Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Looking forward to September

Looking forward to September

Old Aug 29th 2022, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking forward to September

They seem to be attracted to the human ear; or do I just imagine that?
Anyway, I do kill them in the dark by holding my hand by my neck and waiting for the whine to get to my ear, then swiping and grabbing.

Success rate; maybe 25%.

Old Aug 30th 2022, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
DEET sprays on exposed skin work for me but some of them get me through my clothing. Plug-in repellents by various manufacturers don't seem effective any more inside the house. Maybe the blighters have got used to them. Tiger Balm is my saviour when they get me but my cheap Far Eastern supply has just run out.
For some strange reason the blighters would attack me and not my wife. The absence of them is just one of the many pluses about moving to the Algarve. We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom in HK otherwise I would have put a mozzie net over the bed. I'll be heading back there for Christmas and the New Year BB so if you're in need of a stock of Tiger Balm I will gladly bring some back for you.
Old Aug 30th 2022, 2:22 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
For some strange reason the blighters would attack me and not my wife. The absence of them is just one of the many pluses about moving to the Algarve. We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom in HK otherwise I would have put a mozzie net over the bed. I'll be heading back there for Christmas and the New Year BB so if you're in need of a stock of Tiger Balm I will gladly bring some back for you.
Normally they LOVE me (and of course, I react badly to bites) and ignore SWMBO. But last year, I was fairly OK whereas she was disturbed most nights.....

I tried to be sympathetic............ honestly.
Old Aug 30th 2022, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I think that your blood group might be O Positive like me. My wife is also not so affected by mozzie attacks. Yes please to the supply of Tiger Balm (white). It is about 7 to 8 Pounds Sterling in the UK for the large size. I will gladly drive to your place in the Algarve with a pocket full of Euros.
Old Aug 30th 2022, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance of you dropping some off in Budapest! 😀
Old Aug 31st 2022, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute

Which colour balm do you use? I just looked at Amazon es. and they have it and if you have Prime a few companies deliver for free! Prime is only 36 euros pa. If you sign up now before the increase and you get Prime tv for free. I think it is a bargain compared with the UK @ £79!
Old Aug 31st 2022, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

I think that your blood group might be O Positive like me. My wife is also not so affected by mozzie attacks. Yes please to the supply of Tiger Balm (white). It is about 7 to 8 Pounds Sterling in the UK for the large size. I will gladly drive to your place in the Algarve with a pocket full of Euros.
I think it’s about half that price in HK, BB. Not to forget there is no sales tax there. Will contact you again before I leave and if you’re still needing I will gladly bring some back.
Old Aug 31st 2022, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Any chance of you dropping some off in Budapest! 😀
I wouldn’t need an excuse to revisit the wonderful city of Budapest but I think a tub of tiger balm would get the wife’s notice …
Old Aug 31st 2022, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I think it’s about half that price in HK, BB. Not to forget there is no sales tax there. Will contact you again before I leave and if you’re still needing I will gladly bring some back.
Last time I was in Bangkok it was the equivalent of 2 Pounds Sterling in some markets. Cheers, Bill.
Old Aug 31st 2022, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn’t need an excuse to revisit the wonderful city of Budapest but I think a tub of tiger balm would get the wife’s notice …
Old Aug 31st 2022, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I thought tiger balm was ancient history...
My mother swore by the stuff but I don't think I've heard it mentioned for 30 years or more.
Old Aug 31st 2022, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Last time I was in Bangkok it was the equivalent of 2 Pounds Sterling in some markets. Cheers, Bill.
Bangkok is the knock off capital of the planet. That’s why so many things are cheap.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

It must be getting fashionable again. It's being advertised on UK tv.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toots sweet
It must be getting fashionable again. It's being advertised on UK tv.
not really. They need tourists to buy all those knock offs …
Old Sep 1st 2022, 9:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I thought tiger balm was ancient history...
My mother swore by the stuff but I don't think I've heard it mentioned for 30 years or more.
My Mother came over a few years ago, bringing (just) Olbas oil and Tiger Balm.
(PS: autocorrect tried to change Olbas oil to Olga's oil - the mind boggles!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.