Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Learning Portuguese

Learning Portuguese

Old May 27th 2021, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Portuguese

I have an old book (well at least 30 years old) that I have just dusted off and started to use again. I find it quite useful because it imitates the pronunciation of each word. Though I'm a bit further on than the beginners stage with Portuguese I still have difficulty listening to them when speaking.Get quite a thrill when i can understand a few words on the TV news. I like the way it works with small translation exercises as you progress.
It is Hugo's "Portuguese in 3 months."
Don't know if it is still printed but I think you may be able to 2nd hand copies.
Old May 27th 2021, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toots sweet
I have an old book (well at least 30 years old) that I have just dusted off and started to use again. I find it quite useful because it imitates the pronunciation of each word. Though I'm a bit further on than the beginners stage with Portuguese I still have difficulty listening to them when speaking.Get quite a thrill when i can understand a few words on the TV news. I like the way it works with small translation exercises as you progress.
Don't know if it is still printed but I think you may be able to 2nd hand copies.
I learned a good deal of Spanish with that series. I tried to get hold of Hugo for Portuguese but couldn't find one, I think it's out of print.

eta: Just look on ebay and they have some, but only the books,no tape or cds.

Last edited by bons; May 27th 2021 at 10:54 am.
Old May 27th 2021, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Is that European or Brazilian Portuguese?
Old May 27th 2021, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Looks European to me.
Old May 28th 2021, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same difficulty, but at a less advanced stage than you,,I can say a few phrases but can't undertand even short replies.
I did an online search and found that this is a common problem, listening skills take a lot longer time to develop.
A major problem appears to be finding listening materials appropriate to your stage in learning.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

CALewis is an unknown quantity at this point

What about push and pull being the ‘wrong’ way round in português?!! How many times have I banged my head in a door that says puxe!

I have deepl.com open all the time on my phone. I often go into the local admin offices with my reason for being there already translated by deepl and just show them the phone. They don’t mind. I know hundreds of Portuguese words but my pronunciation is apparently beyond the ability of most Portuguese to understand me so I let my Belgian husband do the talking as they seem to understand him better.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ha! I know hundreds of Portuguese words too , so why can't I make a sentence out of them !!
Old Jun 19th 2021, 3:46 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CALewis
What about push and pull being the ‘wrong’ way round in português?!! How many times have I banged my head in a door that says puxe!

I have deepl.com open all the time on my phone. I often go into the local admin offices with my reason for being there already translated by deepl and just show them the phone. They don’t mind. I know hundreds of Portuguese words but my pronunciation is apparently beyond the ability of most Portuguese to understand me so I let my Belgian husband do the talking as they seem to understand him better.
I also try to push on a door marked "puxe", just because the word seems similar to push.......... But it's not that Portuguese has it "the wrong way round", after all, the Portuguese word for push doesn't sound anything like "pull", does it?

Your Belgian husband's familiarity with nasal sounds probably gives him an advantage in pronunciation, since most English speakers seem to have a problem with them..... I've met many expats who can't even pronounce the name of a neighbouring town, let alone hold a conversation!
Old Jun 19th 2021, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

CALewis is an unknown quantity at this point

My Portuguese friend’s kids have hours of fun teaching me simple Portuguese words and then listening to my attempts at pronunciation.

But on the positive side, I have noticed that after two years here, I am starting to pick out a lot of words and even occasionally understand things that are said to me. I can now even hold short conversations with that horror of horrors the delivery driver phoning up to find out where your house is…….
Old Jun 19th 2021, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

sam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the rough

I've got the Hugo book - it's pretty good, particularly if you've got a very basic level already in place (it gets advanced quickly..! But if you like fast learning, grammar and are dedicated, I think it's good). I dip in and out of it. The accompanying CDs / audio was out of circulation - i contacted the publisher a few years ago and they confirmed they weren't supplying it any more. I managed to get a copy of the CD/ audio from ebay (after looking for ages), so you can try there, or if you have issues, let me know.
Old Jun 21st 2021, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sam349
I've got the Hugo book - it's pretty good, particularly if you've got a very basic level already in place (it gets advanced quickly..! But if you like fast learning, grammar and are dedicated, I think it's good). I dip in and out of it. The accompanying CDs / audio was out of circulation - i contacted the publisher a few years ago and they confirmed they weren't supplying it any more. I managed to get a copy of the CD/ audio from ebay (after looking for ages), so you can try there, or if you have issues, let me know.
Hi Sam349, I have that book and it’s frustrating the heck out of me because the CD was lost in transit. I also contacted the publishers, asking if the sound files were available to purchase and download. They passed the request to their IT but nothing, that was over a year ago and now I don’t get any response from them. It’s a shame because the book is useful, I’ll keep trying.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

I've just found this video that explains the different sounds of the letter S.
It's even more complicated than I thought.

They also have a Word of the Week.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ricko
I've just found this video that explains the different sounds of the letter S.
It's even more complicated than I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmEEQJTf-0

They also have a Word of the Week.
In case the link doesn't show, try:

Old Jul 1st 2021, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ricko
In case the link doesn't show, try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmEEQJTf-0
Thanks for that, just what I need.