Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Looking forward to September

Looking forward to September

Old Aug 27th 2022, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking forward to September

September;

The tourists will go home; sometimes I have to wait for a break in traffic to cross the road outside my gate! And they keep driving into my fields.

People will get back to work who are holding up my projects by their absence.

The weather will cool down.

Maybe EDP will come by and fix the pole that fell down in my yard last month.

Maybe, just maybe, it will rain.

Old Aug 27th 2022, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking forward to September

good luck with EDP amigo
Old Aug 27th 2022, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Rain. I'll be happy with rain.

I have been known to go out when it rains and just be.................
Old Aug 27th 2022, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Feel your pain, we, mistakenly spent a week in the Algarve one August and vowed never to go back again in that month.

Restaurants, bars etc that had been crying out for your custom all year suddenly couldn't accommodate you.

I suppose when all the tourists go home at the end of August you will have the September mosquitos to look forward to!!
Old Aug 28th 2022, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

The tourist money is what keeps the area from total poverty; the roads paved, water in the pipes, and electricity in the wires. But I'll be happy when it's over.

We rarely get mosquitos.

But if mosquitos are the price for rain, then I'm more than happy to pay.
Old Aug 28th 2022, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

What's this about mosquitos coming back? I have mosquitos all year round in my garden and they find their way to my bedroom most nights. There is one under my kitchen tap most mornings when I go to fill the kettle. I don't have water lying around in my garden but I do have an irrigation system drip-feeding the plants that need water.
Old Aug 28th 2022, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

If the little nasties are living in your place, you can get rid of them.
Little known fact; mosies live on plants. They survive by sucking sap; and shelter under the leaves in the heat of the day. That's why there are so many in certain gardens.
They need a blood meal to generate eggs, and open water to lay them, but we all know that part.

Shake your succulent plants just before dusk and see if a cloud of them fly out.

Old Aug 28th 2022, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Lentisc is an unknown quantity at this point

The only hate I have and it is selfish, is that I cannot wait for Zoomarine to close. The traffic on the EN 125 is unbelievable. Whoever decide to have traffic comming from 2 different directions on the main road into the complex around a small traffic island wants a severe talking too.

Old Aug 28th 2022, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

I have a sub-tropical garden ... and have done for 20+years. We rarely have mosquitos ... but do have orange orchards around us.
Old Aug 28th 2022, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Me too; we have oranges, tangerines, plums, figs, nesperas, pears, grapes, nectarines, and apples.
Maybe the mosis don't like pesticide I use on the fruit.

We also have a lot of ornamental plants that do not get sprayed.

I don't know what sort of plants they do live in, but we had some vines on our porch in India and that was full of the little blighters.
When we found out and took it away, the porch didn't look as nice but the mosis were gone.
Old Aug 29th 2022, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
If the little nasties are living in your place, you can get rid of them.
Little known fact; mosies live on plants. They survive by sucking sap; and shelter under the leaves in the heat of the day. That's why there are so many in certain gardens.
They need a blood meal to generate eggs, and open water to lay them, but we all know that part.

Shake your succulent plants just before dusk and see if a cloud of them fly out.
Not exactly true in my 20 years' experience of living in the Algarve. They do not shelter in my garden during the heat of the day. They seek me out wherever I am gardening during the day. They attack me when I am hanging out the washing or bringing it in. They get me when I am in the garage. My blood is O positive and I believe that is their favourite meal. Yes they are under the leaves of our potted plants in particular and that is when I spray them but they are also hiding under my desk in the study, in my bedroom and in the bathroom. I was in Tavira on Friday evening and donated my blood to 4 of them. They even find me in the changing room of clothing stores. Some people are just so attractive!
Old Aug 29th 2022, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Not exactly true in my 20 years' experience of living in the Algarve. They do not shelter in my garden during the heat of the day. They seek me out wherever I am gardening during the day. They attack me when I am hanging out the washing or bringing it in. They get me when I am in the garage. My blood is O positive and I believe that is their favourite meal. Yes they are under the leaves of our potted plants in particular and that is when I spray them but they are also hiding under my desk in the study, in my bedroom and in the bathroom. I was in Tavira on Friday evening and donated my blood to 4 of them. They even find me in the changing room of clothing stores. Some people are just so attractive!
Are those repellent thingies pretty useless?

Or have you got to the stage where what will be, will be?
Old Aug 29th 2022, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chislenko
Are those repellent thingies pretty useless?

Or have you got to the stage where what will be, will be?
DEET sprays on exposed skin work for me but some of them get me through my clothing. Plug-in repellents by various manufacturers don't seem effective any more inside the house. Maybe the blighters have got used to them. Tiger Balm is my saviour when they get me but my cheap Far Eastern supply has just run out.
Old Aug 29th 2022, 10:27 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a worse sound on a hot summer night that that high-pitched whine of a mossie?

Lights on, hunting, ...... no sign, back to bed, lights off. 2 minutes peace, then that whine again.......

So many nights slept with a sheet covering my head.

But, oh, the satisfaction when you find one and get it!
Old Aug 29th 2022, 10:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Is there a worse sound on a hot summer night that that high-pitched whine of a mossie?

Lights on, hunting, ...... no sign, back to bed, lights off. 2 minutes peace, then that whine again.......

So many nights slept with a sheet covering my head.

But, oh, the satisfaction when you find one and get it!
Butting in from Hungary!

Oh yes, we can all relate to that whine!

Read post above about perpetrator sitting under the tap.
By coincidence saw one under the sink tap in the bathroom last night, first time I've seen that - successfully jetted down the plug hole! Nasty looking bugger too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.