Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Old Mar 8th 2016, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

How about running costs out in Portugal, do you have council tax/s and what about water and electricity unit costs?

Are there any taxes on land ownership, if so are they significant?

Do you have anything there that they don't in the UK...surprises?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 7:55 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanB
How about running costs out in Portugal, do you have council tax/s and what about water and electricity unit costs?

Are there any taxes on land ownership, if so are they significant?

Do you have anything there that they don't in the UK...surprises?
The utility costs are higher than the UK, rates on land and property less, the cost of living generally lower for food etc.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

We have 3 acres and pay 39 euros a year - well, we will, in 3 years time

We have our own water and fossa, also solar. But we are connected to EDP too.

Only been here a couple of months, but our running costs are minimal. Get our bread, veg etc, from the local bar as the delivery people stop there. We have to buy drinking water s haven't had out water tested yet, but I'm cooking with it, and no problems so far.

Theer is supposed to be a tax on the bore hole, it has to be registered. Ours was apparently registered 8 years ago, but nothing has been done about it yet, so no idea of the cost.

The ruin on the land is pre 1937, so no tax on that.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuzetajan
We have 3 acres and pay 39 euros a year - well, we will, in 3 years time

We have our own water and fossa, also solar. But we are connected to EDP too.

Only been here a couple of months, but our running costs are minimal. Get our bread, veg etc, from the local bar as the delivery people stop there. We have to buy drinking water s haven't had out water tested yet, but I'm cooking with it, and no problems so far.

Theer is supposed to be a tax on the bore hole, it has to be registered. Ours was apparently registered 8 years ago, but nothing has been done about it yet, so no idea of the cost.

The ruin on the land is pre 1937, so no tax on that.
That sounds fantastic, just what I am looking for, where are you and is there anything else around?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Just outside Ouique.

There probably will. be some others around, but things are picking up and likely to be more expensive.

We used Remax, which seems to be about the only estate agent around here. Otherwise, it's just driving round the villages and looking for vende-se signs.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

We are set to arrive in Portugal in about a month and will need some form of communication.

Phone, I would like to get a SIM to put in my phone, whats the easiest system, in the UK Giffgaff cost £7.50 a month for 250 minutes, all texts and 500mb of data, renewable every month, or not.

Is there something similar out there, if so how/where can I buy this?

In the UK and elsewhere, we use MacDonalds and Starbucks to get free wifi, Sensibly I don't think these places exist to any extent in Portugal, but is there anything else available?

Sorry a little off-topic, but all part of the house hunt.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Allan

Best SIM deals are usually with lycamobile.pt and I get an idea you can get them at the airport and many/most of the local coffee shops have free wifi but you have to ask them for the code.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Allan

Best SIM deals are usually with lycamobile.pt and I get an idea you can get them at the airport and many/most of the local coffee shops have free wifi but you have to ask them for the code.
We are driving up in a campervan, so we will ask in the shops on the way and yes coffee shop there are good and reasonably priced, unlike the overpriced crap at Starbucks, sounds good.

Cheers for that..
Old Mar 19th 2016, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

You can order a free lycamobile simc card online but obviously need an address to have it sent to.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
If you can live within 5-10 km of the coast, the weather is almost always mild. Of course you pay more,
Properties are very affordable as soon as you leave "Algarve". I just met a guy a 1/2 hour north of Lisbon who bagged a new build villa near the sea for 120,000.
Ruins are huge headaches, always far overpriced. It will cost much, much more to buy one and rebuild than to buy a ready house. And the bureaucracy will suck the joy of life out of you.
As Eric said, any land needs maintenance, it will be totally overgrown within months unless someone is cutting it back. I have a shed full of machinery and it still eats at my free time.
A garden is nice, but only if you can devote the time to it that it needs.
If you aren't going to be in [nearly] full time residence, I'd really think apartment.
Many people get away with caravan on a plot, but some don't. And if you leave for 6 months at a stretch, anything could happen there.

Um! have to say that the 'Algarve' isn't the total 'money pit' it can be made out to be-If your patient that is. My YD just bought a 3 bed apartment in the old town part of Lagos for 83,000. Only downside was it needs a ton of work on it having been owned by the same family for yrs who did zero to it.(27 family members signed the deeds) The last remaining FM was in his 80's when he died. I think the kitchen came out of the Ark. It will cost her 15,000 to renovate . Hard work involved ,but worth it in the end. Lovely sea ,beach and city views. Her boss valued it at being worth about 140,000 euro's when it's completed
I therefore think you need to decide on the area you prefer first. If climate is important ,look at those area's that match your idea's. Then spend some time there. These things can't be rushed imo.
Just been reading a poor woman't tale of despair on another site. Her OH wanted total peace and quiet in retirement . A rural setting in France. They have got that in spades,only she can't stand the loneliness. He won't/can't learn French and so she has to do everything outside the house as well as in. i.e. all the paperwork/contact with authorities.plus housework/cooking,and try and re-create her original business of cake making. The climate hasn't proved to be too great either,lovely in the summer as he remembered through many holidays in the Dordogne. However bitterly cold with deep snow in the winter,something he hadn't bargained for. Lets not even begin on the winds that can blow you to distraction . What I am saying is ,nothing we say can replace personal experience.Take your time and do a bit of camping before you decide.Good luck

Last edited by GeniB; Mar 19th 2016 at 11:10 am.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 1:10 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of affordable properties in the Algarve if you look for them and are orepared to do some work.
Our friends in the real estate business tell us that one of their problems are clients expectations.
They see all around them beautifull villas pristine holiday complexes minutes from the beach but are sadly dissapointed with what their 100000 euros will buy.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Are there any areas of "micro climate" in Portugal?

We are currently in Bordeaux en-route to Portugal for a look around, looking for some ideas og where to head once there.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Or, are there any areas with an Algarve climate, but with a real Portuguese flavour rather than the big flash white painted villa brigade? Perhaps in the foothills?

I don't plan on living among the "British rich and boring, I want locals as neighbours and friends, also avoiding holiday makers.

No offence, each to their own.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

For year-round climate, get within 5 km of the coast; this is still quite affordable on the west coast between Sagres and Odeceixe on the western Algarve, and north to Sines.
Not many people; much of the area is very sparsely populated.

That can be good, and it can be bad.
There's an Atlantic wind which I like a lot, but some might find annoying. Very low pollen levels.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Eastern Algarve definitely the best. Affordable, good weather - few winds, lower cost of living, good mix of expats from all walks of life. 100000 euros will still buy you a decent apartment, but villas and town houses come dearer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.