Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Looking to marry in the Algarve - Advice please

Looking to marry in the Algarve - Advice please

Old Aug 6th 2023, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

BobnJax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to marry in the Algarve - Advice please

We're looking to marry in the Algarve next year (September 24 with around 25 guests) and would welcome any advice.
We don't live in Portugal and are hoping to have a civil ceremony that is also legal in the UK.
We have read online articles and understand we have to provide documentation translated by approved notaries and that its possible to marry at almost any venue.
Is it easier to get married at say Faro or Albufeira registry office or is getting a registrar and translator to a venue a straightforward proposition?
Old Aug 7th 2023, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to marry in the Algarve - Advice please

We faced a similar problem many years ago. We were both living in S Africa but my wife to be wanted to marry in Mozambique where she grew up and friends and parents were still living and working. Mozambique (Portuguese East Africa) at that time had the same rules as Portugal and not being resident, I couldn't be married there. We got around it by marrying in Johannesburg registry office and then having civil ceremony in Beira, which to all intents was a normal wedding, just not a legal one.

You may find it easier to do something similar with registry office in UK and ceremony here, which would avoid the expense and hassle of notary and paperwork and then legal translation back to English when proof of marriage needed there in future.
Old Aug 7th 2023, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

We were married here 10 years ago. one of us was a resident.
I don't think you can be married as non-residents but I'm not sure.

A lot of paperwork was required; I asked at the registry office (Conservatoria) and they gave me a list of what they needed. When I had managed to get all of it (translated and notarized when required), I took it to the office, the lady checked it all and we made an appointment for the nuptials.

Only the registry offices in the larger towns can handle this I was told, as it's quite technical.

I agree with GrahamF; unless you have a reason to get married here, do it wherever you are resident and just have your reception in Portugal.
Old Aug 8th 2023, 7:45 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

When you search TripAdvisor there are plenty of questions about wedding organisers in Portugal. You should be able to find information about location, prices etc from the responses.
Old Aug 8th 2023, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

I don't have any specific information to help you but I see many weddings on the cliff top next to the Senhora da Rocha chapel (Porches - Algarve). I see a wedding at least once a week summer and winter and the participants all have British accents, so maybe there is a UK based agency organizing these.