Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Lithium mining in Portugal

Lithium mining in Portugal

Old Dec 8th 2020, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lithium mining in Portugal

An interesting read.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/202...secret-lithium
Old Dec 8th 2020, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lithium mining in Portugal

Not sure which way to lean - helping the economy, or preserving the environment ... what a quandary!
But of major importance has to be what happens to the rivers, both locally and downstream. Very interesting article.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lithium mining in Portugal

The main objection to mining seems to be that local residents will be upset.

There are always environmental impacts; they can be reduced [but never eliminated] by good regulation and oversight by regulators.
This is where environmental groups could really work; but they don't.
Their funding and popular support comes from those interested in stopping the mines completely. So they try by all means, and when they fail they just move on.
We humans are 7.8 billion. The environmental impact of this huge population can't be eliminated. Mining will take place somewhere.

If it was in my village, I'd be full on with those groups to try and stop it. Not for the planet, for myself and my neighbors.

The thing is, once that battle is [inevitably] lost, there's no one interested in the boring day to day grind of ensuring that the industry obeys rules that cost them money, and minimize pollution.

Compromise is a lot of work.