last edited by steve01; Aug 6th 2013 at 9:45 am.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 9:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Fred lives in Gibralter, has no intension of moving to Portugal - why on earth is he posting to the Portugal forum?
People are allowed to post where they want on BE. No one is restricted. Some members post all over the world and thats fine. As long as they don't break the rules that's fine

As an "innocent" bystander I don't see what you see, so maybe .. just maybe .... it's an assumption by you resulting from a past fall out?

So .... lets please bury the hatchet and move on. Its just a forum ... lets be nice to each other eh?