Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Learning Portuguese

Learning Portuguese

Old Jan 10th 2021, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Portuguese

Originally Posted by wellinever
or shout and dont let you finish a sentence and just carry on talking for ever and ever and ever, and then they ask themselves another question (and why)
Spot on. Our cleaner is a perfect example, even when she is speaking English. I try to avoid her on Wednesday afternoons. I hide far away and do my ironing.
Old Jan 10th 2021, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Spot on. Our cleaner is a perfect example, even when she is speaking English. I try to avoid her on Wednesday afternoons. I hide far away and do my ironing.
Italians operate in the same way. You get a lot of chat but in the middle of it there might be a something useful that is easy to miss.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

I have been very much enjoying the free language training videos here ...

https://www.youtube.com/c/TalktheStreets/videos

And found they filled a lot of gaps in my rather 'intermediate' Portuguese language level. The lady (Liz) is a great teacher and fully deserves a few more YouTube supporters
Old Jan 25th 2021, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrBife
I have been very much enjoying the free language training videos here ...

https://www.youtube.com/c/TalktheStreets/videos

And found they filled a lot of gaps in my rather 'intermediate' Portuguese language level. The lady (Liz) is a great teacher and fully deserves a few more YouTube supporters
Thanks, I'm looking into that. Anything that can help...
Old Jan 26th 2021, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, Liz is brilliant. Also Leonardo of Portuguese with Leo.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

I recently tried the Pimsleur course and thought it excellent for beginners.
Unfortunately there are a limited number lessons and so it doesn't take you very far.
I also found the BBC website ( BBC - Languages - Portuguese - Talk Portuguese - A video introduction to Portuguese ) and the BBC Talk Portuguese course very useful.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

To you clever people who can understand and speak Portuguese well, do you often say or hear, O senhor and A senhora for the formal 'you'.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, I was told by my Portuguese wife just this week that I should never use 'Você' but always use 'O/A Senhore/a' as the former sounds a bit rude

Mind you, I could have written 'common' instead of 'rude' as she is an Alfacinha
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

"Você" is a total no-no in Portugal, no? Made a big faux pas using it with my ex-landlord, and I don't think the relationship ever recovered!

I'd use 3rd person verb but probably without the "o senhor". But then I'm not a fluent Portuguese speaker, so what do I know?!
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not 'fluent', well I can talk fluently, but its not good
The problem for me of just using the 3rd person verb and dropping the subject (is that a subject? I was at school when the UK decided teaching grammar structure was a bad thing, sorry) is that especially for irregulars I never really know if I have conjugated correctly and so tend to say 'Você' or whatever to ensure they know who I am talking about

Actually, I find that one of the hardest things - trying to understand who is doing what to who if I dont know the conjugations properly. In English its easy cause we dont much drop the 'he' she' 'them 'us' etc (sometimes we do -'hope you are alright')

Actually my main problem is that I dont talk sense in any language, I am null-lingual
Old Feb 4th 2021, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Midgo
I'm not 'fluent', well I can talk fluently, but its not good
The problem for me of just using the 3rd person verb and dropping the subject (is that a subject? I was at school when the UK decided teaching grammar structure was a bad thing, sorry) is that especially for irregulars I never really know if I have conjugated correctly and so tend to say 'Você' or whatever to ensure they know who I am talking about

Actually, I find that one of the hardest things - trying to understand who is doing what to who if I dont know the conjugations properly. In English its easy cause we dont much drop the 'he' she' 'them 'us' etc (sometimes we do -'hope you are alright')

Actually my main problem is that I dont talk sense in any language, I am null-lingual
Lol, I'm sure you're not! It just that I've never encountered anything like the O senhor, A senhora rule and it's totally knocked me off kilter with the language. Basically I have to just remember that it's second person singular, but formal. Maybe just use the conjucation rather than the subject.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Portuguese IS a bit tricky...(and my PT OH agrees) They have numerous words all meaning the same. For example, recently I have noticed on the TV that they use the word "altura" for "time" to mean (maybe not this) time. Always thought "altura" meant height. In English time is just... time! Another thing I find is that some words are a bit illogical/confusing . Eg the verb "subir" means to rise(numbers rising etc) Anything with "sub" in it must surely be under or below ... submarine, subterranean, so lower. What a confusing language.... AND they speak too fast!!!! I cheat a bit cos I use a hearing aid in one ear and I'll point to it, shake my head and hope they speak slower.
All languages are difficult. English is extremely difficult for foreign learners.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scot47
All languages are difficult. English is extremely difficult for foreign learners.
Portuguese is the trickiest language I've tried to learn.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.. I've only just learned voce is a bit of a "faux pas". Always thought it was meant that you held the person in some regard similar to French "vous"
Knowing when to use the eu,tu,ele.ela,eles etc. is also confusing and when they start putting "se" in front of verbs ..Well!!!! I also think knowing other languages can sometimes be a hindrance. I sometimes find myself putting in a few French words by mistake. I think my verbal has got a bit better. Can get sliced bread now! ,but understanding them speaking ..not a chance at the moment. Relying too much on the PT news subtitles so don't listen to the speaker.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 10:40 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

YES ! O senhor and A senhora are definitely still in use and should be used to address anyone with whom you are not on friendly / first name terms. They take the third person of the verb, not the second.

So for example ' A senhora fala inglês , se faz favor ? ' .

Você is much less formal and should be used only if your interlocutor starts using it to you. This is how I understand it anyway.

Brazilian Portuguese has different usages - they use Você a lot more, including INformally, to friends. But I wouldn't go down that route within Portugal. Just be aware of it if you watch films subtitled in Brazilian. ( Which is most films on netflix for example ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.