Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Learning the Potuguese Language

Wikiposts

Learning the Potuguese Language

Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of
Default Re: Learning the Potuguese Language

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog
So, don't learn how to spell words yet as it will change when Brazilian Portuguese takes over.
Or pursuade the Portuguese goverment to adopt English instead of Brasilian Portuguese. Might prove easier than learning Portuguese, especially when you don't even know which of them you need to learn.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:53 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PubChampion
Or pursuade the Portuguese goverment to adopt English instead of Brasilian Portuguese. Might prove easier than learning Portuguese, especially when you don't even know which of them you need to learn.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

local is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PubChampion
ahahhaahaa!!!! you have a great sense of humour, you know that??!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:13 am
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning the Portuguese Language

Originally Posted by whitehorse
Thanks guys

Really enjoyed the help and the amusing stories.

I am horrified that Portugal is giving up it's national language to Brazilian Portuguese. Surely the Portuguese took the language to South America, so yours is the original. I guess economics and numbers of population are at the core of this odd decision. Bit like the UK adopting Australian English

Thanks for all the comments on losing the 'o's and the is it or isn't it 'Faz'

How do the Portuguese say 'Cherio' rather than the more formal 'Good-bye'

I have as candidates - 'Adeus' - {I understand only for close friends} or 'Até breve' or or Até logo' or até a próxima or 'Tchau' { but that may be Brazilian}. Which are in common usage? Your feedback would be appreciated.

regards

Ray

ciao is very common

Ate Logo also BUT most times we say it ...Telogo... Drop the A glue the Te and the Logo together.

Last edited by cavalierhome; Sep 6th 2008 at 12:23 am.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:21 am
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute

There is a very big difference between conversational Portuguese (the real stuff) and what books and schools say.

Don't anybody hold your breath about Brazilian becoming the language in PT... That will never actually happen in terms of how we speak.

It's a matter of expression that makes how we speak different from how we are supposed to speak.

For example... "I understand" ... "Eu comprendo".... well not really most times we simply say "Claro” meaning clear or transparent... But it also means I understand when used at the right moment.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:33 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cavalierhome
There is a very big difference between conversational Portuguese (the real stuff) and what books and schools say.

Don't anybody hold your breath about Brazilian becoming the language in PT... That will never actually happen in terms of how we speak.

It's a matter of expression that makes how we speak different from how we are supposed to speak.

For example... "I understand" ... "Eu comprendo".... well not really most times we simply say "Claro” meaning clear or transparent... But it also means I understand when used at the right moment.
Or just "Clar" as they say here
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:33 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazz
..... found a brazilian lad off the internet.........
Bet you did
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:35 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Bet you did
Had to pick him up from the train station many a time
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:35 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cavalierhome

I also noticed a wide use of the word 'tambem' which means 'also' when agreeing with someone. This was on the Silver Coast though.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:39 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

I also noticed a wide use of the word 'tambem' which means 'also' when agreeing with someone. This was on the Silver Coast though.
or Equal used as "me too" or "the same"
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

local is on a distinguished road

Oh, no, we won't have brazilian accent 'era só mais o que faltava! Cavalierhome, is there any English expression to ilustrate the one above in English?
What we are about to have as the same as in Brazilian is the written...which for me makes no sense to say the word FACT as 'fato' without the 'c' that's the same as suit!

Facto - fact
Fato - suit

They want to keep the word FATO for suit and for fact. (without the 'c' )

Last edited by local; Sep 6th 2008 at 4:11 am.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:30 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Bet you did
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:49 am
ex-squaddie

Originally Posted by local
Oh, no, we won't have brazilian accent 'era só mais o que faltava! Cavalierhome, is there any English expression to ilustrate the one above in English?
What we are about to have as the same as in Brazilian is the written...which for me makes no sense to say the word FACT as 'fato' without the 'c' that's the same as suit!

Facto - fact
Fato - suit

They want to keep the word FATO for suit and for fact. (without the 'c' )
Whereas in English 'Fatto' means my ex-wife.

With a capital 'C'
Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:27 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Whereas in English 'Fatto' means my ex-wife.

With a capital 'C'

stop it
Old Sep 6th 2008, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

bran is an unknown quantity at this point

im so happy brazilian portuguese is taking over!!!
i had a choice, whether to learn brazilian portuguese from my two brazilian friends (who happen to be korean and phillipino, just grew up in sao paulo) vs my portuguese friend, who grew up in portugal. after months of hearing all of them speaking, i knew i had to learn brazilian portuguese, everyone agrees it sounds SOOOOOOOOOOO much cooler!!!!!

i loooooove portuguese (brazilian, that is)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.