Wikiposts

Making a Will

Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Making a Will

As unpleasant as this subject may seem, does anyone know whether its possible to make a Will in Portugal ? Or can one make a Will in the UK which will apply to any personal effects/property owned abroad ?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice
Default Re: Making a Will

Originally Posted by ah207
As unpleasant as this subject may seem, does anyone know whether its possible to make a Will in Portugal ? Or can one make a Will in the UK which will apply to any personal effects/property owned abroad ?
There has been quite a lot on this subject recently across various forums.

I think the general consensus is although a will isn't a requirement in PT, it would be wise and prudent to have one, either through a lawyer or a notary.

An English Will can be acceptable in PT but requires translation to reduce complications. I believe that a PT Will can also be far simpler than in the UK.

Costs seem to vary considerably in PT based on people's experiences, between €300 at one end and €1,000 at the top.

So as in all things, shop around.

Good Luck
Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:11 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ah207

The general opinion over EU countries has been that you should do both. Have one made up in Portugal for instance, and a UK will also that mirrors it. Having a UK will only tends to cause problems when your survivors really dont need it
Old Sep 19th 2012, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

We have been told that a PT will is essential if you own property here unless you want the PT rules to apply re inheritance. ie if my husband dies, his share would automatically be shared with the children and visa versa. Could create a sticky situation!!
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Mr and Mrs is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I have recently done this. We live in the UK but have a property in PT. We simply told our solicitor what we wanted in our wills, she sorted everything out and told us when to attend the notaries office. It cost €360 for both wills but I think it is money well spent as it will avoid any confusion when we pop our clogs.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your input. Its a sobering subjects - but since many of us have bank accounts and/or own property in one/both countries, its wise to clarify things. I wouldn't want the State to take whatever I leave behind and I certainly wouldn't want squabbling relatives either.

Not that I'm planning to pop my clogs any time soon!!
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs
My wife and I have recently done this. We live in the UK but have a property in PT. We simply told our solicitor what we wanted in our wills, she sorted everything out and told us when to attend the notaries office. It cost €360 for both wills but I think it is money well spent as it will avoid any confusion when we pop our clogs.
Hi would you mind sharing the name of you solicitor as this is a really good price?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Mr and Mrs is an unknown quantity at this point

pm sent
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs
pm sent
Thank you very much.