Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Long Term Rentals?

Long Term Rentals?

Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

lots is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long Term Rentals?

Can anyone give any advice on long term rentals...what would the likelihood of finding a 2+ bedroom furnished villa with a private pool in a rural location within 80km of Albufeira for 700Euros or less a month?

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Re: Long Term Rentals?

I think the chances would be low to average but more likely at nearer 1000 a month but only if you were beginning the rental period in September/October. As it is now owners are geared up for €1000 + per week for that kind of property and would prefer to take their chances for the summer season and consider a long term rental only afterwards.

Put yourself in the owners shoes - if you owned an asset valued at say €400,000 wouldn't you want at least a 3% return on your money ?
Old Apr 29th 2015, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

The tax rules are also different for long term rentals,which puts many owners off.My YD just had a family looking for a long term rental in the Lagos area, 4bed villa with pool etc..No chance,they gave up and went to Almancil,found one with great difficulty.It's a real problem for people who actually want to live and work here,not just come for a holiday
Old Apr 30th 2015, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

It's true; while they [supposedly] eased the tax rules for tourist rentals, they really put the boot in for residential landlords. High flat tax rate with practically no deductions allowed.
Old May 4th 2015, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Wendy Crowther is an unknown quantity at this point

We are looking to rent in Albufeira for eight months as from Sept 2015 -April 2016 a one bedroom apartment we do not need a cleaner etc and will happily pay extra for utilities. We are a middle aged couple who just enjoy Albufeira please email me with any suggestions on <snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 5th 2015 at 11:52 am. Reason: Email address removed to save you from the spambots/weirdos, it's a public forum! Folks can contact you via the forum instead
Old May 5th 2015, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liveaboard
It's true; while they [supposedly] eased the tax rules for tourist rentals, they really put the boot in for residential landlords. High flat tax rate with practically no deductions allowed.
Rules change as from 2015 tax year - most expenses are now deductible as long as tax numbers are included in expense invoices, etc (no proper invoices - no deduction). Under category F, certain expenses are still limited such as financing costs, furniture and decorative expenses (presumably curtains, bedding and such) (in the case of furnished rentals). Presumably these expenses are deductible under category B - though, should register as a business with the tax authorities.
Old May 7th 2015, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, more complications... My rental income is from another country, but is taxed in Portugal.
Aside from expenses, it's now taxed at a flat rate that works out very badly for me, and I don't get deductions for things like my health costs that I used to.
They're taxing long term rentals in a way that is very punishing to small landlords.
I wait to hear from my accountant on the matter.
Old May 7th 2015, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Is there no double tax treaty with this country? Normally rents are taxable in the paying country.
Old May 7th 2015, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

You're right, but this case is different. The country where the property is located does not levy any tax on the rental income when the owner is not a resident there.
If I moved to a country that didn't tax my worldwide income, I wouldn't have to pay at all.
Old May 7th 2015, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

You did not answer my question - you have to look at the double tax treaty, it might be that the accountant filled in the incorrect tax form - often happens - you need to double check.
Old May 7th 2015, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, there is a double tax treaty, but it does not apply to me; I am not taxed, except in Portugal. Just the once. Not double.
This income is not taxed by the country where it is generated; I understand this is usually the case with property rental income, but not in this case.
That has been confirmed in writing by the tax authorities there. I have to pay tax on the income only to the Portuguese financas.
My accountant is considered an authority on European double tax treaties, so I'll trust his advice on this.
Old May 12th 2015, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Portugal, England, Thailand, soon to be New Zealand
blownaway is an unknown quantity at this point

One option is to found a house sit:

House Sitting Made Easy: TrustedHousesitters.com
Old May 19th 2015, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

We are in the position of thinking about re-retiring there. We retired to BC Canada but it's not for us. Now we're looking at Portugal, and need a base to look around. I'll follow this thread with interest. Good luck!