Left hand bias?

Old Jul 3rd 2018, 11:34 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Left hand bias?

I know there are cultural/religious foundations for a bias against left-handedness in some parts of the world - but has anyone else come across this in Portugal?

I am naturally right-handed, but a serious accident many years ago left me with a right arm broken in several places and needing a titanium plate to pull it all together. During that time, I was more or less forced to go left-handed for a couple of months and then again after an operation to remove the plate. So, I don't feel comfortable writing with my left hand, but I'm happy to use tools that way if it makes sense. That's the background.

So, over the course of my long marriage, I have gotten use to SWMBO getting quite agitated if I use my left hand to pick up something, etc. - usually with the charming comment "You can't do that properly with your right hand, much less your left!" I have also had similar comments from other Portuguese over the years. Then, the other day when discussing driving in the UK with a Portuguese friend, he said "But changing gears with your left hand? That's crazy - why would you do that?!!"

So, my question is, have you noticed a bias against left-handedness in Portugal? ..... or is it me just being cack-handed in general
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Left hand bias?

My OH is left handed. I can't say we've noticed anything. I'm slightly ambidextrous. I can paint with either hand, I shoot left handed but I can use a bow and arrow left or right handed.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Then, the other day when discussing driving in the UK with a Portuguese friend, he said "But changing gears with your left hand? That's crazy - why would you do that?!!"
It's fun in a LHD car, due to a broken right arm
Old Jul 4th 2018, 7:03 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Just answer - well napoleon was left handed, when they say ‘and look what happened to him’ you say ‘so was wellington...’
Old Jul 4th 2018, 11:21 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Just answer - well napoleon was left handed, when they say ‘and look what happened to him’ you say ‘so was wellington...’
But is that true? There seems to be a lot of argument about Napoleon - no contemporary mentions it - and although, allegedly, many military commanders were left-handed, there is a cast of Wellington's right hand in the V&A, not his left. One thing is certain - Nelson was left-handed after Santa Cruz de Tenerife!
Old Jul 9th 2018, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

My left handed OH loves to say that .. He always adds that all great men in history were 'probable' left handed ..like him.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 7:16 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

You can add this - when we get onto a plane it’s always by a door on the left. Why is this?

The true answer is because medaeval knights carry their swords on their left hip.

Now find the link 😉
Old Jul 10th 2018, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

You can add this - when we get onto a plane it’s always by a door on the left. Why is this?

The true answer is because medaeval knights carry their swords on their left hip.

Now find the link 😉

AND They needed to keep their sword hand free.Its why the British drive on the left.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB
AND They needed to keep their sword hand free.Its why the British drive on the left.
n

Sorry but no banana yet.

That’s not the reason we enter planes on the left, and driving on the left is not related. That is because you keep your opponents on the side where you fight them best if right handed, so walk or drive on the left.

https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/