Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Lisbon - Lagos Transfers

Lisbon - Lagos Transfers

Old Jan 4th 2021, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lisbon - Lagos Transfers

I'm now plotting my return to the Algarve, and flying from Asia I have to arrive in Lisbon. I've just checked the train details and it will take me four hours to get to Lagos after a three-plus-hour wait in Lisbon. Does anyone know of a cost-effective and reliable transportation service that provides transport from Lisbon to the Algarve? Thanks in advance, R
Old Jan 4th 2021, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lisbon - Lagos Transfers

Are you going to hire a car anyway when you get there? I would just hire a car and drop it off at Faro airport when you don't need it. When I looked into it recently it was only about 3 euros cheaper to do a one day drop than for a 12 day hire. It cost us about 123e including the motorway gadget.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Lisbon/Lagos-Faro-Portugal offers some options by bus but I can't advise about the connections from the airport.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

I'd keep off public transport if I could.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 9:29 am
Just Joined

charleyfarley is an unknown quantity at this point

Yellowfish Transfers usually operate out of Faro but have been doing Algarve-Lisbon Airport runs for a while. Google them and ask for a quote?
Old Jan 6th 2021, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all comments. After much research and asking myself how much stress I want to add to my life after 20 hours of flying I have decided to spend Monday night in the airport hotel, which will give me the opportunity to have a wizz around Lisbon in the afternoon and then take the 10am train down to the lovely city of Lagos on Tuesday. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should see on my "wizz" around Lisbon it would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
Thanks for all comments. After much research and asking myself how much stress I want to add to my life after 20 hours of flying I have decided to spend Monday night in the airport hotel, which will give me the opportunity to have a wizz around Lisbon in the afternoon and then take the 10am train down to the lovely city of Lagos on Tuesday. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should see on my "wizz" around Lisbon it would be much appreciated.
Get a guide book to Lisbon or, better still, get a guide book to Portugal at an airport. I bought the Dorling Kindersley Guide to Portugal and use it whenever I explore the country.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

Assume you are aware a change of trains is necessary in Tunes.

Old Jan 6th 2021, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sportpix
I thought Lisbon had a higher rate of Covid,are you sure you want to whizz round there?
Old Jan 6th 2021, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st
Assume you are aware a change of trains is necessary in Tunes.
I am, yes. It seems it’s another hour from there to Lagos but getting a taxi from Tunes to Portimão to the car hire place will be the same time overall plus the additional cost of the taxi. Easier for me to get the train back to Portimão the following day to pick up the car.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 10:51 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Lisbon of course is a 'must see' . But I am not sure that you are planning on a wise way of doing it.

My own thought would be stay as safe as possible in your house until you get the vaccine, thus minimise contact with others until that date.

Staying overnight at a hotel and wizzing around Lisbon now would be the opposite of that.

Off hand I can't think of any public lavatories available in Lisbon.........others may have suggestions. Are bars open at the moment ??

If you have never seen Lisbon before my suggestion would be get a taxi from the hotel to Largo do Rato.

From there you can walk along the Rua da Escola Politêcnica...........Take in the Miradouro from the Bairro Alto............walk down the hill to Praça Luís de Camões.

There you can sit for a drink at the Brasileira Café. You will see poet Fernando Pessoa sat outside. ( Use the lavatories ).

Refreshed, walk down hill again through Chiado to Restauradores.

From there walk through the Pombal grid of streets down to the river.

Then walk back slowly the same route. Plenty of restaurants ( if they are open ?? ) in the Bairro Alto before getting cab back to Hotel.

As I say I wouldn't do it at the moment, until Dr Vaccine pays you a visit. But that route would be my standard 'Introduction to Lisbon' recommendation for someone having just a day to potter around.

Can't you just get a connecting flight from Lisbon to Faro, then entrain or cab to destination ?

Old Jan 6th 2021, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

It is probably worth taking the little elevator up to the Castle of Sao Jorge to give you splendid views over the city, and then you could walk down through the old part of the city back to sea level.
https://www.lisbonportugaltourism.com/guide/castle.html

Quote from Tripadvisor
How to Get to Lisbon's Castle

The castle is a pleasant walk from downtown, if you follow the tram tracks up the hill, past the cathedral. If you want to save your legs, take bus 737 that departs from Praça da Figueira and ends right by the gate. Trams 28 and 12 also pass nearby.
There are also a couple of free public elevators that link downtown to the castle hill. The first one is on number 178 of Rua dos Fanqueiros, and goes up to Rua da Madalena, where you turn the corner to Largo Chão do Loureiro and take another elevator to Costa do Castelo, a street that leads up to the castle.
You may ride the bus and trams for free with the Lisboa Card.

And Tripadvisor advertise a walking tour - ticket available this weekend and seems to be working under Covid-19 resitrictions
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Portugal.html

Then there is this
https://castelo-sao-jorge.bybluetick...?IdEvento=4971
Tickets - Due to the new restrictions on the movement of people imposed by the Government due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we inform you that the Castle of S. Jorge on the coming weekends (2 and 3 January), will be open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Can't find any more recent times restrictions for this weekend ... but the Tripadvisor route starts at 2.30 pm so must visit in the afternoon?