Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Old Mar 2nd 2016, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

I lived in Australia for 3 years, mainly in Sydney and the difference between the western suburbs and the coast could be 10-20c, so I know what you mean.

I am quite interested in a bit of altitude which seems a nice option, when we bought our 2nd place in France in the Girronde peninsular, we were thinking of the Pyrenees which had more varied weather, but never found anything suitable.

Wondered about the mountains in Portugal, or surrounding area, as another option?

"Ruins are huge headaches, always far overpriced. It will cost much, much more to buy one and rebuild than to buy a ready house. And the bureaucracy will suck the joy of life out of you." That is a point I meant to raise ...not good.

Last edited by AllanB; Mar 2nd 2016 at 8:32 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

We're surrounded by mountains & I've gotta say I enjoy them as long as I don't have to climb them and the big advantage of being away from the coast is significantly lower humidity.... and (in my area at least, if you want to swim, you're never more than a few minutes drive from a river beach or Lake Cabril where if you have a 4x4, you can pretty much always find a completely private bay all to yourself.

I'd agree that most ruins aren't worth the hassle but there is plenty of middle ground in the houses that are habitable but in the words of the estate agents, "would benefit from some improvements"....... usually things like windows, heating & air con etc.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

there are some incredible real estate deals in the mountainous areas. You can certainly get a lot of bang for your buck.
However, it can get very hot sometimes [of course when that happens you can hide indoors if you have a decent house].
Make sure you have communications; some places can't get signals and are too far away for wires.
and make sure you can get medical care; everyone needs that sooner or later.
There are god hospitals in Coimbra and Porto, but as far as I know the rest of northern Portugal is not well served.
Also, think of fire safety if you're in a forested area. Most of Portugal has already burnt down.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 5:43 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
There are god hospitals in Coimbra and Porto, but as far as I know the rest of northern Portugal is not well served.
I'm a mere mortal and I've always been very well-served hospital-wise
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Hospital wise, I have to say Faro have been very good to me - several major ops - all done under the health service. And very very good surgeons and consultants.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

A Portuguese friend of mine has mentioned Alentejo to me as being really good, but whatever her reason was lost in the translation.

What is about this place?

Also looking for a few locations to head for, ideas please?
Old Mar 6th 2016, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

We're ion the Alentejo, but the lower part - it really is a huge and vary diverse region.

We're just outside Ourique, so have everything we need there, the people are very helpful and friendly (much more so than the Algarve ) and yes, it is colder in the winter and hotter in the summer than the Algarve, but the countryside is interesting.

We're on top of a small hill so the views are fantastic.

The food is better, the restaurants are much cheaper and the black pork is sublime - if it's cooked properly and the right cut. Otherwise, rather fatty.

Have atravel around, when you come over and see for yourself
Old Mar 6th 2016, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

I just wonder why you need to buy? Tons of people from all over Europe arrive in their camper vans and pitch in all sorts of places, although mostly in the winter and spring months. No cost, no responsibility. Unless you want to build or grow or put down roots I cannot see the point. It will just be a headache worrying about your place for the 6 months you are not there.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAROL ELIZABETH
I just wonder why you need to buy? Tons of people from all over Europe arrive in their camper vans and pitch in all sorts of places, although mostly in the winter and spring months. No cost, no responsibility. Unless you want to build or grow or put down roots I cannot see the point. It will just be a headache worrying about your place for the 6 months you are not there.
That is a very valid point too and one which I have and still think about, 6 months works for our place in Thailand, but we have friends and relatives here. We spend the winter months here, unlike many others who use Portugal to get away from the cold northern weather back home.

There is a desire to put down some roots too and I do fancy doing some renovation, plus have a view to settle there in the future. I do like camping, especially wild camping, but not long term and especially not mid summer.

Am also thinking about buying a piece of agricultural land, olive grove, almonds and putting a temporary struct on it and or parking the camper on it, but not sure about the rules there.

There is another option to buy and rent out the spare weeks/months.

Whatever we decide upon, I am sure we can get a local to look after things in our absence.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:28 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAROL ELIZABETH
The " good times " for vanners fortunately are coming to an end in the Algarve with the authorities clamping down on un authorised camping.
For just a few euros night you will be able to find a site with facilities.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find a lot about this by using the search function but the short answer is that land has different designations here and if it's defined as Rustica, you cannot build on it and temporary shelters for human habitation are not allowed.

The good news is there's plenty of Urbano land that has houses on them for sale at good prices so not really a need to break the rules.

Allan

BTW, I did reply to your PM but didn't hear back so I'm not sure if you received it?
Old Mar 7th 2016, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
The " good times " for vanners fortunately are coming to an end in the Algarve with the authorities clamping down on un authorised camping.
For just a few euros night you will be able to find a site with facilities.
Personally I would want to wild camp in the posh Algarve, wild camping belongs in the wilderness........

...and as you say a few Euros gets you toilets, showers and a laundry all on a proper (and very nice) campsite.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

There is still plenty of wild camping going on, but the GNR [national police] randomly cracks down.
Usually they give a warning first, but if they fine you it's very expensive.
A lot of people camp on their own land; a LOT of people. This is mostly tolerated, but it is not legal. Again, it depends on the area, the neighbors [if any], and the whims of the local authorities.

While a lot of expats scream about rules and laws, the Portuguese don't seem nearly so bothered.
Out in the rural areas, plenty of locals also live in irregular buildings and campers.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 11:41 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanB
Personally I would want to wild camp in the posh Algarve, wild camping belongs in the wilderness........

...and as you say a few Euros gets you toilets, showers and a laundry all on a proper (and very nice) campsite.
The Algarve posh, have you ever been there.
You will hear as many regional british accents as in any of the area popular with Brits.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
The Algarve posh, have you ever been there.
You will hear as many regional british accents as in any of the area popular with Brits.
Yes, I went there years back with two English millionaires, showed me their big swanky villas, then took us out for an expensive meal...and then suggested we split the bill, which we did. I call that posh.

Although last year we went to the eastern Algarve stayed on a lovely campsite and had a great time...delicious oranges.

Would drive out north into the hills/mountains and camp though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.