Reload this Page >

Looking for a apartament

Looking for a apartament

Old May 14th 2019, 10:13 am
Just Joined

David_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a apartament

Hello,
I would like to buy a flat in Algarve in Portugal. Do you recommend any reliable websites to find out flats ? I would be very grateful for any advice as well.
Old May 14th 2019, 11:55 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a apartament

Originally Posted by David_
Hello,
I would like to buy a flat in Algarve in Portugal. Do you recommend any reliable websites to find out flats ? I would be very grateful for any advice as well.
Where in The Algarve?
Prices vary immensely depending on location, age , condition, etc etc
Just google Algarve apartments forsake and you will see 100s of sites.
Many are just Portals when agents advertise.
Start with Rightmove,
Old May 17th 2019, 3:20 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

I second EMR's points.

In addition I would ask : when exactly do you wish to be able to move into your ( when purchased ) flat ?

You would be well advised to decide the area you wish to reside in ( or think you wish to reside in - you might change your mind on account of experiences - ) first, and then rent for a period before taking the purchasing plunge.

From October onwards you should be able to rent a two bed flat in a seaside resort fairly cheaply on an out of season basis. You ought to be able to get a three month rental for less than Euros 1,000 a month, this to include ALL bills : all utilities and local taxes, as well as good strong broadband and cable TV subs.

From that base you would have the time to explore and make a much more informed decision as to where you eventually wished to buy..........ALSO, you could discuss your requirements / budget ( what is it btw ? makes a huge difference as to what is possible ) with a number of estate agents. They would then have time ( during your rental ) to keep you in mind as and when properties came into their market.

You might consider a three month rental at a grand a month 'lost money' - but I disagree ( and speak from bitter experience..lol ). It would be a very useful investment, both of time and money, if it stopped you buying somewhere which looked immediately attractive but then turned out to have long term problems once you moved in. Also if you are not in any rush to move in anywhere and the Vendors become aware of that it gives you a bit stronger bargaining power when you do come to make an offer.
Old May 29th 2019, 11:05 am
Just Joined

arn.dna93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also with Rightmove, never trust where the pin has been dropped on the map. The property is never there.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

waterhobo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by riv
I second EMR's points.

In addition I would ask : when exactly do you wish to be able to move into your ( when purchased ) flat ?

You would be well advised to decide the area you wish to reside in ( or think you wish to reside in - you might change your mind on account of experiences - ) first, and then rent for a period before taking the purchasing plunge.

From October onwards you should be able to rent a two bed flat in a seaside resort fairly cheaply on an out of season basis. You ought to be able to get a three month rental for less than Euros 1,000 a month, this to include ALL bills : all utilities and local taxes, as well as good strong broadband and cable TV subs.

From that base you would have the time to explore and make a much more informed decision as to where you eventually wished to buy..........ALSO, you could discuss your requirements / budget ( what is it btw ? makes a huge difference as to what is possible ) with a number of estate agents. They would then have time ( during your rental ) to keep you in mind as and when properties came into their market.

You might consider a three month rental at a grand a month 'lost money' - but I disagree ( and speak from bitter experience..lol ). It would be a very useful investment, both of time and money, if it stopped you buying somewhere which looked immediately attractive but then turned out to have long term problems once you moved in. Also if you are not in any rush to move in anywhere and the Vendors become aware of that it gives you a bit stronger bargaining power when you do come to make an offer.
This would be my advice to anyone coming to live here for the first time. Rent somewhere, get a feel for the area, experience the downsides of apartment/ village/ rural (whichever you think you want) living, talk to others in the area, before spending your money and then finding you've got it wrong.It's an expensive mistake to make.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 9:14 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arn.dna93
Also with Rightmove, never trust where the pin has been dropped on the map. The property is never there.
Oh, if only that were the only thing not to trust!!

Overall, agree with what has been said - write down what you want, break it down by MUST HAVEs and NICE TO HAVEs,
Decide a possible location, or at least what you want from the location - sea view, mountains, airport - and what you DON'T want - a nice concrete wall in front of you, main roads, airport
Decide your budget - and what you require to stretch to the top-end.
Then look for an agent

But renting is a good idea - and overwintering too.... some lovely places have real issues with humidity in winter. Others are overrun by tourists in Summer..... but that's easier to anticipate.

Also, check you're no being sold a view that can disappear..... I'm sure there are a few people in Olhao less than impressed by the new building going on and blocking their view of the Ria.....

Last edited by macliam; Jun 10th 2019 at 9:25 pm.